Would you install ZfD4 on this?

We have about 250 users maximum on our Novell 5.1 server running eDir
8.7. I
am testing ZfD4 for use in a pure MS environment.

Would anyone recommend installing it on our only Novell 5.1 server
which
currently runs ZfD 3.2 for as many users as we have? I'd like to
install the
full suite including middle-tier server but I may install MT Server on
Windows box for performance reasons.

Our server is a Dell dual 1.8Ghz PIII with 1GB Ram and Raid 5 62GB of
storage total.

0
Dana
7/30/2003 5:29:00 PM
novell.zenworks.4x.install 2374 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Dana Dukes says...
> Would anyone recommend installing it on our only Novell 5.1 server
which
> currently runs ZfD 3.2 for as many users as we have? I'd like to
install the
> full suite including middle-tier server but I may install MT Server
on a
> Windows box for performance reasons.

You should have 2 servers with a replica.....

dual processors don't really help with zfd and depending what you are
trying to do it will be sufficient, keep in mind that you should
enable
access to resources in a pure ms environment via MS share and not via
the middletier.
--
Marcus Breiden

Those who understand binary and those who don't.
Replace the _ with a . to mail me.
The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
All typing and spelling mistakes are copyright (c) 2004

0
Marcus
7/30/2003 10:15:47 PM
When you say "replica", do you mean adding another Netware server or
do you
mean adding a Win2K server box with eDir to the tree?

Also you mention I should 'enable access to resources in a pure ms
environment via MS share and not middletier'. What exactly do you mean
when
you say this? I didn't know you could do that with MT. Add to that,
we're
not going pure MS now, so we will keep our Netware servers but I just
want
the best scenario for the full suite of ZfD4.

Thanks Marcus

"Marcus Breiden" <marcus_breiden@gmx.net> wrote in message
> Dana Dukes says...
> > Would anyone recommend installing it on our only Novell 5.1 server
which
> > currently runs ZfD 3.2 for as many users as we have? I'd like to
install
the
> > full suite including middle-tier server but I may install MT
Server on a
> > Windows box for performance reasons.
> >

> You should have 2 servers with a replica.....
>
> dual processors don't really help with zfd and depending what you
are
> trying to do it will be sufficient, keep in mind that you should
enable
> access to resources in a pure ms environment via MS share and not
via
> the middletier.
> --
> Marcus Breiden
>
> There are only 10 types of people in the world:
> Those who understand binary and those who don't.
> Replace the _ with a . to mail me.
> The content of this mail is my private and personal opinion.
> All typing and spelling mistakes are copyright (c) 2004

0
Dana
7/31/2003 3:14:52 PM
Dana Dukes says...
> When you say "replica", do you mean adding another Netware server or
do you
> mean adding a Win2K server box with eDir to the tree?

doesn't matter you could even use a linux or sun box.

> Also you mention I should 'enable access to resources in a pure ms
> environment via MS share and not middletier'. What exactly do you
mean when
> you say this? I didn't know you could do that with MT. Add to that,
we're
> not going pure MS now, so we will keep our Netware servers but I
just want
> the best scenario for the full suite of ZfD4.

The agent will try to access sources via the middletier if he is
unable
to get to them directly (only in case of snapshot, msi is manual
config), so it makes sense to directly access the sources on a server
and not go via a middletier which would increase (depending on your
scenario) the traffic to the double amount.