A Mess, 10.0.3 to 10.0.3.2

Ok,

I did the update over the weekend and we are in a slight mess.

what has happened.

previously we did the 10.0.3 update but didn't deploy the updated agent
to machines due to the win32 collector issue (it only went to some
workstations in a staging group).

over the weekend, we updated our 2 zcm servers to 10.0.3, deployed the
agents to 2 staging groups, one of which was all 10.0.3 agents, the
other a mixed bag of 10.0.3 and 10.0.1.

the 10.0.3 agents all updated and rebooted. the 10.0.1 is reporting
that the update is assigned but the agents are not updating, they are
all reported as pending in ZCC. has been like this for 48 hours.

I figured I would try a manual update process. I un-registered the zen
agent on a 10.0.1 workstations, uninstalled the agent, did a discovery
and deployment to the workstation, it rebooted and promptly had the
win32 collector issue. on checking the levels of agent, it is all
running the 10.0.3 agents and not the updated 10.0.3.2 agents.

can someone tell me what the hell is going ??? and how to dig our way
out of this hole.

Questions

1. why haven't the zenagent installs been updated for the deployment
tasks to 10.0.3.2 ? (and how do I ensure they are updated)
2. why aren't the 10.0.1 agents updating ?
3. At what point should I put confidence back into this product ? cause
we have lost all confidence  in ZCM currently and are now looking at
alternatives like downgrading to ZFD to get the production environment
stable again.

So far, ZCM has really hurt not only our IT department but Novell's
image within the company.

--
diveboy

diveboy
8/25/2008 1:36:01 AM
novell.zenworks.10.install 2954 articles. 0 followers. Follow

further testing has provided the following.

if we install the agent from the 2nd server that was installed with
10.0.3 and updated, the agent deploys 10.0.3 and then updates to
10.0.3.2.

but if we use our original 10.0.0.0 server, it only deploys the 10.0.1
agents. something is borked on that server.

--
diveboy
diveboy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8952

0
diveboy
8/25/2008 2:46:01 AM
diveboy said on 8/24/2008,

>I did the update over the weekend and we are in a slight mess.
>
>what has happened.
>
>previously we did the 10.0.3 update but didn't deploy the updated agent
>to machines due to the win32 collector issue (it only went to some
>workstations in a staging group).

Why are you not installing 10.1?

--
Jared Jennings - Data Technique, Inc.
Novell Support Forums Sysop

no faith in the product.

if novell can't get it right after 5 patches in as many months, why
would I want to take our production environment there ?

seriously, I and others are doubting this product. we have proven that
the 10.0.3.2 update hasn't applied correctly to our primary server, so
doing a major update is beyond question.

our thinking is to bring up another ZCM Zone all with 10.1 and cut all
devices over to it.

but yeh, This product has removed my trust in Novell to get shit right
the first time and that is really sad, cause i've been a Novell fan from
way back, guess we can say they have adopted the microsoft policy,
deploy now and release the real product with Service Pack 2. Sorry, but
this is beyond a joke. There isn't any way I would recommend any one to
be moving to ZCM as of 10.0.3.2. I can't comment on 10.1 as I am just
about to start runnning it up in our lab.

--
diveboy
diveboy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8952
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=341135

0
diveboy
8/25/2008 8:26:02 AM
> 1. why haven't the zenagent installs been updated for the deployment
> tasks to 10.0.3.2 ? (and how do I ensure they are updated)

The agent on the server will get updates after all workstations moved to
10.0.3.2, at that time the update wioll become "baseline" and the agent on
the server will be updated.

> 2. why aren't the 10.0.1 agents updating ?

With 10.0.3 ZCM introduced a new SystemUpdate component. 10.0.1 agents will
need the 10.0.3 update first before they can go to 10.0.3.2. Do you still
have the 10.0.3 update available?

> 3. At what point should I put confidence back into this product ? cause
> we have lost all confidence  in ZCM currently and are now looking at
> alternatives like downgrading to ZFD to get the production environment
> stable again.

Difficult to say, most people seem to like the progress that has been made
with 10.0.3.2 and especially the 10.1 release. Yes, update has been a major
pain in the ..... but with the new systemupdate that got introduced with
10.0.3 thing's seem to get much better (but yes you'll have to get to 10.0.3
on your agents first).

Ron

0
Ron