NetWare 4.1 Upgrade To NetWare 4.2

We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need
upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be
downloaded and installed?

John G.

jagaman@adelphia.net

0
John
8/20/2003 11:02:59 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

The reason for the upgrade was so we could use Backup Exec 9

John A. Goodrich wrote:
> We are currently running a 25 user netware 4.1 with patches and need
> upgrade to netware 4.2. Is this a patch? a new OS? Can this be
> downloaded and installed?
>
> John G.
>
> jagaman@adelphia.net

0
John
8/20/2003 11:19:03 PM
You need to purchase Netware 4.2 with the appropriate number of user
licenses.  Since you have only 25 users, a Small business version is a

reasonable solution.

I would strongly advise you to upgrade to Netware 6.0 Small Business.

This will best be done by a new install since there is no direct
migration
path between 4.10 and 6.  With only 25 users, this shouldn't be much
of a
problem though.
--
Dave Lunn
NSF SysOp

0
Dave
8/21/2003 12:31:53 AM
Thanks for your responce, do you know of any tape backup software
packages that run on netware 4.1 that are available for purchase,
besides the netware tape backup software.

Dave Lunn wrote:
> You need to purchase Netware 4.2 with the appropriate number of user

> licenses.  Since you have only 25 users, a Small business version is
> reasonable solution.
>
> I would strongly advise you to upgrade to Netware 6.0 Small
Business.

> This will best be done by a new install since there is no direct
migration
> path between 4.10 and 6.  With only 25 users, this shouldn't be much
of a
> problem though.

0
John
8/21/2003 12:40:38 AM
It is a separate product that has to be purchased.

http://www.novell.com/products/netware4/
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Connection Volunteer SysOp

 OneNet is better than nothing.NET

 Opinions expressed in the above text are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
8/21/2003 12:51:01 AM
John.,

I would go to http://www.portlocksoftware.com  and look at their stuff
for
cloning drives and think about this from the standpoint of backing up
to a
removeable IDE drive.

Otherwise, you are likely best off with BE 8.0/8.5 which IIRC will run
with
4.10  You can get those versions of BE on ebay pretty cheap too.  I
cannot
in good concience recommend AS for that job.

If this is a single server tree you will be hard put to do better than
the
portlock product for efficiency and cost.
--
Dave Lunn
NSF SysOp

0
Dave

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Installing one Netware 4.2 in a Netware 5.1 enviroment
We have to install a Netware 4.2 server in a Netware 5.1 SP6 enviroment with NDS Version 85.30 (Twenty 5.1 Servers). We also so have three Netware 6 servers with eDir 8.6.2 Can we do this? If so what patches and problems should we expect? BM Yes, you can do this. Apply SP9 after installing 4.2, then the latest DS update, v6.21. You can get them here: http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/nw4sp9.exe http://support.novell.com/servlet/filedownload/uns/pub/ds621.exe Look for other patches you might want/need here: http://support.novell.com/filef...

Upgrading Netware 4.11 to 4.2
HI, I am seeking some advice, I need to upgrade a v4.11(10user) netware server to V4.2, due to having to upgrade backupexec to veritas backupexec 9.1 and the OFA. I just wanted to find out if i just purchase the netware 4.2 media kit, will I have any hassles installing this....( will I have any licencing issues to worry about) It has been a while since I have had to worry about an upgrade and just wanted to check. thanks for any assistance David > I am seeking some advice, I need to upgrade a v4.11(10user) netware server > to V4.2, due to having ...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 how?????
Hello I need help on how to upgrade Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 I installed Netware 4.1 on a single network server with 5 workstations back in 1995. Since then I have only had to upgrade some patches to correct for y2k. The server has been running great, but now the servers hardware is giving troulbe. Thank You Tom How many users? With <30 or so, I would just do a new install. You need a fairly differently configured box to do 6.5 -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com You can also try checking out the "Netware Migration Wizard" at ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Connecting Netware 4.1 and Netware 6 through a firewall
Hi folks, we have an Netware 4.11 Server with IPX (and IP) and a Netware 6 Server with IP (and IPX) in the same NDS tree. We want to bring the Netware 6 server in the DMZ of a firewall that does not route IPX packets. How can we assure, that the Netware 4.11 server in the trusted zone can still communicate (for NDS sync) with the Netware Netware 6 server in the DMZ. Can they communicate over IP (what ports have to be opened then at the firewall)? Thanks for you help. Achim Fokken > Can they communicate over IP (what ports have to be opened then at the >...

Netware 4.11 to Netware 6.0 upgrade
Hello, I have five NetWare 4.11 servers in WAN environment, three of them in the central location. I want to insert a new NetWare 6.0 server in existing NDS tree (only NetWare 4.11). All NetWare 4.11 servers will remain in their function for some months. What is the best method to do that ? I saw in TID 10075926 that Novell recommends installing new server as NetWare 4.11 and then upgrading to NetWare 6. I don't like that scenario. I have new HP Proliant DL 360 which not support NetWare 4.11. I also want NSS volume for SYS volume. I saw in support forums that someb...

Migration from Netware 4.2 to Netware 6.5
Ik want to migrate 2 Netware 4.2 server to 2 Netware 6.5 servers. I use the MgrtWiz. 6.5. This wizard give me the option to do a migration to Netware 6.5 from a Netware 4.2 server. But............. Yes, i have a problem.... The migration stops.... before he actual copy's a file to the destination servers.. The trustees are backuped... The destination server is a Netare 6.5 server installed with the overlay CD 6.5 sp 1... and over this i used the nw65sp1a pack... Also i updated the file nuwagent.nlm......on the servers What do i wrong...... > What do i wro...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 #2
I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. > I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a > clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or > is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. From reading other threds here, the 2 things to do first, is to upgrade to the most current eDirectory and the apply the most current patches to t...

Removing IPX support Netware 6,Netware 4.11
Hi all, Does anyone know a way of forcing Netware 4.11 to use IP instead of IPX as its preferred protocol? After removing IPX support from our netware 6 boxes, our netware 4.11 box can no longer communicate. I would have thought that it would attempt to use IP instead of IPX... I haven't had a lot of experience with netware 4.11 boxes. Thanks in advance, Ben. NW 4.11 can only use IPX for NCP communications. The only way to go what looks like IP only is to use Netware/IP or CMD, but both these are just ways of encapsulating IPX traffic in IP packets and they are no...

netware 4.1 #2
we have netware 4.1 running on an ibm x-220 server. Initially we had two identical x-220 servers mirrored using sft-iii. The HDD is ultra fast and wide SCSI (10000 rpm). DOS based. Clients through remote booting. Since the failure of one msl card, we are able to put only one server in line now. I would like to know the following options: 1. Can we migrate from 4.1 to higher versions keeping the DOS platform intact (ie. without using the GUI) 2. Is it possible to connect the second harddisk (same conf. as the first one) in the existing server and do mirroring? 3. If I configu...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Web resources about - NetWare 4.1 Upgrade To NetWare 4.2 - novell.support.netware.4x

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ