Convert 7 Netware 4 Servers to Netware 6.5 over T1's

Hello,

I have a client which is a bank and they have seven branches each with
a Netware 4 server (4.11 and 4.2) connected on a WAN. Most of them are
connected over fiber, but two of them are using T1 lines.

At some point they will have to stop using IPX - although they have a
stash of XP computers they will have to go to Vista one of these days.
They are paranoid about upgrading to NW6.5 - especially upgrading the
NDS. Most servers aren't even on NWSP9 yet because they read that all
should be upgraded at once, and they haven't had time to update all the
servers at once - the servers are never taken off line unless it is for
a hardware upgrade. It takes weeks (months sometimes) to schedule hw
upgrades because they are so busy.

What would be the best (and most stable) way of getting then upgraded
to NW6.5? Is it a problem to do one each weekend (I know the NDS would
have to be done remotely all at once). Each server has duplexed drives
- should we unplug one in each server for disaster recovery should
something go wrong?

--
hkoplo

hkoplo
7/25/2008 11:26:02 PM
novell.support.netware.4x 2762 articles. 0 followers. Follow

This is a difficult situation because officially, NetWare 6.5 and 4.x
servers are not supported together in the same tree.
Are there already any newer servers in the tree or is the tree NetWare 4.x
only? Is �NetWare 6.5 supposed to get installed on the same hardware or on
new hardware? You should be aware that you can't do an in place upgrade
from 4.x to 6.5.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums

You have to follow the upgrade instructions carefully, especially
upgrading NDS on NW 4.x to the version, which is compatible with NW 6.5
and furthermore I believe you should go to SP9 on NW 4.x before
introducing the first NW 6.5 server into the tree.
--
W. Prindl

Marcel Cox wrote:

>This is a difficult situation because officially, NetWare 6.5 and 4.x
>servers are not supported together in the same tree.  Are there
>already any newer servers in the tree or is the tree NetWare 4.x
>only? Is �NetWare 6.5 supposed to get installed on the same hardware
>or on new hardware? You should be aware that you can't do an in place
>upgrade from 4.x to 6.5.
0
W_
7/26/2008 5:45:50 PM
W_ Prindl wrote:

>You have to follow the upgrade instructions carefully, especially
>upgrading NDS on NW 4.x to the version, which is compatible with NW 6.5
>and furthermore I believe you should go to SP9 on NW 4.x before
>introducing the first NW 6.5 server into the tree.

Yes, the 4.x servers should be updated to SP9 and the latest DS.NLM should
be installed on all 4.x servers. Also, auxsupport should be enabled on the
4.x servers and the guid generator should be run once.

The updated ds.nlm and the instructions on the actions to perform can be
found here:

http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=eP2gn2el4LY~

However if the tree only consists of 4.x servers, and given the fact that
the environment is so picky about change, maybe the best option would be
to create a new NetWare 6.5 tree in parellel, use some tool to export the
users from the 4.x tree and import them to the 6.5 tree and migrate the
data. That would allow a migration without doing any change to the
existing environment.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0
Marcel
7/26/2008 7:23:50 PM
Marcel_Cox;1605477 Wrote:
> W_ Prindl wrote:
>
> >You have to follow the upgrade instructions carefully, especially
> >upgrading NDS on NW 4.x to the version, which is compatible with NW
> 6.5
> >and furthermore I believe you should go to SP9 on NW 4.x before
> >introducing the first NW 6.5 server into the tree.
>
> Yes, the 4.x servers should be updated to SP9 and the latest DS.NLM
> should
> be installed on all 4.x servers. Also, auxsupport should be enabled on
> the
> 4.x servers and the guid generator should be run once.
>
> The updated ds.nlm and the instructions on the actions to perform can
> be
> found here:
>
> 'NOVELL: Downloads'
> (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=eP2gn2el4LY~)
>
> However if the tree only consists of 4.x servers, and given the fact
> that
> the environment is so picky about change, maybe the best option would
> be
> to create a new NetWare 6.5 tree in parellel, use some tool to export
> the
> users from the 4.x tree and import them to the 6.5 tree and migrate
> the
> data. That would allow a migration without doing any change to the
> existing environment.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> 'Untitled Document' (http://support.novell.com/forums)
> Marcel Cox's Profile: 'NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: Marcel_Cox'
> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8)

I appreciate everyones advice and quick response.

Yes, this is a purely 4.11 and 4.2 environment at this point. They have
about 200 users on the system (between all the locations). That would be
a lot of clients to change over to a new tree, however if we could do it
one site at a time it may not be too bad. I'll have to consult with the
bank's IT admin to see if all the users at the main branch would have
to be done at once.

Our initial goal was to do in place upgrades, however it seems better
if we go to a new tree, to build a new server, free up one of the 4.x
servers and build new 6.5 servers one at a time, freeing up a 4.x
server each time we replace it out with a 6.5 server to be used to
build the next 6.5 server.

I have downloaded the DS621 and instructions and will study them. Any
other advice will be appreciated.

--
hkoplo
hkoplo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26244

0
hkoplo
7/28/2008 4:56:02 AM
BTW, does novell have a tool to import all the users from the 4.x tree
into the 6.5 tree if we decide tpo go that route? Is there a mgration
tool like we used to go from 2.x to 3.x and 3.x to 4.x?

--
hkoplo
hkoplo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26244
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=337748

0
hkoplo
7/28/2008 5:06:01 AM
Are you saying you want them to be separate trees? No, there's no
specific utility to do that. You can use ICE to export/import them via
LDIF files, but that's not necessary if you are keeping the same tree.
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew
7/28/2008 6:18:27 AM
ataubman;1605696 Wrote:
> Are you saying you want them to be separate trees? No, there's no
> specific utility to do that. You can use ICE to export/import them via
> LDIF files, but that's not necessary if you are keeping the same tree.
> --
> Andrew C Taubman
> Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
> http://forums.novell.com/
> (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail)
>
> Opinions expressed above are not
> necessarily those of Novell Inc.

Well, in a previous post Marcel Cox recommended setting up a paralell
tree and moving users over to it as we get locations moved...if we use
the same tree we will have to run DS621 and convert all the servers
NDS. If that is not risky at all then I wouldn't mind, but if there's a
chance it will all blow up on us then I would be more likely to consider
a second tree.

Harv

--
hkoplo
hkoplo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26244
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=337748

0
hkoplo
7/28/2008 4:46:02 PM
There is obj_copy from JRButils, but I'm not sure whether this supports
copying between trees:

http://www.jrbsoftware.com/

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0
Marcel
7/28/2008 5:52:23 PM
Marcel_Cox;1606125 Wrote:
> There is obj_copy from JRButils, but I'm not sure whether this supports
> copying between trees:
>
> 'JRB Software' (http://www.jrbsoftware.com/)
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> 'Untitled Document' (http://support.novell.com/forums)
> Marcel Cox's Profile: 'NOVELL FORUMS - View Profile: Marcel_Cox'
> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8)

My client would rather not set up a new tree, they would have too much
work to do moving 200 workstations to a new tree. Instead, they want me
to find the best way to upgrade their existing 4.x tree to 6.5. So I
will follow instructions that came with DS621 and keep my fingers
crossed.

--
hkoplo
hkoplo's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=26244
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=337748

0
hkoplo
7/30/2008 2:46:02 PM
Does the UIMPORT.EXE utility work with Netware 6.5?

-Bob Carroll

"Marcel Cox" <Marcel_Cox@no-mx.forums.novell.com> wrote in message
> There is obj_copy from JRButils, but I'm not sure whether this supports
> copying between trees:
>
> http://www.jrbsoftware.com/
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums
> Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8

0
Wallgames
7/30/2008 3:41:19 PM
Wallgames.com,
> Does the UIMPORT.EXE utility work with Netware 6.5?

Yes.

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

  Discover the new Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0
Anders

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Netware 6.5 Server with a Netware 5.0 Server?
We want to install a new Netware 6.5 server in an environment that has two 6.0 servers and 2 Netware 5.0 servers on the same tree. We are running 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? Thanks in advance. Dennis Dennis, > We are running > 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are > there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? > According to: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/...

Backup NetWare 6.5 to an ARCserve 7 for NetWare Server
I currently run ARCserve 7 for NetWare on a NetWare 5.1SP6 server to backup our other nw51sp6 boxes. We are starting to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and I am wondering will the ARCserve 7 successfully backup NW65 servers and which version of the client agent I should use. Thanks, Adam. Adamh, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell....

Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server?
Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new hardware over two weekends. thanks Hi, John wrote: > > Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are > two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new > hardware over two weekends. Yes, but they must be at DS621. And run the deployment wizard ones. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de Yes it can - I...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is also our webserver for the school district). > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files from the old server... > >...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and > upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is > our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is > also our webserver for the school district). > > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files fro...

Replacing a Netware 4 server with a NetWare 6 server...
I have been hired to set up a netware 6 server and transfer some data from an old nw4-server. It�s a quite simple environment, just file-sharing, printing and some simple policies... I have some questions and thoughts about it... I have most been working with Netware 4 and a bit with netware 5. What is the biggest differences with Netware 6? What sizes of volumes and partitions would you recommend on a netware 6 server? The old netware 4 server is running Zenworks starter pack with some policies and a few applications (for simple installation). How would they be affected ...

NetWare 6.5 SP8 co-exist with NetWare 6.5 SP7 servers?
I really don't want to install SP8 on the NetWare server as I am working on moving Netware to OES Linux. However, I need to upgrade to GroupWise 8 soon so plan to upgrade to GroupWise 8 on NetWare server which requires NW6.5SP8. All other 10 NetWare servers are on version 6.5 SP7 and I only intend to upgrade one server to NetWare 6.5 SP8. Does anyone see issue with that? I assume eDirectory does not chance with the installation of SP8. I am running eDirectory v 8.7.3.0. Regards Andy -- andyj2009 -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Netware 6.5 server abends when trying to backup Netware 5.1 GW Server
I am trying to backup a netware 5.1 GW server from my new 6.5 server (all support packs are in). I am using brightstore 9 and am able to back up the 6.5 server but I get a Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000)fstape.nlm error when I try to back up the netware GW server. It seems to get to a certain step and then abends. with: Any help would be appreciated. Server ELBA-FS halted Tuesday, August 3, 2004 7:35:47.545 am Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000) Registers: CS = 0060...

Netware 6.5 Server in a Netware 6.0 Tree
Created a Netware OES server and placed in a predominantly 6.0 Tree with appropriate 6.0 user licenses. My question is "what do I need to do to begin using it as a resource in that tree?" Will all users be able to access the 6.5 server as it stands? On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:04:25 GMT, tomm@juice4u.com wrote: >Created a Netware OES server and placed in a predominantly 6.0 Tree with >appropriate 6.0 user licenses. My question is "what do I need to do to >begin using it as a resource in that tree?" > >Will all users be able to access the 6.5 server a...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Web resources about - Convert 7 Netware 4 Servers to Netware 6.5 over T1's - novell.support.netware.4x