NDPS Printer Capture to LPT

The company I work for is slowly switching over to NDPS instead of print
que and IP based. Unfortunately we run a few DOS programs that in order to
print have to use screen capture software and in order for the software to
print properly, the printers have to be installed by their IP address and
captured to LPT1 port. This process works fine normally. But if the user
has been switched over to a portion of the building that uses NDPS, the
program can't print because the printer can't be captured to the LPT port.
Any suggestions or information at all would be appreciated.
0
hij22
7/19/2004 9:39:09 PM
novell.support.ndps-neps 2772 articles. 0 followers. Follow

As long as you have NT4 or later (9x is not supported) you can use this
free utility to capture to an NDPS printer:

http://www.andtechnologies.com/dosprint.html

--
-Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp]

0
Barry
7/19/2004 9:55:10 PM
You can also create a print queue & allow an NDPS printer to service the
queue.  Then you can capture the print queue on LPT1.

<hij22@drexel.edu> wrote in message
> The company I work for is slowly switching over to NDPS instead of print
> que and IP based. Unfortunately we run a few DOS programs that in order to
> print have to use screen capture software and in order for the software to
> print properly, the printers have to be installed by their IP address and
> captured to LPT1 port. This process works fine normally. But if the user
> has been switched over to a portion of the building that uses NDPS, the
> program can't print because the printer can't be captured to the LPT port.
> Any suggestions or information at all would be appreciated.

0
Paul
7/21/2004 2:48:48 PM
Barry, I tried dosprint on an XP box.. Jobs from application show up as
being queued by Printer (several dosprint jobs on server console) but wont
print... Any ideas?.. Printer works fine from Word and printint to the NDPS
printer..

"Barry St.John" <CubsFan@EverestDONTkcBUGME.net> wrote in message
> As long as you have NT4 or later (9x is not supported) you can use this
> free utility to capture to an NDPS printer:
>
> http://www.andtechnologies.com/dosprint.html
>
> --
> -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp]

0
Mr
7/29/2004 8:19:10 PM
Barry, I tried dosprint on an XP box.. Jobs from application show up as
being queued by Printer (several dosprint jobs on server console) but wont
print... Any ideas?.. Printer works fine from Word and printint to the NDPS
printer..

"Barry St.John" <CubsFan@EverestDONTkcBUGME.net> wrote in message
> As long as you have NT4 or later (9x is not supported) you can use this
> free utility to capture to an NDPS printer:
>
> http://www.andtechnologies.com/dosprint.html
>
> --
> -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp]

0
Mr
7/29/2004 8:19:10 PM
Have you installed the DOS Print?
Type "NET START" from the command prompt to verify it is running.
Otherwise the users need admin rights.

"Mr . T" wrote:

> Barry, I tried dosprint on an XP box.. Jobs from application show up as
> being queued by Printer (several dosprint jobs on server console) but wont
> print... Any ideas?.. Printer works fine from Word and printint to the NDPS
> printer..
>
> "Barry St.John" <CubsFan@EverestDONTkcBUGME.net> wrote in message
> > As long as you have NT4 or later (9x is not supported) you can use this
> > free utility to capture to an NDPS printer:
> >
> > http://www.andtechnologies.com/dosprint.html
> >
> > --
> > -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp]

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
7/29/2004 9:47:10 PM
Craig, user was an admin on the XP box (plain Jane user to Netware)..
Dosprint was running, saw Icon in Systray (opened Icon and saw capture
assignment).. Jobs in PrinterAgent's list indicated DosPrint as User (They
just were not being sent to the Printer)..  So who needs Admin rights to
what?

"Craig Wilson" <craig_d_wilson@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Have you installed the DOS Print?
> Type "NET START" from the command prompt to verify it is running.
> Otherwise the users need admin rights.
>
> "Mr . T" wrote:
>
> > Barry, I tried dosprint on an XP box.. Jobs from application show up as
> > being queued by Printer (several dosprint jobs on server console) but
wont
> > print... Any ideas?.. Printer works fine from Word and printint to the
NDPS
> > printer..
> >
> > "Barry St.John" <CubsFan@EverestDONTkcBUGME.net> wrote in message
> > > As long as you have NT4 or later (9x is not supported) you can use
this
> > > free utility to capture to an NDPS printer:
> > >
> > > http://www.andtechnologies.com/dosprint.html
> > >
> > > --
> > > -Barry. [Novell Support Forums SysOp]
> > >

> --
> Craig Wilson
> CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
> NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)
>
> Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
> (I Peter 4:10)

0
Mr
7/30/2004 3:36:18 PM
Rights to the local PC, so that is not the issue.  I was just hoping it was.
DOSPrint had a couple modes of operation, but it sounds like that is not your
current issue.

Try Using the DOSPRINTUI  and removing the DOSPrint Service.
It could be possible that the DOS Print Service may be having rights issues
access the NDPS Printer.
I would not have this issue with my configuration due to ZENworks and misc
things which we can get into if need be.

But I would .........

1) "NET START" and ensure the "DOS Print" service is not running.
2) Use DOSPRINTUI instead of DOSPRINT.

If you have non-local admins needing this tool, this is not a long term
solution, but it may point in the direction to look.

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA
NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/)

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
7/31/2004 10:50:36 PM
Paul's suggestion is best.  But my surmise is that the problem has
nothing to do with either rights or DOS Print.  If, once you have done a
capture, nothing signals end-of-job, the job may sit in the queue
forever unless a timeout is set.  But the CAPTURE tool in the XP client
has no dialog to set a timeout.  If that is the case, even using a
traditional queue and having NDPS service it will not solve your
problem.  You have to find a way to have XP signal end-of-job.  The only
way that comes quickly to my mind right now is to log Windows off and
back in again, not a very pretty solution.

Gerald Reynolds

Paul wrote:
> You can also create a print queue & allow an NDPS printer to service the
> queue.  Then you can capture the print queue on LPT1.
>
> <hij22@drexel.edu> wrote in message
>
>>The company I work for is slowly switching over to NDPS instead of print
>>que and IP based. Unfortunately we run a few DOS programs that in order to
>>print have to use screen capture software and in order for the software to
>>print properly, the printers have to be installed by their IP address and
>>captured to LPT1 port. This process works fine normally. But if the user
>>has been switched over to a portion of the building that uses NDPS, the
>>program can't print because the printer can't be captured to the LPT port.
>>Any suggestions or information at all would be appreciated.

0
Gerald
8/10/2004 5:27:13 PM
Further to my previous comment, ending the DOS job or ending the capture
should also signal end-of-job.  If you try these things and they all
release the print file from the queue, that is solid evidence that that
is your problem.  Then the problem becomes finding a way to have the DOS
job signal end-of-job without exiting.  Some can do that; others cannot
without being rewritten to add that feature.  For example, the DOS dBase
language includes verbiage to signal end-of-job if you use it, but if
you don't, you will have this kind of problem.  (Because of multiple
issues in DOS dBase with NetWare captures, I've resorted to having dBase
print to disk, then kick off an NPRINT to spool the job to the queue.
The only issue with that is that DOS appends a Hex-1A end-of-file
character to the print file and some printers don't like it.  Otherwise
it's very smooth.  You might try that kind of workaround if your DOS app
supports it.)

Gerald Reynolds

Gerald Reynolds wrote:
> Paul's suggestion is best.  But my surmise is that the problem has
> nothing to do with either rights or DOS Print.  If, once you have done a
> capture, nothing signals end-of-job, the job may sit in the queue
> forever unless a timeout is set.  But the CAPTURE tool in the XP client
> has no dialog to set a timeout.  If that is the case, even using a
> traditional queue and having NDPS service it will not solve your
> problem.  You have to find a way to have XP signal end-of-job.  The only
> way that comes quickly to my mind right now is to log Windows off and
> back in again, not a very pretty solution.
>
> Gerald Reynolds
>
> Paul wrote:
>
>> You can also create a print queue & allow an NDPS printer to service the
>> queue.  Then you can capture the print queue on LPT1.
>>
>> <hij22@drexel.edu> wrote in message
>>
>>> The company I work for is slowly switching over to NDPS instead of print
>>> que and IP based. Unfortunately we run a few DOS programs that in
>>> order to
>>> print have to use screen capture software and in order for the
>>> software to
>>> print properly, the printers have to be installed by their IP address
>>> and
>>> captured to LPT1 port. This process works fine normally. But if the user
>>> has been switched over to a portion of the building that uses NDPS, the
>>> program can't print because the printer can't be captured to the LPT
>>> port.
>>> Any suggestions or information at all would be appreciated.

0
Gerald

Capturing LPT to an NDPS-Printer
NW6 SP3 Client 4.83 SP2 on Win2k Following some TIDs capturing LPTx direct to an NDPS-Printer (without Queues) does not work on Win2k-Workstations. Is this still true? Sincerely Karl Kunze Yes, but............... http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html kkunze@kunze-stade.de wrote: > NW6 SP3 > Client 4.83 SP2 on Win2k > > Following some TIDs capturing LPTx direct to an NDPS-Printer (without Queues) does not work on Win2k-Workstations. Is this still true? > > Sincerely > > Karl Kunze -- Craig Wilson CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA NSC Sys...

How to capture LPT port to NDPS printer?
How do you automatically do this for a NDPS printer? Or do you need Zenworks? I have some old apps that need a port to print to. Thx, Tony Sorry, let me clarify. Testing with Nw6, iPrint, NDPS and ZfD4. I know that with the iPrint client, users can manually capture a LPT port. However, is it possible to capture port automatically to all users/workstations for a printer without having the users do it themselves? Couldn't find anything in ZfD iPrint policies or iManager. Tony open DOS-Box: icapture /? Bye, Markus If you have WinNT ...

Printer distibuted by NDPS has no NDPS tabs in printer properties
We have NW 5.1 SP5 with NDPS ver 3.00F. All client computer are Windows 2000 SP4 with client 4.83 SP2. All printers are distributed by ZenWorks 3.2 Workstation policys which work fine. We want to use Printer Properties Pro to set various options on new printers - namely some HP LJ5100DTN's & HP LJ4200DTN's. On some workstations this is fine as the printer has the NDPS properties tabs, on others though this is not there and thus the printer properties pro settings are not applied. I have ensured that all drivers are the same and have updated some in the RMS ...

From NDPS to iPrint... NDPS Printer Settings
I really need an answer Hi I have been working for about a year now to implant iprint for automated printer installation on our network... My project is well prepared and I'm almost done... Previously, we made a wizard made with Auto-it using rundll32 priintui.dll for those insatllations. This clever little wizard is still used to automaticaly install NDPS printers. But the maintenance of this home made application is very complex. So we decided to go with iPrint.... In the properties of a NDPS printer their was a tab that is missing in iPrint, and this tab seems to b...

Capture NDPS printers
I have about 70 computer labs and I need to find a way to capture NDPS printers from login script. Queues are not an option , and for some reason DOSPrint utility does not work for me. Is there any way to have NDPS printer installed by computer lab. Each computer in a lab has a variable for building and room number (Ex.SM100), that I am using to capture print queues from login script If <Name> Then #capture q=sm100-q l=1 . I need similar thing with NDPS. I would appreciate some good ideas. Bogdan Other than DOSPrint, there is no other solution for NT/2K/XP P...

Removing NDPS printer object
Having trouble with a NDPS printer. I can't run NDPS Manager because it hangs on initializing the printer. Can I delete the NDPS printer object and see if the NDPS manager comes up? I know that deleting the object only makes it a public access printer but will it let the manager boot up at least. Your help would be appreciated, thanks! Making the printer a public access printer makes no difference regarding the manager. he will still try to load the agent. How about restoring the ndps backup ? See this TID that descibes the steps. http://support.novell.com/cg...

NDPS Printer & Capture
We have one PC that shows the printer as "captured", but doesn't print until you end capture and recapture. The capture will then be available, until the PC is restarted. It is set to recapture at login. The PC is running Windows 2000. I've installed the latest client and patches and this did not fix the problem. Anyone else seen this, or know of a fix? Thanks Carol, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, y...

Capture an NDPS printer in a old Dos partition
Hi everyone.... I have an old software that we continue to use here ( school ). This software run only in dos ( real dos partition ). Right now, I print from this application with the capture command. I capture the print queue base and it's working fine. But this summer, i want to migrate all my print queue base printers to ndps and, at the same time, completly remove IPX on all my Netware servers and network. I want to know if it's possible to capture an ndps printer from a dos partition? Thanks in advance.... No you can't. However, I don't see why ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

How can i capture a printer port ? ( NDPS et TSE )
All Printers are connected with NDPs to a netware6, but to use a Terminal Server i need to capture printer port. I you have a idea... Thank Try http://www.pcounter.com/dosprint.html jcschad@doubs.cci.fr wrote: > All Printers are connected with NDPs to a netware6, > but to use a Terminal Server i need to capture printer port. > I you have a idea... > Thank -- Craig Wilson CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA NSC Sysop (http://support.novell.com/forums/) Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com (I Peter 4:10) Ceate and old type printer queue and let the NDPS printer ...

Print to Netware 6.5 NDPS captured printers
Hi all, I have a problem with printing to a NetWare 6.5 print qeue. I captured the NetWare 6.5 printers on the SLES 10 , and from cups i cannot print well. In the cups settings for me needed to set the No Banner option, as an workstation (a user login script: CAPTURE LPT1 Q=.XXXXXXX.XXX.XX NB NFF NNOTI NT ). Without these settings all printer print an empty page before and after the printed documents. I know, that the papers can be put back, but it's isn't solution. If in the cups settings i set in the State and banner settings the starting and the ending banners to N...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #4
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #2
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

push ndps printer with pre-defined printer setting for a printer #3
Barry, When you have to set up 50 printers again, how do you handle the printer setup details like paper size and how many trays are available so that NDPS can push these details to the workstation as per your selection. In my case I will need to set the default paper size to be A4 paper and this printer has tray 2 and I need to set it to use A4 paper as well. I import the HP driver and push via NDPS and the workstaton. But I found that the NDPS printer agent object has nowhere to allow me to set this up. In other words I have to go all workstation to individually set them up. ...

Web resources about - NDPS Printer Capture to LPT - novell.support.ndps-neps

3D Printer - Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Review: da Vinci Jr budget 3D printer
The da Vinci Jr makes 3D printing more affordable than ever, but it's a long way from the Star Trek replicator-style precision instrument you ...

Review: The da Vinci 1.0 Pro 3D printer reaches for the higher end
When XYZprinting unveiled its da Vinci 1.0 Professional 3D printer in September, it touted the fact that the printer could used third-party 1.75mm ...

Consumer Technology Association Chief Talks Up Drones, 3D Printers, And Driverless Cars: CES
... electronics business, based on Consumer Technology Association chief Gary Shapiro’s opening remarks at the annual CES confab. Drones, 3D printers, ...

See how a Disney Infinity figure is made, and by proxy, a terrifying 3D printer process
... details added in afterward. But the real magic is found in the middle of the video, where it shows Olaf rising from the depths of the 3D printer ...