iPrint Support

Good afternoon all...  I hate to sound negative before asking a question,
but I am curious.  Is iPrint a supported product by Novell?  I realize that
these forums are mostly volunteers, but there seems to be a considerably
smaller amount of support info on iPrint both in the forums and the TIDs
than other products.

We have been having problems as I am beginning to roll it out and searching
the forums turns up numerous similar items that people posted with no
response.  At any rate, here is my current problem if anyone can help...

ipsmd is shutting down when faced with larger print jobs.  ipsmd.log keeps
showing WARNING: ndsGenNum ## and that is all I have to go on.  I can
restart it and it will work again until something larger gets thrown at it.
 Does anyone have any ideas?
0
mwilley
2/22/2005 6:53:44 PM
novell.support.iprint 7215 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi there,

What size jobs are we talking about here?  there is a way to limit the size
of jobs...in NWAdmin go to the printer's properties, "Job v" and go to
"Spooling Configuration."  You can set the limit in KB...I personally don't
let jobs bigger than 500MB (which is bigger than most people would allow,
but we have complex graphics over here that can exceed 1GB and crash the
server). Does this info help at all?

thanks, chris

<mwilley@msdpt.k12.in.us> wrote in message
> Good afternoon all...  I hate to sound negative before asking a question,
> but I am curious.  Is iPrint a supported product by Novell?  I realize
that
> these forums are mostly volunteers, but there seems to be a considerably
> smaller amount of support info on iPrint both in the forums and the TIDs
> than other products.
>
> We have been having problems as I am beginning to roll it out and
searching
> the forums turns up numerous similar items that people posted with no
> response.  At any rate, here is my current problem if anyone can help...
>
> ipsmd is shutting down when faced with larger print jobs.  ipsmd.log keeps
> showing WARNING: ndsGenNum ## and that is all I have to go on.  I can
> restart it and it will work again until something larger gets thrown at
it.
>  Does anyone have any ideas?

0
Chris
2/23/2005 6:09:50 PM
Thanks for the reply.  The jobs that are killing the system are only about
1MB, so nothing large at all.  The were primarily 26 page powerpoints.
Nothing that should be significant.  It is possible that the problem could
involve my printer (HP Color Laser 3500).  On a what could be related note,
it will not keep page counts, although my other printers will and it is the
one they were trying to print to.  However, no matter what, I fail to
understand anyway the print manager should simple fail.  The problem
persisted today unfortunetly, so our iPrint implementation is back to the
drawing board.  Thanks for the reply and any other ideas anyone might have.

> Hi there,
>
> What size jobs are we talking about here?  there is a way to limit the size
> of jobs...in NWAdmin go to the printer's properties, "Job v" and go to
> "Spooling Configuration."  You can set the limit in KB...I personally don't
> let jobs bigger than 500MB (which is bigger than most people would allow,
> but we have complex graphics over here that can exceed 1GB and crash the
> server). Does this info help at all?
>
> thanks, chris
>
> <mwilley@msdpt.k12.in.us> wrote in message
> > Good afternoon all...  I hate to sound negative before asking a question,
> > but I am curious.  Is iPrint a supported product by Novell?  I realize
> that
> > these forums are mostly volunteers, but there seems to be a considerably
> > smaller amount of support info on iPrint both in the forums and the TIDs
> > than other products.
> >
> > We have been having problems as I am beginning to roll it out and
> searching
> > the forums turns up numerous similar items that people posted with no
> > response.  At any rate, here is my current problem if anyone can help...
> >
> > ipsmd is shutting down when faced with larger print jobs.  ipsmd.log keeps
> > showing WARNING: ndsGenNum ## and that is all I have to go on.  I can
> > restart it and it will work again until something larger gets thrown at
> it.
> >  Does anyone have any ideas?

0
mwilley
2/23/2005 8:44:11 PM
What version of NetWare, including Support Pack, are you running?  Have
you applied any of the post-SP patches for iPrint?

--
-Barry. [SysOp Emeritus]

0
Barry
2/24/2005 3:31:52 AM
Currently, in this case, I am running on the OES beta.  I know, I know,
evil beta.  At any rate, prior to this case I have had much better luck
with this beta implementation than either Netware or NLS.  Up until this
problem started I thought I was narrowing in on a working solution.  I have
not tried the Netware flavor for a while, so perhaps I should give it
another shot.  However, I enjoy the flexibility of OES and may just hold
out for the shipping version.

> What version of NetWare, including Support Pack, are you running?  Have
> you applied any of the post-SP patches for iPrint?
>
> --
> -Barry. [SysOp Emeritus]

0
mwilley
2/24/2005 12:07:47 PM
To answer the support question, yes, it is definitely supported by Novell.

If you search Novell's KnowledgeBase, there are quite a few articles.

If you have a support contract (or a pack of support tickets), you can
use them for iPrint support.

On 2005-02-22 13:53:44 -0500, mwilley@msdpt.k12.in.us said:

> Good afternoon all...  I hate to sound negative before asking a question,
> but I am curious.  Is iPrint a supported product by Novell?  I realize that
> these forums are mostly volunteers, but there seems to be a considerably
> smaller amount of support info on iPrint both in the forums and the TIDs
> than other products.
> We have been having problems as I am beginning to roll it out and searching
> the forums turns up numerous similar items that people posted with no
> response.  At any rate, here is my current problem if anyone can help...
>
> ipsmd is shutting down when faced with larger print jobs.  ipsmd.log keeps
> showing WARNING: ndsGenNum ## and that is all I have to go on.  I can
> restart it and it will work again until something larger gets thrown at it.
>  Does anyone have any ideas?

0
Andrew

Web resources about - iPrint Support - novell.support.iprint

Air Force Civil Engineer Support Agency - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
AFCESA began as the Civil Engineer Construction Operations Group at Wright-Patterson Air Force Base , Ohio in 1966. Two years later, the new ...

Amazon Cloud Drive integration, 3D Touch support and more come to nPlayer
... With its non-encoding and conversion-free playback, you need not worry about the formats of the media you want to play in the app, as it supports: ...

GM raids what's left of Sidecar to better support Lyft
The automaker bought both technology and assets to help its new partner do battle with Uber, the other giant in the car-sharing industry.

Yes, Intel's Skylake vPro chips will support Windows 7
... the chips are tuned for Windows 10. Microsoft last week said PCs with certain Intel Skylake and next-generation "Kaby Lake" chips would support ...

Fox’s Pirro Warns Nikki Haley To Be ‘Very, Very Careful’ And Support Donald Trump
Jeanine Pirro’s attack on Nikki Haley looked more like a threat than an editorial commentary: “Be very, very careful. Get in line behind our ...

Poll: Majority Of Americans Support Marijuana Legalization
The majority of Americans support the legalization of marijuana, according to the latest poll

Ribbon snipped at former Jefferson VFW Memory Cafe supports people with dementia
Ribbon snipped at former Jefferson VFW Memory Cafe supports people with dementia Daily Union JEFFERSON — An estimated 5.2 million people with ...

Jada Pinkett Smith and Spike Lee to Skip the 2016 Oscars: 'We Cannot Support It'
On Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, the two stars said they will not attend this year's ceremony.

Google, Others Support Samsung in Apple Patent Dispute
In an amicus brief last week, Google said it wants the Supreme Court to review the design patent infringement case between Apple and Samsung. ...

Microsoft Monday: New Windows 10 'Free' Rule, Windows 7 And 8 Lose Support, Word Flow Coming To iOS
... to Microsoft. This week, “Microsoft Monday” includes details about a new Windows 10 free upgrade rule, Windows 7 and Windows 8 losing support ...