sql client won't start on SLES10

I'm not the oracle/sql admin (I'm the SLES admin) but I'm trying to help
our person resolve an issue.

She has installed the sql 10 client ONLY on one of our SLES10.2
servers.  Prior to that, I installed the oracle packages so that the
oracle user and oinstall groups were set up correctly.  She logs in as
the oracle user and runs SQLPLUS but it just sits there.  The process is
pegging out the cpu at nearly 100% utilization.

Although this version of oracle/sql is "technically" not support on
SuSE10 (it's only supported up to SuSE9), there are lots of docs on the
net about getting it to work.  But we are running into this one road
block.

Any thoughts?  I have access to any kind of technical data if you need
more details.

--
jgosney

jgosney
6/22/2010 2:26:03 PM
novell.sles.configure 3559 articles. 1 followers. Follow

jgosney,

since the process is at 100% CPU you might get an idea of *what* it's
doing by running it against "strace". Maybe that'll give hints on what
it's choking on.

Regards
Jens

--
from the times when today's "old school" was "new school" :eek:
jmozdzen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=32246

0
jmozdzen
6/22/2010 3:06:03 PM
jmozdzen;1990756 Wrote:
> jgosney,
>
> since the process is at 100% CPU you might get an idea of *what* it's
> doing by running it against "strace". Maybe that'll give hints on what
> it's choking on.
>
> Regards
> Jens

Thanks Jens.  I ran STRACE against the process and it simply shows

times(NULL)                             = -1246103077

over and over again, repeating ad infintum.  The number on the right is
going down by one ever second so it looks like a time-out counter of
some sort but it doesn't help us much.

--
jgosney
jgosney's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=1513
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=413905

0
jgosney
6/22/2010 3:36:03 PM
jgosney,

times() returns delta time against some arbitrary point in time, so
this could be internal process monitoring as well - I assume it's just
"noise" in terms of what we're looking for. The important part lies
right before the moment only times() gets called.

can you start your SQL client in the strace context (ie "strace -o
/tmp/SQLPLUS.log SQLPLUS")? You might have to add a few strace switches
in order to catch typical fork()s and alike.

This way, you might be able to see what's happening before the
times(NULL) call.

Regards,
Jens

--
from the times when today's "old school" was "new school" :eek:
jmozdzen's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=32246
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=413905

0
jmozdzen
6/23/2010 7:26:02 AM
Install latest oracle instantclient, it should also work with previous
versions of the DBMS...

--
ciriarte
ciriarte's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=13712
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=413905

0
ciriarte

2007 version of firefox won't start! & version 2006 of thunderbird won't start
Name: Robert Calhoon Email: rjcalhoonatcomcastdotnet Product: Firefox Summary: 2007 version of firefox won't start! & version 2006 of thunderbird won't start Comments: sip these two go back to earlier version wait till starting gets fixed broke on office machine and home 4 pc's broke too. Browser Details: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.4) Gecko/20070515 Firefox/2.0.0.4 ...

Won't send, won't receive, won't do anything but send me rejection messages!
I keep getting messages such as these: Unable to connect to your IMAP server. You may have exceeded the maximum c= onnections to this server. If so, use the IMAP server settings dialog to re= duce the number of cached connections. Sending of the message failed. The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SM= TP) smtp.google.com was lost in the middle of the transaction. Try again. I have used Thunderbird for years, and have really liked it. Sometimes one = of the top of the pages goes up way too high above the top of the screen, s= o there is no way...

KDE 4.1. Desktop won't start pannels won't be seen
Hello. I had problems of loading plasma before in KDE 4.0. Desktop wouldn't appear nor after 10 mins, I had to wait for up to 15mins to see desktop and pannels. So I was stuck with gray screen. I could lunch programs like alt + F2 (thanx for that shurtcut!!) I was desperate and I decided to install KDE 4.1. in hope that this will fix my problem. I've installed the KDE 4.1 from factory repository: /repositories/KDE:/KDE4:/Factory:/Desktop/openSUSE_11.0/ Note: when refreshing repositories after I've added this new repo, I got message that there are some dependencies...

Firefox crashes on start
I'm hoping someone can help me here. I've looked up and down google to try and find the answer to no avail. Suddenly, today, firefox stopped working. I was doing some maintenance on the computer and did the following: upgraded Spyware doctor and rescanned upgraded Registry Mechanie, did a registry fix and a computer optimization I have to assume the problem comes from there, since it was working fine before that. The first crash report I got referenced moveplayer@movenetworks.com. Since then, they've been different. I've uninstalled and reinstalled, nothing w...

Two (more) issues with new Vista x64 system: won't stay in Sleep and won't change default mail client
One of these may be a hardware vendor issue, the other is completely baffling me: New HP Pavilion desktop system, running Vista Home Premium SP1 x64. The hardware is sufficiently fast enough to handle it (AMD Phenom x4 @2.3GHtz, 8GB DDR2 RAM, etc). Problem 1: This computer will not stay asleep. I decided to test the sleep capabilities, so when I went out to run some errands for a couple of hours, I used the Sleep command from the Start menu. It seemed to work, as it said it was going to sleep, the display went dark then turned off, then I heard a relay in the computer case clic...

iFolder Client won't start?
The icon in the system tray says "iFolder Services Starting Up" but it never doesn't anything else. I've tried reinstalls. Anyone else seen this? What can I do now?? thanks In article <GxTZe.288$jT.64@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, pgowder@ag.state.sc.us says... > The icon in the system tray says "iFolder Services Starting Up" but it > never doesn't anything else. > > I've tried reinstalls. Anyone else seen this? > > What can I do now?? > > thanks > What version of iFolder? There's a simias....

Client connection won't start
I have an application (obviously) and when installed on a non development machine it won't start the clinet database connection automatically. I get the error message Data Source Name not found. If I manually kick of the client connection then the program connects to the database just fine. I'm running PB 5.0.3 and SQL Anywhere 5.5. I used the client install disks from SQL Anywhere to install the database client software. A little background: After initial installation the ODBC Manager ICON disappeared from the Control Panel. I checked all the ODBC dll versions and found on...

SQL Central won't start
SQL Central/Sybase Central won't start. I can try either short-cut to two different copies of scview.exe (one installed by SQL Anywhere and the other by Adaptive Server) and neither can successfully start. They do not report any dialog box error when started from a shortcut and they do not report any command line error when started from the command line. I've searched my entire machine to make sure that there isn't some other copy of scview.exe and have also used complete paths when trying to start them from the command line. I've tried running the Dependency Walker d...

'do' won't 'do' if '/'

SQLserver won't start, can't view site on localhost
Hi.  I couldn't find a sqlserver forum, so I'm going to try this one.  I'm helping my kids build a 4h website based on the club starterkit.  It looks like it will work great.  But, we can't view the site in a browser because of the following error TITLE: .Net SqlClient Data Provider------------------------------ An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: Named P...

GW client won't start at workstation
When starting GroupWise from the workstation, an error message is displayed stating "unable to load gwmxl1us.dll language resource file." After clicking OK, the client attempts to connect to the post office, but instead displays the Novell GroupWise Startup window (as if the GW account doesn't exist). This window prompts for a password, online address, or remote path. We've tried entering the pertinent information, but after several failed attempts, the ole error 80004005 is displayed & the connection attempt fails. The knowledge base states this err...

Linux client 703 won't start
dear all, looks silly but after installing GWclient 703 for Linux i've got an icon on the desktop. Clicking on the icon goes NOWHERE, nada, zippo. Did I overlook something? Thanks for all support, Emmanuel -- eoettinger ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On Tue, 12 Feb 2008 16:16:01 +0000, eoettinger wrote: > looks silly but after installing GWclient 703 for Linux i've got an icon > on the desktop. Clicking on the icon goes NOWHERE, nada, zippo. What OS? If you try to start it from a terminal do you get a...

Help! POA won't start; reports can't create directory
Our Poa won't start because it can't create a fd0 directory in one of our library folders. I have tried deleting the library, making the directory, etc. Has anyone seen this? TID 10007709 maybe ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ You have deleted the library in C1. Then run a manual GWCheck against the PO with the analyze/fix library. The lowest option is to remove old libraries. Run that and you should resolve the problem (it did 4 hours ago in Scotland) On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:01:05 GMT...

UserApp 3.5.1 won't deploy, can't configure
I've got a formerly working, now dead, UA3.5.1 here. I was on vacation last week, so wasn't around when it died. Looking at the jboss output (jboss.log is attached), it looks like this is the relevent error: 17:34:21,084 INFO [SessionFactoryObjectFactory] Not binding factory to JNDI, no JNDI nam e configured 17:34:22,267 ERROR [Boot] Unable to retrieve global configuration settings. 17:34:22,271 ERROR [[/IDM]] Exception sending context initialized event to listener insta nce of class com.sssw.fw.servlet.InitListener java.lang.RuntimeException: com.sssw.fw.exception.E...

Web resources about - sql client won't start on SLES10 - novell.sles.configure