how to clear connections for *ONE* open file, like in NRM for NetWare?

Hi.

the remote manager of oes2sp2 doesn't offer the same set of possible actions, like
NoRM of NW6.5 does:

Volume Management-> click down to the locked file -> INFO:

Global lock information:

Use count: 1
Open count: 1
Open for read: 1
Open for write: 1
Deny read: 0
Deny write: 1
Not locked

File lock information by connection:

Select All - Clear All [close file for marked connections]

Close File | User name | Connection | Task | Lock status | Log status
   [ ]     | Admin     |     109    |   8  | Not locked  | Not logged

I know, that I can use NoRM's feature "Manage NCP Connections" to kill the
*CONNECTION*, but what I'm looking for is how to just clear the locks for jus one
*SINGLE* file

What do I miss?

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
4/30/2010 8:55:20 AM
novell.oes.linux.admin 2944 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:55:20 +0000, Rudolf Thilo wrote:

> I know, that I can use NoRM's feature "Manage NCP Connections" to kill
> the *CONNECTION*, but what I'm looking for is how to just clear the
> locks for jus one *SINGLE* file

Log into NRM, click on the 'i' next to the volume name, and then click on
close for each individual file you wish to clear a lock.

--
Joe Marton
Novell Knowledge Partner

>Log into NRM, click on the 'i' next to the volume name, and then click on
>close for each individual file you wish to clear a lock.

Hm. That's sorted by *connection*.
So if one certain file (that's about to be replaced) is held open by many users,
it's quite a work to do it that way.

Is there really no option like in NRM-NW to see all

"Locks for a certain file"
 -> "mark all"
    -> "clear for marked connection(s)"

When navigating down in NRM all the way to that certain file, the small icon left
hand side of the file name still presents "File & lock information" on mouse-over.
But when clicking that icon, just the file info is displayed, the "lock information"
and all the actions that are possible here with NetWare are *NOT* displayed /
offered.

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
5/6/2010 8:33:57 AM
Hi.

So it seems, that there is no way to get this functionality with OES-LX?

Oh, how faaaar away seems OES-LX from the comfort and convenience of NetWare 6.5...

:(

Regards, Rudi.
0
Rudolf
5/10/2010 7:42:15 PM
In article <rkZFn.6831$N74.4554@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Rudolf Thilo wrote:
> So it seems, that there is no way to get this functionality with OES-LX?

I now looks like this functionality was added with SP3.  I haven't tested it yet, but
when you go into Manage NCP Shares, info for the share and 'Open File Information',
each file now has a 'Close' button next to it.

> Oh, how faaaar away seems OES-LX from the comfort and convenience of NetWare 6.5...

It is getting there,  still a ways to go but getting closer with every step.
Ex. It should now be theoretically be possible to get a stuck NoRM working again
without rebooting, with rcnovell-httpstkd, now back to my hunt for when that doesn't
do the trick.

Andy Konecny
KonecnyConsulting.ca  in Toronto
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

0
Andy
6/20/2011 5:05:25 PM
konecnya;2115569 Wrote:
> In article <rkZFn.6831$N74.4554@kovat.provo.novell.com>, Rudolf Thilo
> wrote:
> > So it seems, that there is no way to get this functionality with
> OES-LX?
> >
> I now looks like this functionality was added with SP3.  I haven't
> tested it yet, but
> when you go into Manage NCP Shares, info for the share and 'Open File
> Information',
> each file now has a 'Close' button next to it.
>
> > Oh, how faaaar away seems OES-LX from the comfort and convenience of
> NetWare 6.5...
> >
> It is getting there,  still a ways to go but getting closer with every
> step.
> Ex. It should now be theoretically be possible to get a stuck NoRM
> working again
> without rebooting, with rcnovell-httpstkd, now back to my hunt for when
> that doesn't
> do the trick.
>

> Andy Konecny
> KonecnyConsulting.ca  in Toronto
> Andy's Profile: 'View Profile: konecnya - ATTACHMATE GROUP FORUMS'
> (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037)

Yes, SLOWLY getting there.  The problem is that NetWAre support ended
last year and there was a big rush to get everyone over to OES2 Linux
where 90% of what you used to be able to do in NRM got whacked (I say
neutered).

Yes, Attachmate has now extended NetWare support, but that's "after the
fact".

If you're going to urge your customers to use your new replacement OS
you should have the utilities fully baked before forcing a cutover.
IMO

--
The opinions expressed are my own.
Check out my OES2 Guides:

0
kjhurni
6/20/2011 6:06:02 PM
In article <kjhurni.4vn7c4@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Kjhurni wrote:
> If you're going to urge your customers to use your new replacement OS
> you should have the utilities fully baked before forcing a cutover.
> IMO

I agree with that as well, and have been pushing that fact to my Novell
contacts for some time. It is almost as if because of all thing things
I have pushed for in the past years being done that the lists of thing
I keep finding count.

-
Andy's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=75037

0
Andy

Automated file copy from OES NetWare to OES Linux
OES SP2 for NetWare GroupWise 7.0.1 (on NetWare) OES SP2 for SLES I've got an SFTP server running on the SLES box, and am trying to setup a way to automatically copy GroupWise logs files from nultiple NetWare boxes to the SLES box. I tried use a bash shell script on NetWare, but apperantly NetWare is too limited in what it can do (it didn't understand my cd, mput, or quit commands). Once I get a functional script, I can CRON it easily. About a year ago I tried PERL, but scrapped it for some reason. Any ideas on the easiest way to accomplish this? Thanks -Mike m...

CDP software for OES Netware or OES Linux , is there one yet ?
Continuous Data Protection software for OES Netware or OES Linux , is there one out there yet ? acme, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com. - You could also try posting your message again. Make sure it is pos...

OES Linux or OES Netware?
I have what I hope is a simple question. Is OES Linux up to the task or should I go with OES Netware for now and OES Linux at a later time (or version)? Were a small office of 20 people max. We use the current Netware (v6) as a file and print server, but I am planning on using GroupWise 7 after SP 1 is released. We also have a Windows SBS 2000 server that is only used for SQL Server. Matthew wrote: > I have what I hope is a simple question. Is OES Linux up to the task or > should I go with OES Netware for now and OES Linux at a later time (or > version)? > ...

OES Netware & Linux and Console One
Howdy All! We have an issue with our Console One now that we have extended the schema in our tree for OES Linux. We had a NW6.5/6.0 tree, we then extended the schema to prepare for the OES Linux Server, and then our Console One stopped working properly. We get the following error message(s) when we try and open a user object: Error Message VALUE_NOT_WITHIN_BOUNDS and Error Message VALUE_NOT_WITHIN_BOUNDS Unable to get the details for the selected object. Some pages may not be available. On the first error, after you click close on the dialog window, the property pages look normal. ...

Rights required to clear Netware connections with NRM
After giving "Console operator" rights to a user, he still can't clear connections with Remote manager... Is there anything else I have to do to allow him to perform the action? Thanks. The user must have S rights to the server, or Console Operator rights PLUS supervisor rights to the object whose connection is being cleared. John "Yann Laplante" <YLAPLANT@psc-cfp.gc.ca> wrote in message news:48688B6B.B513.00B0.3@psc-cfp.gc.ca... > After giving "Console operator" rights to a user, he still can't clear > connections with Remote ma...

OES Netware SP7 Locked/Open files not shown
I have several NW/OES 6.5 file servers with SP 7 installed. Most of these servers have been upgraded over time so they have traditional volumes configured on them. I'm unable to see open/locked files on these servers in Monitor. On NW/OES 6.5 SP7 servers with NSS volumes, I'm able to view open/locked files just fine. As I've seen in the forums, this may have been an issue with SP 6, but I jumped from SP5 to SP7 so it's the first time I've seen it. I've attempted this with many different clients - all with the same results - and I've searched here and th...

Connections between NW-OES and Linux-OES
I have a NW-OESSP2 and Linux-OESSP1 Server in a tree. Can a "Netware"-user who has its home-directory on the Netware-Server login to the Linux-Server (login, FTP, SFTP, netstorage, ...)and access his home-directory ? In a tree with several Netware-Servers it was possible to login (ftp) to each server even if this server didn't host the home-directory. Cheers, k. Hi, First, to login on the linux box, users must be LUM-Enabled, and your PAM configuration setup (users settings under yast) under linux, users will be connected to their linux homedirectory, not their ...

Utility to determine Open Files & clear / close connections
I'm looking for a utility to check a certain directory for open files and clear the connection of that user. I know of the WhoHasIt utility, but that program requires the user to have supervisor right to the server. Is there another utility that exists that does not require supervisor right to the server or is there a DS property that can be set to allow a user to clear a server connection? I want to allow a user (or group of users) the ability to clear server connections without giving excessive rights. Thanks, Scott i think DSRazor can do this. www.dsrazor.com ...

File open/lock Monitor on one file closes when user accesses this file
Hello, we are running a DBase 4.1.1 MS-DOS application at Netware OES 6.5 SP4 (Novell Small Business Suite Server). Sometimes we are experiencing a slow down of the application when the server CPU ha about 5% and the disks are also not running heavy. There is nothing to find in the network too. What we found today is, that when a user accesses ex. file.dbf and we open the "File open/lock activity" Monitor on this file, the monitor closes immediately. We can shortly see the users session (nolock) before it closes. Are there any hints we can follow to find the backgrou...

Linux open client libsybdb.so failing to connect with TLI format interfaces file
We've a Linux application which uses open client OCS-12_5 libsybdb.so to connect to Sybase DB server. Application fails to connect to Sybase DB server if interfaces file with TLI format is used. Error given is: Unknown network type found, Error -1296. But if I use the same entries in TCP format, application connects successfully. isql from this sybase installation was able to connect to the same Sybase DB server using this same TLI format interfaces file. Why is this difference? Is libsybdb.so on Linux not compatible with TLI format? How can I make my application work tra...

In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one
Name: Ben Product: Firefox Summary: In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one open. It gives it a cleaner interface. That was one of the big reasons why i switched to Firefox. Thanks! Comments: In Firefox 3.1 i noticed that you made it so that when there is only one tab open it still shows the tab like internet explorer. I like it more when it shows that tabs only when there is more than one open. It gives it a cleaner inter...

Open File Utility
Hi All: We have had more than a few occasions when we need to investigate abnormal file open activity on our NetWare 6 Sp3 servers. I have used a utility called WhoHasIt in these past occasions to determine what files are open. I learned of the utility on the support.novell.com website but find that it is not very intuitive or user friendly and also is Shareware. It seems odd to me that the Novell Operating System does not have such capability to locate these files. Or am I just missing something? Thanks, Brad Marchand State of North Carolina Dept. of Juvenile Justice a...

Migrating GW from OES Netware to OES Linux
I ran the GroupWise Server Migration utility to move our GW 702 system to a new OES Linux server and during the process realized some things were not right so I tried to re-run the installation to make the necessary changes. When I re-ran the utility it showed that Stage one was done. I deleted the folders that the utility created on the Linux box but the utility still will not start over, it only allows me to copy the mailboxes (shows Stage one is completed). Where is the settings stored to tell the migration utility what stage has been processed? I need to start over and no matter wha...

Migrate iPrint on OES NetWare to OES 2 Linux
Any good advice for migrating iPrint on NetWare to iPrint on OES 2 Linux? I'm especially concerned about the following: 1) Drivers that are already in the Broker 2) Printer Profiles that have already been created 3) We have a very large customized iPrint map setup I mean, I know technically I can run the migration utility and move the printer agents over, but the iPrint client utilizes DNS names for the manager, etc. and if it detects a change then it gets all cranky and uninstalls or reinstalls, etc. I believe in our setup, all the broker and manager stuff is NO...

Web resources about - how to clear connections for *ONE* open file, like in NRM for NetWare? - novell.oes.linux.admin

The Direct Connection

Is There A Connection Between Patrick Murphy's Over-The-Top Corruption And His Campaign Emails?
The DCCC may be stupid or even very stupid (as well as utterly incompetent) but their e-mail strategy is very well-planned out. Their overarching ...

Connection And Collaboration In the Cloud
Forbes technology editor Bruce Upbin deconstructs the cloud and maps its potential to your life.

Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack
Mali arrests 2 in connection with deadly hotel attack

Get ready for live-streamed extreme sports: Seattle startup Sioeye adds 4G connection to action cam
The history of people doing crazy stunts on camera is full of notable achievements. Motorcycle daredevil Evel Knievel jumped over whatever he ...