XP Prof & Eudora 5.2 & netware Client

Can someone  confirm why it takes longer to open Eudora in XP then in
WIN98....
Users mail are kept on the Netware servers... and a possible fix which
will
speed the startup procedure

Old setup Win98 with Netware 3.40 client
New setup XP Prof with Netware 4.83 Sp2 or 4.9 with Pack A

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

many thanks

Faiz

0
Faiz

Faiz,

There is a lot of over-head in XP.
Have you tried doing any clean-up, disabling services, applying tweaks
as
posted thoroughout this forum, etc.?
OEM image of XP or your own?  IP, IPX or both?

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
12/6/2003 3:12:10 PM
Tony,

Netware Servers  & Pcs are Running on IPX only...
Standard Microsoft IP is loaded on Pcs
Complete clean image created from scratch.. Not OEM from the supplier.

Do you recocommend any tweaks to speed the acces time...

"Tony Pedretti" <ynotpe@NOSPAMhotmail.com> wrote in message
> Faiz,
>
> There is a lot of over-head in XP.
> Have you tried doing any clean-up, disabling services, applying
tweaks as
> posted thoroughout this forum, etc.?
> OEM image of XP or your own?  IP, IPX or both?
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

0
Faiz
12/6/2003 5:53:10 PM
Haven't used Eudora in a long time and when I did it wasn't off a
NetWare
server so it may be one or several of these.

Here are some general performance tips for the Novell Client on
Windows.
Let us know how they work for you...

Make sure you're using the latest service pack on the Novell Client,
Windows
and apps (ie. Office).

Verify the speed, duplex, and frame type settings between the NICs on
your
workstation and your switches or hubs all the way to the servers.

Try to have the Novell Client installed with IP-only or IPX-only.
Avoid
supporting both bound to the Novell Client if you can.

Priortize each NIC, protocol, binding, etc. as appropriate for your
environment.
The interface to make these changes on 2000/XP is available in Windows

Network Properties, Advanced in menu bar, and select Advanced
settings.

Security software like anti-virus has been known to interfere with
communications.  Disable Network Scanning if available on the clients.

Rely on sever-based anti-virus software to scan network paths.

The ITHOWTO site always has good advice for those of us new to
tweaking
Windows with the Novell Client...
Enhance Client32 Performance
http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

Take special note of numbers 2 - 4, 9, 10, 12, and 17.

These Cool Solutions summarize and one references the ITHOWTO site
above...

Supercharge Your Client with These Performance Tips
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_client_speed_nw.html

Speed up NetWare Access From Win2K Desktops
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_speed_browsing_nw.html

More Speeding Tips for NetWare Access From Win2K Desktops
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_speed_browsing0_nw.html

Brian Baillie's comments in these Cool Solutions articles are solid...

Speed up NetWare browsing of Resources on Win2k
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/zenworks/features/tips/t_speed_nw_browsing_zw.html

Limit Connections, Improve Performance
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/nds/features/trenches/tr_performance_edir.html

Cache Exclusive Open registry update and a new nwfs.sys build may
apply.
UNC Path Filter driver (NWFILTER.SYS, included by default with client
4.90
and soon in SP3 for 4.83) has helped quite a few people as well...

Novell Client 4.83 Post SP 2 Update "E"
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2966677.htm

BETA Novell Client v4.83SP3 for WinNT/2000/XP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2967479.htm

The 4.90 code is slightly dated at this point compared to Update E so
stick
with 4.83 SP2 unless you're transferring files larger than 4GB, using
ZFD
4.x, or would like to use some of the other new functions including
those in
NetWare 6.x.
Though Update B for 4.90 and beta SP1 are available.  Beta SP3 for
4.83 is
also available.  All worthwhile testing and reporting back to Novell's
beta
site.

--
Tony Pedretti
TransUnion LLC

0
Tony
12/7/2003 12:30:11 AM
Tony,

Just to respond to the following points made... see below

> Haven't used Eudora in a long time and when I did it wasn't off a
NetWare
> server so it may be one or several of these.
>
> Here are some general performance tips for the Novell Client on
Windows.
> Let us know how they work for you...

Yes I have all the patches installed

> Make sure you're using the latest service pack on the Novell Client,

Windows
> and apps (ie. Office).

Yes I have all Office patches installed

> Verify the speed, duplex, and frame type settings between the NICs
on your
> workstation and your switches or hubs all the way to the servers.

That has not changed. and double checked it...it is running at full
dup
100MB

> Try to have the Novell Client installed with IP-only or IPX-only.
Avoid
> supporting both bound to the Novell Client if you can.

I an Running IPX only on the NW client side not BOTH

> Priortize each NIC, protocol, binding, etc. as appropriate for your
> environment.
> The interface to make these changes on 2000/XP is available in
Windows
> Network Properties, Advanced in menu bar, and select Advanced
settings.

This I will look at....

> Security software like anti-virus has been known to interfere with
> communications.  Disable Network Scanning if available on the
clients.
> Rely on sever-based anti-virus software to scan network paths.

Network scanning is diabled, the Server based scanning already
enabled.

> The ITHOWTO site always has good advice for those of us new to
tweaking
> Windows with the Novell Client...
> Enhance Client32 Performance
> http://www.ithowto.com/novell/clientspeed.htm

I will read it carefully and will see if it makes any diffrence.

> Take special note of numbers 2 - 4, 9, 10, 12, and 17.
>

> These Cool Solutions summarize and one references the ITHOWTO site
above...

> Supercharge Your Client with These Performance Tips

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_client_speed_nw.html

> Speed up NetWare Access From Win2K Desktops

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_speed_browsing_nw.html

> More Speeding Tips for NetWare Access From Win2K Desktops

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/features/tips/t_speed_browsing0_nw.html

> Brian Baillie's comments in these Cool Solutions articles are
solid...

> Speed up NetWare browsing of Resources on Win2k

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/zenworks/features/tips/t_speed_nw_browsing_zw.html

> Limit Connections, Improve Performance

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/nds/features/trenches/tr_performance_edir.html

> Cache Exclusive Open registry update and a new nwfs.sys build may
apply.
> UNC Path Filter driver (NWFILTER.SYS, included by default with
client 4.90
> and soon in SP3 for 4.83) has helped quite a few people as well...
>
> Novell Client 4.83 Post SP 2 Update "E"
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2966677.htm
>
> BETA Novell Client v4.83SP3 for WinNT/2000/XP
> http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2967479.htm
>
> The 4.90 code is slightly dated at this point compared to Update E
so
stick
> with 4.83 SP2 unless you're transferring files larger than 4GB,
using ZFD
> 4.x, or would like to use some of the other new functions including
those
in
> NetWare 6.x.
> Though Update B for 4.90 and beta SP1 are available.  Beta SP3 for
4.83 is
> also available.  All worthwhile testing and reporting back to
Novell's
beta
> site.
>
> --
> Tony Pedretti
> TransUnion LLC

Thanks any another tip gratefully accepted.
Faiz

Tony

0
Faiz

Win2k SP4 & Office XP & Netware Client
We are having an issue with Windows 2000 SP4 and Office XP and the Netware client 4.83/4.90. Ever since we upgraded our Windows 2000 computers to SP4 the Office XP shortcut bar has become slow and we are recieving a lot of complaints about it. This problem does not exist with Windows 2000 SP 0,1,2,3. But once you go to SP4, the shortcut bar slows down. Opening Word or Excel from START/Program Files and the app comes up immediately. Use the shortcut bar and you got a 10 to 15 second delay before the app loads. I've pretty much traced it to the Netware client. 4.83 and 4.90...

Client 4.83 Sp3 & Win XP Prof to Netware 4.10 Server
Hi Guys First time of posting, can anyone help me? We have a Netware 4.10 server (patched to latest) working fine with Win98 Pc's using Novell Client. All runs so fine you wouldn't believe it. Now trying to add some new workstation PC's, which have Win XP Professional SP2 on them. I'm using Novell Client 4.83 SP3 (seen that this is best to use from reading some of the posts for this type of configuration). We can get the machines to see the server fine, but we seem to have a couple of problems which I'd appreciate help/comments on. Periodically when logging...

tcpip & netware 4.1 & sqla 5.5.0.2
I have tcpip installed on my netware 4.1 server and I can ping to it. When I start the database server on netware I can see that the ipx link gets started, but the db server tries to start tcpip but it doesn't work. any ideas? Start the database engine with "-Z". This will produce debug information that may give you the clues you need to figure out what is wrong. -- Jim Egan [TeamPS] Dealer Solutions, LLC Houston, TX Jamie Gedye <jgedye@gte.nospam.net> wrote in article <33fdb155.152871767@forums.powersoft.com>... > I have tcpip installed on my net...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

NetWare Client on Win 2k & XP
We are just starting to use 2K Pro & XP Pro on our desktops. We have a NT 4.0 domain across a WAN. You got your PDC at corporate and BDC's spread out across the company at each location. Also have member servers setup for Exchange 5.5. Each location also has NetWare servers. My location has two NetWare 5 servers (sp6a). It was my understanding in order for authentication to occur on a NT network using NT / 2k Pro / XP Pro computer accounts must be setup. The domain admin setup the account. I made sure the computer named matched the name he gave when setting up the computer...

Netware 6.5 & Client 2
I have set up a network to practice using Novell. On my server Machine I installed Windows Server 2008 R2. Using VMware I have a Virtual Server running Novell Netware 6.5. For my Clients I am running Windows 7 Professional and I have Novell Client 2 SP1 installed. I can log into Client and Ping the Novell server (and vise versa) with no packets lost. For some reason I am unable to connect to the server with my remote manager or iManager from the Client computer. When I put in the correct addresses the page does not load anything. Is there something that I am overlooking? Is ther...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5 Volumes
I currently have a Netware 5 server with Sys on a local disk and a Netware 5 volume (Data) on a external Raid 5 enclosure through a Adaptec 2940U2W adapter holding just my data. I am replacing the old server & installing a new Netware 6.5 server with the sys volume on a local Raid 5 stack. ?Question - Can I install the Adaptec 2940U2W with the proper drivers and expect to see and mount the old Netware 5 Data Volume Yes, however there has been a problem that has been recently identified that if this volume is not present when the server is installed, it can be deleted if the...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5.1
We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present tree? I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the recommendation, but for various reasons we are not going to upgrade DS. Hi, marmagnac@ochsner.org wrote: > > We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. > Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present > tree? As long as you execute the deployment manager once, no. > I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the > recommendation, but ...

GW 5.2 client & Windows XP
I just got a new computer that's running Windows XP Home, and my Groupwise 5.2 client disk doesn't start up. 5.5 doesn't seem to work with my server. Please help! 2 additional notes: I've installed Windows messaging. Here's another question for the guru(s): Would the 5.5 client work with a 5.2 server? 5.2 client does not seem to run at all on this system, whereas 5.5 does, but doesn't seem to want to connect to the server. Thanks in advance! No. 5.5 client cannot run against 5.2 backend. When you say "I've installed w...

Netware client & XP "Home" edition
Any recent news to report on using the Netware client (on a 3.2 ipx network) with Windows XP Home? I've done it before with success, but XP Home, of course, isn't made for networking with Netware. I could build up a test rig at home and give it a try, but does anyone know of any unforseen pitfalls that might have come up via recent Windows updates (which might have broken things that allowed Netware client for Windows to work with XP Home in the past)? [Unfortunately, I dismantled my prior workstation that had XP Home & Netware Client for Windows on it, so I no lo...

Windows XP & Netware 4.2 Network Printer Captures
Printer capture settings drop off (disappear as though an End Cap was issued) after the first print job on our Windows XP computers. Is this a Windows XP or Client 32 problem? Is there a workaround or fix? This didn't happen on Windows 98se. Server: Netware 4.2 SFT3 Workstation: Windows XP Professional sp 1 Client32: 4.83sp3 Thanks, Larry These DOS print jobs? -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com Yes, they are DOS print jobs. S/ Larry Dave Lunn wrote: > These DOS print jobs? Geeze this is getting old. XP really doesn&#...

GW 5.5 Client & XP Professional
Anyone have any issues running GW 5.5 Client on an XP Professional desktop? Thanks, Skip skips@emfinc.com wrote: > Anyone have any issues running GW 5.5 Client on an XP Professional > desktop? We did not have any. -- Lindsey Johnstone One of the XanaDudes, posting with 1.16.3.1 I've just had my PC upgraded to Win XP and am finding htat quickcorrect within my Groupwise 5.5 is no longer working. It lets me add entries to the quick correct list, but they do not work when I try to use them. Has anyone else found this? And if so, did you manage to...

Zen 4 & windows xp using netware 5.1
is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) have just bought in 100 xp pc's and want the workstations rectricted centrally. thankyou PM > windows group policies Group Policies are what ZfD4 uses to restrict a Win2k and XP PC. -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop paul.matchett@hotmail.com, > is restricting users desktops and settings work well with windows xp pc's > and Zen. (similiar to windows group policies) Just a...

Netware Client 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1 Causes Blue Screens In Windows XP
We have a number of HP Compaq d530 desktop systems running Windows XP SP1 Professional. With virtually any image I can find or make for these models, I get a blue screen of death after installing the Netware client (both 4.83SP1 & 4.90SP1). In either case, the client is installed (including the remote control utility for Zenworks) and the machine reboots after the installation has completed. When the machine comes back up everything seems fine...until you log in. At that point, the machine will give a blue screen of death. All of these systems have Intel Extreme grap...

Web resources about - XP Prof & Eudora 5.2 & netware Client - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ