Using VPN client then netware client to access file server

Hi, I have one customer site functioning well. Using Cisco VPN client
then login via 4.83 sp2 client. Now when attempting to use above method I
receive Tree not found. We have 5.x servers. I don't really understand
the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ?
Any comments or suggestions or pointing to documentation would be greatly
appreciated.

Bruce Childers
St OR
503-373-1993x244
bruce.childers@state.or.us
0
bruce

> I don't really understand
> the advertisement of the tree, SAP or ARP or ?

SAP is IPX. ARP is NetBIOS. NetWare uses SLP (mainly) as well as
Host file, DNS.

For VPN, I recommend using dotted decimal notation in the server
name w/o using name resolution.

Replace the server name with its IP address under Novell GUI Login |
Advanced | Preferred Server.

--
Edison Ortiz
Novell Product Support Forum SysOp

BM38 VPN Client to site can not login to the netware client without speficing a server to log into
using the Novell client 4.90.0.0 SP1a NMAS BM38 VPN Client BM3xvpn9 The VPN portion connects to the BM Server and Internal IP Addresses can be pinged, even an application on a privite side Windows server that does not require authinication can be run. There are entries for each privie side Netware 6.5 server in the client's HOST file. In the client to site VPN Setup Under the DNS/SLP tab there are enties for Privite side DNS Servers and a server running the SLPDA, I assume that servers just running SLP are not listed. The problem is the netware client can not see the...

Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in opensuse linux
Hi, Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in opensuse Linux. can anybody support us.... Thanks & Regards, prasad -- victoryprasad ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 06/29/2011 09:06 AM, victoryprasad wrote: > > Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in > opensuse Linux. -=welcome=- new poster!! i'm just guessing, but this is the openSUSE forum and i have a feeling you are using Novell/Attachmatess SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (or maybe ...

How to access Netware servers with no client?
I'm running NW6sp3, edir 8.6.2 and my clients are all W2K and XP. I'd like to eliminate the Novell Client in my environment. What is the best way to do that? Is Native file access still the best solution? I want my clients to be able to access the novell file servers thru a mapped drive or unc path (network neighborhood). Susan, Yep, Native File Access Protocol (NFAP) is the best way to go. Susan@nomail.com wrote: > I'm running NW6sp3, edir 8.6.2 and my clients are all W2K and XP. I'd like to eliminate the Novell Client in my environment. What is the best way to d...

NetWare Client interfering with Windows server access?
We have a user who has trouble with his access to a Windows share. He did a capture of his traffic during the trouble and it appears that the cached DNS record for the server he is accessing expires and his machine needs to resolve it again. The problem seems to be that the NetWare Client also goes through a series of NCP calls attempting to resolve the server. He believes that this attempt at resolution causes problems with Explorer that make it seem like it's hung for a short period of time. The DNS record for the server in question is relatively short, but the TTL wa...

Netware Server A access to Netware servers B volumes
Hello, it's possible to access from server A console to servers B volumes and files. I 'need this for a canon nlm program that stores printfiles only on Printserver but we need this files on server B. For example: Its possible to edit on servers A console edit serverB/sys:system/canon.txt I know this windows like, but we need this. Any idea ??? You can see files on another server with ConsoleOne by navigating to its volume objects, but I'm not aware of way of editing them. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://suppo...

problem between xp home/netware client 4.83sp2 & win95 clients
This may not even be down to Netware, but I am trying to eliminate certain factors. we have 3 older PCs running Win95 v4.00.95b and the original Netware 32 client (it came with Intranetware 4.11) and one new machine that has WinXP Home and the Netware client 4.83sp2. At first everything was fine, then we had a problem with the new machine and we ended up re-installing XP Home and fitting a new network card. This seemed to be OK for a few days when we noticed these 3 older PCs started to lock up, with explorer.exe not responding and we had to switch them off to get them ...

Client 4.90SP2 vs. Microsoft's XP Netware Client
We run a database program that is having problems with the Netware client. Data corruption and performance are a problem. So, I tested the Microsoft Netware client vs. the Novell client and I am getting much better performnace from the Microsoft client. The Micorsoft client is 60 times faster during a 'post data' function. This translates from 15 seconds for Microsoft to 15 minutes for Novell! Is there anything I can do to speed up the Novell Client? Jerry Gunn Metamora High School Well, since you apparently need only IPX support (you didn't note which ver...

Error opening some files using the Netware Client for Vista
Hi, When I try to open a .dbf file with a memo field (contained in an associated ..fpt file), the application returns a read error when the file is stored on a netware volume.and when the workstation is running Vista with the Netware client 1.0 for Vista (August 2007). But : The same file can be opened succesfully on the local disk of the Vista workstation. The same file can be opened succesfully from the netware volumes with an XP workstation running. The same file can be opened succesfully from a Windows 2003 server volume with the Vista workstation We have 2 Netware ...

using vpn client on xp and nw5.1 on server
Has anyone been successful connecting to a netware 5.1 server running bm3.7 and using the latest vpn client on windows xp? I'm not having success in doing it and I understand it can't be done. I'm able to connect using windows 98 with ipx enabled. Any help would be appreciated. Scott. We don't support IPX over VPN on anything newer than Win 98SE. -- Scott Jones, Master CNE Product Manager - Novell BorderManager Novell's Secure Identity Management Group Novell, Inc., the leading provider of Net business solutions www.novell.com Scott...

Internet Access using Netware Client 4.91
Hi all, Recently, I upgraded a number of PCs from Windows 98 to XP Pro, at the same time I installed Netware Client 4.91. All the PCs are able to logon, access the local drives, the Internet and e-mail without any problems, apart from one. On this PC, I can log on to the network, and access the files and folders on the network drive, but when I attempt to access the Internet or e-mail, Internet Explorer 6 times out. There is no proxy server on the network, and none of the Internet Explorer proxy server settings have been set. Can someone give me some pointers to what...

Client loses connection to Clustered NetWare File server
I have recently installed a NetWare 6.5 sp5 cluster. This is being used as a file server for over 6000 users. The majority of users are not having any problems, but some users (not always the same ones) are losing the mappings to the server. They are getting the messgae "Invalid file handle". We are currently using client 4.83 sp 2. The only fix is a reboot of the workstation, a logon refresh does not remap the drive. Has anyone got any ideas why these clients rae losing mappings, I also have mappings to 5.1 servers on the workstations at the same time and these do n...

MS Client access to Netware 6.5 servers
Our office has several Netware 6.5 sp7 servers and a single Windows Server 2003 box supporting Active Directory. User names/Passwords within eDir and AD are the same (and in a week or two will be auto-sync'd using Identity Manager). All workstations currently have both the Netware Client and the Microsoft Client installed. The Netware Client is configured to pass the user name/password to the MS CLient during login. With all of our data and print services stored on the Netware servers, and the Windows 2003 server being used solely to allow access to an Exchange 2007 server...

Unable to find Netware Server with client for XP SP2
We are running Netware 5.0 on our server. I have just acquired a Windows XP Professional SP2 computer. The server is accessible using the Windows XP network service for Netware. I installed the Client 4.90 SP2 yesterday. It could not find the tree, the server anything. The hints in the knowledgebase did not seem to be very helpful. Can someone out there offer some suggestions. Thank you very much for your assistance. Mark Wangerin Milwaukee, Wisconsin Mark, Go to the Start Menu, Control Panel, Network Connections, Open the Connections and look for Properties, Install th...

Web resources about - Using VPN client then netware client to access file server - novell.netware.winnt-2x-xp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ