Upgrade can not start due to Java hogging CPU

--____TDDZCABFLTDDNSGDZILH____

We're in the process of upgrading all of our Netware 5.1 SP6 boxes to 6.5 =
SP3 / OES SP1.  We've done about 20 servers so far, and have never =
encountered the issue that I encountered last Friday.

Our process is as follows:

Comment out all non-essential software (backup, groupwise, ndps etc) for =
system boot
Take the server down for an image
Bring server up, copy btrieve 7.9 to the server (issues relating to =
upgrade and btrieve 8.5) - reset server
Mount upgrade CD, STARTX, install  and select products.ni in the GUI.

At this point, I kept getting stuck.  Upon loading "STARTX" the first few =
times, the GUI wouldnt finish initalizing - it appeared hung.  I reset the =
server and tried again.  Upon doing so again, I got the taskbar and the =
install window to display but the "browse" dialog hung with high CPU =
utilization according to monitor.  I reset the server again and did some =
reading.  Someone suggested that the serial port might be causing it (For =
whatever reason) so I disconnected our serially connected UPS.  StartX =
caused GUI to load fine and I was able to start the file copy. =20

The file copy was extremely slow, and went until 53% (3% after the CD =
swap) and the copy hung.  At this point, it was hooped...upon rebooting it =
wanted to start converting then environment, so I destroyed the DOS and =
SYS partitions /volumes and restored them from the image...

After the restore - the same thing occured, startx would initalize, but =
hang at random spots.

We aborted the upgrade, restored our original image and brought all our =
software back up.  Does anyone have ANY idea for helping to work past =
this?

Thanks

Preston Gallwas
CNA