SLP migration 5.1sp7 to 6.5sp5

I am working on finishing a 5.1 to 6.5 migration. There are 38 6.5sp3 or 
greater servers. There is one server at each site with the exception of the 
main office where there are a total of 4 NetWare servers. I am migrating the 
last server (the 39th) in the tree (NetWare 5.1 SP7) to NetWare 6.5 SP5. The 
server is the only SLPDA in the tree/network. It is unscoped using SLPv1. 
6.5sp5 will use SLPv2 which requires a scope. I plan to create a scope prior 
to the migration. I will need to update the other (38) NetWare servers with 
the new scope after it is created. Will I need to reboot all the NetWare 
servers to make the SLP scope take effect? I have heard both ways.

Also, I plan to advertise the new scope via DHCP to the workstations. DHCP 
is configured for year-long leases. (Don't ask why.) Can I advertise the new 
scope before it is created, so the workstations already have the scope when 
the scope is created? Will it still see the old unscoped servers in the 
interm? Most local(all?) functions are provided by the local server. Do the 
workstations need to be able to find the other servers?

Are there other things I need to be aware of as part of this migration from 
SLPv1 to SLPv2 and from unscoped to scoped?

Any expertise/experience is appreciated,
Patrick 


0
patrickbuller
2/15/2006 12:53:54 AM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

2 Replies
465 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 15
Get it on Google Play
Get it on Apple App Store

Hi patrick

TID10081615 describes how to migrate to slpv2 without the need of restarting
the servers.

DHCP Clients ask at each startup the dhcp server for the validity of the ip
address and other stuff, the lease time  counter is reset to zero and the
lease of one year or so takes only place if there is no communication with
the dhcp server possible. If you set dhcp option 78 (Directory Agent) and 79
(Service Scope) the novell clients should recognize the settings after a
reboot of the ws (you can check this in a dos box with slpinfo /all
command).

Werner Seifert
MCNE, MCNI, CDE


>>> <patrickbuller@hotmail.com> schrieb am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 um
01:53:54 in Nachricht <CYuIf.1825$wT2.900@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>:
> I am working on finishing a 5.1 to 6.5 migration. There are 38 6.5sp3 or 
> greater servers. There is one server at each site with the exception of 
> the 
> main office where there are a total of 4 NetWare servers. I am migrating 
> the 
> last server (the 39th) in the tree (NetWare 5.1 SP7) to NetWare 6.5 SP5. 
> The 
> server is the only SLPDA in the tree/network. It is unscoped using 
> SLPv1. 
> 6.5sp5 will use SLPv2 which requires a scope. I plan to create a scope 
> prior 
> to the migration. I will need to update the other (38) NetWare servers 
> with 
> the new scope after it is created. Will I need to reboot all the NetWare 
> 
> servers to make the SLP scope take effect? I have heard both ways.
> 
> Also, I plan to advertise the new scope via DHCP to the workstations. 
> DHCP 
> is configured for year-long leases. (Don't ask why.) Can I advertise the 
> new 
> scope before it is created, so the workstations already have the scope 
> when 
> the scope is created? Will it still see the old unscoped servers in the 
> interm? Most local(all?) functions are provided by the local server. Do 
> the 
> workstations need to be able to find the other servers?
> 
> Are there other things I need to be aware of as part of this migration 
> from 
> SLPv1 to SLPv2 and from unscoped to scoped?
> 
> Any expertise/experience is appreciated,
> Patrick 
0
Werner
2/15/2006 8:37:36 AM
Very cool. Thank you much!
pb

"Werner Seifert" <w.seifert@netcomp.at> wrote in message 
news:43F2F65C.16F8.004D.0@netcomp.at...
> Hi patrick
>
> TID10081615 describes how to migrate to slpv2 without the need of 
> restarting
> the servers.
>
> DHCP Clients ask at each startup the dhcp server for the validity of the 
> ip
> address and other stuff, the lease time  counter is reset to zero and the
> lease of one year or so takes only place if there is no communication with
> the dhcp server possible. If you set dhcp option 78 (Directory Agent) and 
> 79
> (Service Scope) the novell clients should recognize the settings after a
> reboot of the ws (you can check this in a dos box with slpinfo /all
> command).
>
> Werner Seifert
> MCNE, MCNI, CDE
>
>
>>>> <patrickbuller@hotmail.com> schrieb am Mittwoch, 15. Februar 2006 um
> 01:53:54 in Nachricht <CYuIf.1825$wT2.900@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>:
>> I am working on finishing a 5.1 to 6.5 migration. There are 38 6.5sp3 or
>> greater servers. There is one server at each site with the exception of
>> the
>> main office where there are a total of 4 NetWare servers. I am migrating
>> the
>> last server (the 39th) in the tree (NetWare 5.1 SP7) to NetWare 6.5 SP5.
>> The
>> server is the only SLPDA in the tree/network. It is unscoped using
>> SLPv1.
>> 6.5sp5 will use SLPv2 which requires a scope. I plan to create a scope
>> prior
>> to the migration. I will need to update the other (38) NetWare servers
>> with
>> the new scope after it is created. Will I need to reboot all the NetWare
>>
>> servers to make the SLP scope take effect? I have heard both ways.
>>
>> Also, I plan to advertise the new scope via DHCP to the workstations.
>> DHCP
>> is configured for year-long leases. (Don't ask why.) Can I advertise the
>> new
>> scope before it is created, so the workstations already have the scope
>> when
>> the scope is created? Will it still see the old unscoped servers in the
>> interm? Most local(all?) functions are provided by the local server. Do
>> the
>> workstations need to be able to find the other servers?
>>
>> Are there other things I need to be aware of as part of this migration
>> from
>> SLPv1 to SLPv2 and from unscoped to scoped?
>>
>> Any expertise/experience is appreciated,
>> Patrick 


0
patrickbuller
2/15/2006 10:08:41 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 upgrading to Netware 6.5
HI...I have a client that wants to upgrade to New\tware 6.5 from 5.1 and they are running Groupwise 5.5....is there any compatibility issues with this? thanks DW --____RJBCLHIVGHSDIKNHFZLJ____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I just did this last week and had no problems. One key thing to note is = that you should not upgrade your version 5.5 GWIA until AFTER all of your = MTA's & POA's are upgraded. The v6.5 MTA/POA will work with the older = GWIA, but the older POA/MTA will not work with the new GWIA. ...

Upgrade/Migration from NetWare 5.1 to 6.5
I am planning to migrate a server from NetWare 5.1 to 6.5. I am concerned about one aspect of this migration. I host several websites using Novell Enterprise Web Server. Will the 6.5 install migrate my settings to Apache or will I have to reconfigure Apache after the upgrade? Thanks. Joshua Pitlick Lead System Engineer American College of Ob-Gyn 409 12th St., SW Washington, D.C. 20090 Joshua, > I am planning to migrate a server from NetWare 5.1 to 6.5. I am concerned about one aspect of this migration. I host several websites using Novell Enterprise Web Server. Will the 6...

Netware 6.0 to 6.5 Upgrade/Migration
I will be looking to upgrade and migrate our current Netware 6.0 SP3 environment to Netware 6.5 and new hardware soon. I am currently in the process of patching all servers with SP5 which would eventually allow me to upgrade existing servers with Netware 6.5 if necessary. It would seem this is required due to the fact that the Netware Migration Utility does not migrate Netware 6.0 to 6.5 on new hardware. What experiences have others had and what is the recommended course of action? Regards, On Thu, 14 Jul 2005 01:32:32 GMT, shingle@iinet.net.au wrote: >It would ...

Upgrade Netware cluster from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
Hello! We bought new hardware for our 2 new Netware 6.5 servers for cluster. Now we 've cluster on Netware 5.1 with shared disk system. I wonder what design of upgrading is better. Is it better that i install Netware 5.1 on both new servers and for begining make migration from NW5.1 to NW51 cluster (just changing the hardware for servers) and the second step make inplace migration to Netware 6.5? Or is it better to install Netware 6.5 with latest support packs on both new servers, prepare existing NDS tree for cluster migration, and make migration with upgrade wizard on both ser...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I am in the process of upgrading a Netware 5 server to a Netware 6.5 server and have a few questions: 1. I would like to run both the Netware 5 and Netware 6.5 server at the same time on the same network. (Is there a migration tool that will transfer the data only, having different file server names?) 2. By doing the above, and having the NDS replicate to the new Netware 6.5 server, does this cause any problems? (Eventually the Netware 5.0 server will be taken offline) 3. Is there any pdf file or technical docs on upgrading from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and what the issues might be?...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 migration
I was reading on the migration pdf file about migrating from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and one section states that the minimum requirement is Netware 5.0 and another section states Netware 5.1 with service pack 6. Along with different NDS versions and edir versions being supported. This migation would be an across the wire migration to new hardware. Any concrete minimum requirements would be great to have before an upgrade is done! Thanks the migration wizard 8 supports a nw5.0 to nw6.5 migration. http://www.novell.com/documentation/migwiz80/nmw_80/data/bswlrly.html ...

Netware 6.5 to 6.5 Migration
I have just patched all our netware 6.5 servers with sp7. At the moment everything looks good. I need to migrate these servers to new hardware. My question is can I patch the premigration server with post sp7 patches before I migrate the server? The reason I ask is that on a practice migration my destination server abended when it rebooted to take the source servers name. I ended up rebooting the server again and everything was fine but I wouldnt want that to happen in the live enviorment. -- MRT ------------------------------------------------------------------------ M...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and > upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is > our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is > also our webserver for the school district). > > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files fro...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is also our webserver for the school district). > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files from the old server... > >...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 migration
My corporation recently acquired a company with a single Netware 5.0 server. We have already installed a new Netware 6.5 server at their location that is part of our global eDirectory tree. Their old NW 5.0 server is on its own indepentent tree. What is the best method to migrate their users, groups, data, trustees, and printers to our global tree. We have already created a container for them in our global tree. I looked at the SCMT tool from Novell but I think it is designed to migrate/upgrade servers that are in the same tree. Any suggestions besides a manual creation of user...

Netware 6.5 and GroupWise 6.5 upgrade
I run a small NW shop with three 5.1sp6 servers and GroupWise 5.5. I am ready to upgrade to NW6.5 and GW6.5. My question is which should I upgrade first? Should I upgrade to NW 6.5 with GroupWise5.5 installed or should I upgrade to GW6.5 on the NW5.1 box then upgrade the OS? Thanks, Rick Rick Harding, > I run a small NW shop with three 5.1sp6 servers and GroupWise 5.5. I am > ready to upgrade to NW6.5 and GW6.5. My question is which should I upgrade > first? Should I upgrade to NW 6.5 with GroupWise5.5 installed or should I > upgrade to GW6.5 on the NW5.1 box...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a netware 5.0 (no sp) with ds 7.45 on a Compaq Proliant 3000. This server is alone on my tree. I want migrate this server to Netware 6.5 to a Compaq dl 380 G2. What is the best method ? Thanks for answer Fran�ois-Xavier Derveloy France You will need to deploy updates on the 5.0 server prior to running the Migration Wizard. No SP's at all on the 5.0 server? That is rare indeed. Also, how many users on this server and how much data? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Hello, config.txt give this : Novell NetWare 5.00...

Netware 5.x to Netware 6.5 migration
I have a few questions in regards to migrating Netware 5.x to Netware 6.5 server. I have 2 servers, one running 5.1 the other running 5.0, I want to consolidate those two servers into one new Netware 6.5 server on new hardware. I know I must run the migration wizard for the one server, but do I have to run the migration wizard twice, i.e. on both 5.x servers, or can I simply migrate one server and copy the data from the other server without migrating the nds objects? Also, the data on one server is to much to do a migration wizard over the weekend, slow data transfer, so can I mig...

Web resources about - SLP migration 5.1sp7 to 6.5sp5 - novell.netware.install-upgrade

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License ;additional terms may apply. By using this site, you agree to the ...

Paris deal considers climate change role in mass migration
Global warming has already contributed to the the large-scale displacement of people that has been an ominous, politically sensitive undercurrent ...

EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow
EU-Turkey summit to center on stemming migration flow

Security is a major concern for cloud migrations
... Moreover, 40 percent worry about the loss of physical control over data in the cloud. In particular, 69 percent of companies fear migration ...

Christian Charities Combat Resistance to Muslim Migration
The Obama administration intends to bring 10,000 Syrian refugees, almost all Muslim, to the U.S. in FY 2016 unless Congress rejects funding. ...

Migration to Windows 10 to be fastest yet, says Gartner
Windows 10 is poised to become the most widely installed version of Windows ever, following on the path of Windows XP and Windows 7 before it, ...

Huawei, Telefonica Partner on Enterprises Cloud Migration
The first countries where the enterprise cloud service will be deployed are Brazil, Mexico and Chile during the first quarter of 2016.

High skilled migration and global innovation
... using a multi-country endogenous growth model. The proposed framework introduces and quantifies a “frontier growth effect” of skilled migration: ...

MarTech Today: Google’s Rich Snippets, Dynamic Number Insertion & Site Migration
Here’s our daily recap of what happened in marketing technology, as reported on Marketing Land and other places across the web. From Marketing ...

Mass Migration of Muslims to U.S. Mostly a Mirage
Contrary to Donald Trump's claims, immigrants from Muslims countries constitute a paltry percentage of the total number coming into the U.S. ...

Resources last updated: 12/15/2015 7:38:00 AM