Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server?

Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are
two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new
hardware over two weekends.

thanks

0
John
9/9/2005 3:22:30 PM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

John wrote:

> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as there are
> two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated over to new
> hardware over two weekends.

Yes, but they must be at DS621. And run the deployment wizard ones.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

Just follow the instructions for the pre migration preparation of your
NW 4.11 tree, then they can coexist with 6.5  - and be sure to run all
major Edir changes (schema extensions, creation of new objects etc.)
only at the NW 6.5 platform.

W. Prindl

John wrote:

> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as
> there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated
> over to new hardware over two weekends.
>
> thanks
Thanks guys,

  One more question, does the Migration Wizard 6.5 have any issue's with
migrating from a Netware 4.11 server to a Netware 6.5 server on new
hardware? As I noticed that anything above the Migration Wizard 6.5 does not
work with Netware 4.11, according to the Novell doc's at least...

Thanks

================
"W. Prindl" <05nos@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message
> Yes it can - I had one running for about one year in a NW 6.5 Edir tree
> without problems.
>
> Just follow the instructions for the pre migration preparation of your
> NW 4.11 tree, then they can coexist with 6.5  - and be sure to run all
> major Edir changes (schema extensions, creation of new objects etc.)
> only at the NW 6.5 platform.
>
> W. Prindl
>
> John wrote:
>
>> Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as
>> there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get migrated
>> over to new hardware over two weekends.
>>
>> thanks

0
John
9/9/2005 10:11:47 PM
As long as you have no long file names like
"..\Common\jvm\netware\java\demos\jumpingbox\sounds\danger,danger...!.au
" (part of the GW 5.5 EHP installation) you should be fine - if you
have such non standard  file names the NW 4.11 TSA abends during file
copy and you hardly have a clou where and for whatever reason. If the
latter happens just install new server into tree and copy files over
manaully (via a client station) and copy trustee rights with
trustee.nlm.

W. Prindl

John wrote:

> Thanks guys,
>
> One more question, does the Migration Wizard 6.5 have any issue's
> with migrating from a Netware 4.11 server to a Netware 6.5 server on
> new hardware? As I noticed that anything above the Migration Wizard
> 6.5 does not work with Netware 4.11, according to the Novell doc's at
> least...
>
> Thanks
>
> ================
> "W. Prindl" <05nos@pamtwbnospam.at> wrote in message
> > Yes it can - I had one running for about one year in a NW 6.5 Edir
> > tree without problems.
> >
> > Just follow the instructions for the pre migration preparation of
> > your NW 4.11 tree, then they can coexist with 6.5  - and be sure to
> > run all major Edir changes (schema extensions, creation of new
> > objects etc.) only at the NW 6.5 platform.
> >
> > W. Prindl
> >
> > John wrote:
> >
> > > Can a Netware 4.11 server co-exist with a Netware 6.5 server, as
> > > there are two Netware 4.11 servers and each server will get
> > > migrated over to new hardware over two weekends.
> > >
> > > thanks

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Netware 6.5 Server with a Netware 5.0 Server?
We want to install a new Netware 6.5 server in an environment that has two 6.0 servers and 2 Netware 5.0 servers on the same tree. We are running 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? Thanks in advance. Dennis Dennis, > We are running > 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are > there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? > According to: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/...

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

Install Netware 6.5 SP5 Server in the Netware 6.0 SP5 Tree
Good day ! There is a little problem . We have fully functional tree Netware 6.0SP5 on a four servers (it works VERY FINE through 3 years).All servers are Dell PE2600. None of postfixes neither patches released after SP5 not installed - pure SP5 only. One weeks ago we've got a new server - Dell PE 1950 8))) specially for some tasks, and we found that NW 6.0 NOT APPLICABLE for this type PE.Well, we have licensed 6.5 and we thought about tree upgrade, but it was planned as "not-in-this-month" task. And now I think ,that acceptable decision for us will - to instal...

Web resources about - Netware 4.11 coexist with Netware 6.5 server? - novell.netware.install-upgrade

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ