Install Netware 6.5 into a 5.1 tree enviroment

I want to install Netware 6.5 into a brand new server into a Netware 5.1
enviroment. NDS is 8.85c and Service Pack 7.
My main reason of doing this is that Groupwise is on 5.1 which I'll upgrade
also and I will be migrating the post office from 5.1 server to 6.5 server
then I'll migrate the users data. Maybe there's a better way, I don't know?
Will I have issue's doing this? Has anybody have any tips or thoughts on
this.

Thanks

JC

0
jc
9/15/2005 10:29:59 PM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

You can install the 65 server into the tree once you prep the tree.
This is done by running the NWDeploy utility from the OS CD (autoruns
in a PC).

Once you complete the utility you are ready to install your first NW65
server.

After the server is up you can move the GW system over using one of
several TIDs.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/15517.html

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

"The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so
today."
- Douglas Adams
0
Timothy
9/16/2005 1:58:09 AM
Tim,

On my netware 5.1 server do I need to install the latest service pack? It
already has SP7. Are you saying that I need to run NWDeploy utility on
the NW 5.1 server prep the tree. Then I can install 6.5 on my new box and
join the tree? I hope I make sense, because I'm confused.

Thanks for your help.

JC

> You can install the 65 server into the tree once you prep the tree.
> This is done by running the NWDeploy utility from the OS CD (autoruns
> in a PC).
>
> Once you complete the utility you are ready to install your first NW65
> server.
>
> After the server is up you can move the GW system over using one of
> several TIDs.
> 10024917
> 10052948
> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/15517.html
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
>
> "The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
> to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
> ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
> technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so
> today."
> - Douglas Adams

0
jckid1
9/16/2005 2:31:55 AM
You'll be alright with sp7. As Timothy said, just make sure you run the
deployment wizard so you prepare your tree for Nw65. It requires some schema
extensions.

Cheers,
Edward

<jckid1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Tim,
>
> On my netware 5.1 server do I need to install the latest service pack? It
> already has SP7. Are you saying that I need to run NWDeploy utility on
> the NW 5.1 server prep the tree. Then I can install 6.5 on my new box and
> join the tree? I hope I make sense, because I'm confused.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> JC
>
>> You can install the 65 server into the tree once you prep the tree.
>> This is done by running the NWDeploy utility from the OS CD (autoruns
>> in a PC).
>>
>> Once you complete the utility you are ready to install your first NW65
>> server.
>>
>> After the server is up you can move the GW system over using one of
>> several TIDs.
>> 10024917
>> 10052948
>> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/15517.html
>>
>> --
>> Timothy Leerhoff
>> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
>>
>> "The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
>> to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
>> ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
>> technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so
>> today."
>> - Douglas Adams

0
Edward
9/16/2005 5:04:38 AM
Hi all.
I'm in the same process in my costumer. They want to upgrade all the NW 5.1
to NW 6.5 OES. My only question is: in the NW 5.1 tree (here) they haven't
a CA (certificate services). Is necessary install a CA in the NW 5.1 tree,
or in the first upgrade the NW 6.5 install this for me?

Tks.

Att,
Alan Cota.

> You'll be alright with sp7. As Timothy said, just make sure you run the
> deployment wizard so you prepare your tree for Nw65. It requires some schema
> extensions.
>
> Cheers,
> Edward
>
> <jckid1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Tim,
> >
> > On my netware 5.1 server do I need to install the latest service pack? It
> > already has SP7. Are you saying that I need to run NWDeploy utility on
> > the NW 5.1 server prep the tree. Then I can install 6.5 on my new box and
> > join the tree? I hope I make sense, because I'm confused.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> >
> > JC
> >
> >> You can install the 65 server into the tree once you prep the tree.
> >> This is done by running the NWDeploy utility from the OS CD (autoruns
> >> in a PC).
> >>
> >> Once you complete the utility you are ready to install your first NW65
> >> server.
> >>
> >> After the server is up you can move the GW system over using one of
> >> several TIDs.
> >> 10024917
> >> 10052948
> >> http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/15517.html
> >>
> >> --
> >> Timothy Leerhoff
> >> Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop
> >>
> >> "The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
> >> to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
> >> ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
> >> technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so
> >> today."
> >> - Douglas Adams

0
alan
9/16/2005 12:00:49 PM
Hello again,

That's a good question. Is there a TID on the specs to install 6.5 into a
NW 5.1 enviroment? I just want to make sure that I'm running the correct
Service Packs, DS, etc? Also how do I found out if this customer is
running a CA?
Thanks
JC

>Hi all.
> I'm in the same process in my costumer. They want to upgrade all the NW
5.1
> to NW 6.5 OES. My only question is: in the NW 5.1 tree (here) they
haven't
> a CA (certificate services). Is necessary install a CA in the NW 5.1
tree,
> or in the first upgrade the NW 6.5 install this for me?
>
> Tks.
>
> Att,
> Alan Cota.
>

> > You'll be alright with sp7. As Timothy said, just make sure you run
the
> > deployment wizard so you prepare your tree for Nw65. It requires some
schema
> > extensions.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Edward
> >
> > <jckid1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Tim,
> > >
> > > On my netware 5.1 server do I need to install the latest service
pack? It
> > > already has SP7. Are you saying that I need to run NWDeploy utility
on
> > > the NW 5.1 server prep the tree. Then I can install 6.5 on my new
box and
> > > join the tree? I hope I make sense, because I'm confused.
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > >
> > > JC

NW65

0
jckid1
9/16/2005 1:29:09 PM
Yes, you need to have a working certificate authority.

Within ConsoleOne or NWAdmin check the security container. Within there,
there should be a CA - Tree name (I think) object. Double click that object
and check if the server name in there is still valid. If that is true then
run pkidiag on every server to fix any certificate issues per server.

If you don't have a CA object in the security containter, install
certificate services onto one of your servers.

> Hello again,
>
> That's a good question. Is there a TID on the specs to install 6.5 into a
> NW 5.1 enviroment? I just want to make sure that I'm running the correct
> Service Packs, DS, etc? Also how do I found out if this customer is
> running a CA?
> Thanks
> JC
>

>>Hi all.
>> I'm in the same process in my costumer. They want to upgrade all the NW
> 5.1
>> to NW 6.5 OES. My only question is: in the NW 5.1 tree (here) they
> haven't
>> a CA (certificate services). Is necessary install a CA in the NW 5.1
> tree,
>> or in the first upgrade the NW 6.5 install this for me?
>>
>> Tks.
>>
>> Att,
>> Alan Cota.
>>

>> > You'll be alright with sp7. As Timothy said, just make sure you run
> the
>> > deployment wizard so you prepare your tree for Nw65. It requires some
> schema
>> > extensions.
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Edward
>> >
>> > <jckid1@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> pack? It
> on
> box and

> (autoruns

> NW65

> armor
> neatly
> do so

0
Edward
9/16/2005 8:29:13 PM
> into a NW 5.1 enviroment? I just want to make sure that I'm running
> the correct Service Packs, DS, etc?

The requirements are in the install documentation.

www.novell.com/documentation

For DS I suggest you do a full DS health check using TID 10060600

As far as DS you might want to upgrade DS t. 8.7.3.0 then apply 8.7.3
ir4+ prior to installing the first NW65 server.  By moving the DS tree
to full eDirectory it will be one thing less that will need upgrading.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

"The myth that Bill Gates has appeared like a knight in shining armor
to lead all his customers out of a mire of technological chaos neatly
ignores the fact that it was he who, by peddling second-rate
technology, led them into it in the first place, and continues to do so
today."
- Douglas Adams
0
Timothy

installing netware 6 into netware 5.1 enviroment
we have now have 3 novell 5.1 servers all with service-pack-8 which means that DS.NLM is now version 8.85c I am trying to install a NEW novell netware 6.0 server into the existing NDS and when I get to the screen eDirectory-Installation I get a little window that says "eDirectory installing" and on the next day its still there....... I have tried installing the NEW server with novell 6.0 in a new TREE and it works perfectly (?) at least I can log-on to both TREEs and things like "Novell Server Consolidation Utility" seem to work OK. In order to install Nove...

installing netware 6.5 cluster into exisiting netware 5 tree.

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Installing a NetWare 6.5 server into an all 5.1 tree
We are considering installing a NetWare 6.5 server into one of our remote sites. All of our other servers are currently 5.1. I know it is not an issue to put the 6.5 server into our environment, but NetWare Customer Service told me that it is suggested that the master replica be put onto the 6.5 server. We don't want to do that since this is a remote site, and we really don't want to upgrade our existing master replica server at this time. Would we be able to "get away with" installing just a partition replica onto the 6.5 server and maintain the Master Repl...

Install NetWare 6.5 server into 5.1 tree?
Are there any issues with installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 tree. We are presently on eDir 8.73. You should be ok here -- what Service Pack is deployed on the 5.1 servers? -- Barry Schnur Novell Volunteer Sysop We are on SP6 but may be moving to SP7 relatively soon. "Barry Schnur" <barry@home.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1c5079df974821c9896b8@support-forums.novell.com... > You should be ok here -- what Service Pack is deployed on the 5.1 > servers? > > -- > Barry Schnur > Novell Volunteer Sysop OK -- SP6 ...

Installing 6.5 into Netware 5 sp 5 tree
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C713A9.D79D00A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Trying to install Netware 6.5 SP3 OES into an existing Netware 5 Tree. = DS is up to version 7.62c on all existing NW5 servers (Three of them). = Service pack level is NW5SP5 on all existing servers. This is the = first 6.5 server to go in. Ran deployment manager before install and it = still hangs in the same spot. The server object installs into the tree = and that is it. If I go into NW...

Install new NetWare 6.5 server into 5.1 tree
Are there any issues installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 tree? We are presently on eDir 8.73. Tom Murray, > Are there any issues installing a new NetWare 6.5 server into a NetWare 5.1 > tree? We are presently on eDir 8.73. > Yes. Run the deployment manager from the 6.5 SP2 overlay CD to prepare the tree. Then install edir8733.exe on the 6.5 server afterwards. - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 build 2195 ...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Installing a Netware 6.5 server into existing NW 5.1 tree
Any "gotchas" to this or is it just like adding a server to an existing Tree? Can be done. I recommend the following as minimums: 1 - NW5.1sp8 with post sp8 patches 2 - eDir upgraded to 8.7.3.x 3 - Use the NW65sp4a overlay CDs at a minimum 4 - run NWDeploy from the NW65OS CD to prepare the tree for the first NW65 server -- Timothy Leerhoff Novell Support Forum Sysop "I want to live like there is no tomorrow I want to dance like no one's around I want to sing like nobody's listening I want to give like I have plenty I want to love like I'm not a...

NetWare 6.5 + NetWare 5.1 in same tree
I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7, can I go straight from SP5 to SP7, or do I need to go from SP6 to SP7, and how will that affect the NW51SP8 node? thanks -- Arjen_Robben ------------------------------------------------------------------------ You should be able to go direct -- the 5.1 SP8 should be ok here. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Arjen_Robben wrote: > > I have 7 NW65SP5 and 1 NW51SP8 nodes in the same tree, I need to patch > the NW65SP5 nodes to SP7...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Web resources about - Install Netware 6.5 into a 5.1 tree enviroment - novell.netware.install-upgrade

China's e-commerce enviroment improved
China's commerce regulators have shut down 168 illegal e-commerce websites in 2012, patrolling a bustling online shopping environment.

Meta-Service Design: Designing a Way for Design to Survive in a Toxic Organizational Enviroment
Picture shows only a small portion of cities that were taken on the June 16. The Sentence under the picture is a part of Brazil's national Anthem, ...

Obamacare failures prove target rich enviroment for 2014 GOP hopeful
'It's no surprise that young Americans are not signing up for ObamaCare. They're not stupid.'

humanoid Robot Kinect’s with its enviroment
[Malte Ahlers] from Germany, After having completed a PhD in neurobiology, decided to build a human sized humanoid robot torso . [Malte] has ...

Development Enviroments
Development Enviroments news, information, and how-to advice

‘Rolling Coal’: Anti-Enviroment Political Protest?
... to rolling coal, he claims that “everything else about it is pretty good.” [Image via BombedCummins and YouTube ] ‘Rolling Coal’: Anti-Enviroment ...

Microsoft Enviroment video reveals datacenter server numbers and power consumption?
It's probably safe to bet that all of Microsoft's online operations doesn't run off a single server in the basement of Gates' house (on the other ...

Malin Akerman & Scandal's Darby Stanchfield Have the Enviroment on Their Minds!
Malin Akerman , Darby Stanchfield , and Rachelle Lefevre all look lovely in their short dresses on the green carpet at the 2014 Environmental ...

Christie: 'I Did Nothing To Create The Enviroment' That Led to Bridgegate
Governor Chris Christie (R., N.J.) gave his first interview since Bridgegate Thursday night on ABC News with Diane Sawyer . Christie insisted ...

Prince Albert's Tips on Saving the Enviroment : People.com
The Prince of Monaco exclusively told PEOPLE the personal ways he works to preserve the environment