ARCserve 11.1 SP3 with Netware 6.5 SP8

I noticed CA's web site does not list ARCserve 11.1 SP3 as being
supported on Netware 6.5 SP8.  I know we have sites that are working
fine with Dell servers and PowerVault 122T.  However, that is not the
case with the PowerVault 124T.

Without official support from CA, is there a way to make these backups
more stable?  I can't reschedule backup jobs through the Windows Manager
without causing ABENDS on UNIQSVR.NLM.  Every few weeks I have a backup
failure because the software and changer stop communicating.  At that
point I have to stop ARCserve then unplug and plug in the SCSI cable
then start ARCserve again just to restore normal functionality.

Hope to hear some good news from people that have successfully used
this combination.

Thanks,
Robert

--
robfwtx

robfwtx
8/23/2010 3:06:03 PM
novell.netware.install-upgrade 1409 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi Robert,

Although Service pack 8 has not been officially tested, we have been
using it in house for some time and have not had any problems related to
the service pack.

After looking at the Certified device list, I see that the Powervault
124T is certified with ARCserve 11.1 for NetWare.  Are you experiencing
the abends on all your servers running with Powervault 124T's or only
one of them?

In terms of the times of the abend, do they only occur after the
communications breakdown between ARCserve and the hardware occurs or is
it any time you use the manager?  If it is only when the communication
problem occurs, it's probably related, if it happens at any time, then
it's probably 2 separate problems.

To start troubleshooting you would need to post the abend.log (if the
log is long, only post the most recent Abend 1) and the tape$svr.log so
we can see if you getting the communications problems logged.  Also, a
current config.txt file can't hurt.

A server abends is not something that is easy to troubleshoot in a
forum post, have you considered contacting CA Technologies support for
assistance?

Thanks,
John

--
giljo03
giljo03's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=83147

0
giljo03

Upgrade from NetWare 5.1 SP8 to NetWare 6.5 SP5
Hello folks, we have one single NetWare 5.1 SP8 server upgraded to NetWare 6.5 SP5 but one error was shown during this procedure. The following box appeared telling us: Windows: SNMP Object Creation Error Contents: An error was encountered while creating the eDirectory SNMP objects. The error returned was -625. Please see the readme for instructions on how to perform this task manually. Couldn't find a suitable readme but I have found a documentation how to create the SNMP group object under NetWare. The command SNMPINST.NLM -c <AdminContext> &l...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Arcserve 11.1 SP3 Netware 5.1 SP8
Hi Guys, I've seen a couple of other threads on this subject but neither seem to provide a solution. Now I have the same problem so if anyone can help I would appreciate it. I have been running Arcserve 5.1 on this server with Arcserve for a while with no problems. We had to increase our backup size and so installed an exabyte VXA-2 Tape Drive. This gave intermittent tape format errors E1014, in the Tape Log it gave E6076, E6092 and E6958 Communication Failure on SCSI Loop. Re-installed the previous Tandberg SL6 and had no problems. So Blamed the Tape Unit and had the S...

Netware 6.5 SP3 & Arcserve 11.1 SP3 problem
I'm running into a weird problem just after I upgraded my Arcserve install to SP3 (Arcserve 11.1 For Netware SP3). The backup works fine but the file names come out looking weird. For example: Volume Name=DATA Folder Name @ root of DATA=RESTRICTED When viewing the backup session (for example, doing a restore by session within Arcserve), I get the following file name instead *RESTRI~1*. Any file name over 8 characters is truncated with a tilde symbol. Yes, I do have all the appropriate name spaces enabled in Netware. The problem did *not* happen with SP2, but I was forced to ...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Netware 6.5 (sp3) + Arcserve 11.1
LS. We have a Novell server 6.5 (sp3) with Arcserve 11.1 with an Exabyte VXA-2 tape unit. In the beginning (2 months ago) the backups where no problem , but now the backup jobs are failing. In the Arcserve job log we see two errors. E1039 failed to flush tape driver buffer + E1058 failed to read ... If we look at the log of Arcserve Tape server, we see [2256] E6958 Comminucation Failure on SCSI loop [2256] E6959 Unknown HACB error. Possibly no error occured. I've looked at CA KB but cannot find a solution. any ideas? Regards, Dirk See reply in other thread. ...

Arcserve 11.1 on NetWare 6.5/SP3
hi, I get the following error messages: "failed to open catalog file \ARCSERVE\TEMP\00000018.tmp, errno=6, NetWareErrno=90" No detail information is merged. Another problem is: "server specific information error" fffdffdc,fffdffdc. Thank You for any ideas. Klaus CA support has an unreleased patch that should resolve this error. The patch number is T453007. On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 14:13:28 GMT, klaus.tillenburg@gmx.de wrote: >hi, >I get the following error messages: "failed to open catalog file >\ARCSERVE\TEMP\00000018.tmp, err...

NetWare 5.1 SP3 server no longer able to ping NetWare 5.1 SP8 server
I'm hoping someone can help me rather quickly. We upgraded on our master NetWare 5.1 server from SP3 to SP8 on Thursday morning. Unfortunately, one of our other NetWare 5.1 SP3 servers just stopped time syncing with it on Saturday. We desperately need to get it talking again because of Groupwise, etc. I was wondering if upgrading it to SP8 would resolve the problem. Unfortunately, our time sync isn't working, and I'm afraid of trying SP8. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:03:22 GMT, eberlyd@bbsol.us wrote: >I'm hoping so...

Web resources about - ARCserve 11.1 SP3 with Netware 6.5 SP8 - novell.netware.install-upgrade

arcserve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
arcserve is a leading provider of data protection software solutions that enable mid-market, SMB and enterprise customers to backup, replicate ...

CA Technologies to sell ARCserve and focus on core capabilities
CA Technologies has entered into a definitive agreement to sell its ARCserve data protection business to Marlin Equity Partners.

Arcserve Expands Unified Data Protection Platform With Cloud
The offering gives users the ability to store valuable business data for disaster recovery without the cost and maintenance of dedicated hardware. ...

Arcserve's Mike Crest: 'Everything We Do is Partner-Centric'
Arcserve CEO Mike Crest spoke to The VAR Guy about the company's split from CA and its partner business.

Numerous holes in CA's ARCserve Backup for Laptops and Desktops
... overflows in more than 60 ways. An update has been provided. Computer Associates reports the discovery of numerous vulnerabilities in its ARCserve ...

Webcasts by company: Arcserve - InfoWorld
According to a recent survey, one in three companies has declared a disaster in the past five years because a critical component of their infrastructure ...

Tech Data Expands Partnership With CA Technologies to Offer arcserve MSP Enablement Program
... announced an expanded distribution agreement with CA Technologies /quotes/zigman/99641/delayed /quotes/nls/ca CA -0.37% to provide the CA arcserve® ...

Canadian Manufacturer Taps CA ARCserve For High-Speed Backup And Disaster Recovery In Virtualized Environment ...
Through a For IT, By IT editorial filter, Network Computing connects the dots between architectural approach and how technology impacts the business, ...

CA ARCserve D2D r15 Wins Comparative Review Against Acronis Backup & Recovery 10
ISLANDIA, N.Y., Sept. 27 /PRNewswire/ CA ARCserve D2D r15 Wins Comparative Review Against Acronis Backup & Recovery 10. Testing Finds ARCserve ...

Arcserve Makes Move into the Cloud
Arcserve CEO Mike Crest said Arcserve Cloud is designed to be a natural extension to the company’s existing backup and recovery appliances that ...