Which server should be DHCP/DNS server?

It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it
matter which server is the DHCP server, perhaps in terms of speed of
logging in, etc.?  Is it possible to have the DNS server be other than
the BM server?

Just want to know if this matters from a system design point of view.
Network in question has 4 Netware servers and 1 Windows server.

TIA.

-S-

0
Steve
3/24/2006 11:13:37 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <B2%Uf.9742$_K3.9291@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Steve
Freides wrote:
> It makes sense that the BM server is also the DNS server - does it
> matter which server is the DHCP server, perhaps in terms of speed of
> logging in, etc.?

There should be a DHCP server at each WAN location, if you have more
than one.  If using DDNS, updates might be faster if you run DNS and
DHCP on the same server, although it is not a requirement, and it may
not matter if there aren't a lot of updates to handle.

> Is it possible to have the DNS server be other than
> the BM server?

Sure.  Either way, BM still has to allow its traffic out and back in
for forwarded requests.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP/DNS console
It is an oddity. In one of my subnets at another building, if I run DNS/DHCP Console, I can see both DHCP servers in the one tree. I can also manage and edit them. If I am in the other building (separate subnet), if I run DNS/DHCP Console, it does not recognize any DHCP servers. DHCP is working in both buildings but I currently need to be in the other subnet to manage them. These trees were merged and the second DHCP server reconfigured. Servers are running NW6 SP5 patched up to current levels. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Steve D. In article <SjUNg.2618$...

Moving both my DNS/DHCP servers from one server to another.
Hello All: How would I go about in moving my entire DNS/DHCP servers from one server to another. Both servers are 5.1 sp6, edir 8.7.0.3, both servers in the same tree and OU as well as in the same segment. Thanks Please see http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10016871.htm Joerg Slt, > How would I go about in moving my entire DNS/DHCP servers from one server > to another. > Both servers are 5.1 sp6, edir 8.7.0.3, both servers in the same tree and > OU as well as in the same segment. > There is a TID that covers DNS/DHCP di...

DNS Suffixs in Netware DHCP server
I am trying to configure our Netware DHCP server to send out the Domain DNS Suffix search order. Is this possible? If so where do you do the configuration? Any help would be great! Thanks Much! Mike TID 10060439 any help ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ well it answered my question, you can not use DHCP to push domain suffixs. Thanks "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:xn0fbckkj1gipux00k@forums.novell.com... > TID 10060439 any help ? > > Cheers D...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

W2K3 server DNS/Netware 5.1 DHCP
Can anyone tell me if (and how to configure) Novell DHCP (5.1) can dynamically update a Windows 2003 Server DNS? I can get the WinXPpro clients to update to the W2K3 server, but I will have to go to each machine and type in the domain suffix (since they are not member of the ms domain) as well as configuring them to register that connection in DNS. Jeff As a sidenote...I think my answer lays in DHCP option 15...but it is not listed under the other options tab in DNSDHCP managment . Jeff "jeff4379" <jeff4379@news.postalias> wrote in message news:206Tc.2...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

Migrate DNS/DHCP from a linux bind8/dhcpd3 machine to a netware 6 server
Hi Guys, The documentation at the Novell site wasn't overly helpful in this quest. What I want to know is whether there's an easy way of migrating my zone-files and dhcpd.conf from existing debian boxes to a novell server, like in just copying the files over ... I'd like to preserve both since they're quite big, the dhcp-server only handing out leases to know MACs. I'd hate to have to re-enter them all. Cheers, Andrej If debian writes your DHCP info to DHCPTAB3 formatted files, then you should have no problem there. DNS files can also be imported. Yo...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

DNS-DHCP Secondary server
I recently replaced a downed server. It was also my secondary DNS/DHCP server. Could someone explain to me how to install the DNS/DHCP service on this server so it is just my backup DNS/DHCP service, I don't want to screw up my e-directory. There is already a DNS-DHCP object, and a DNSDHCP-GROUP. Thank you. -- tallcotton64 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Tallcotton64, > I recently replaced a downed server. It was also my secondary DNS/DHCP > server. Could someone explain to me how to install the DNS/DHCP service ...

Web resources about - Which server should be DHCP/DNS server? - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

CRTC Issues First-Ever Warrant To Take Down Toronto-Based Malware Server 4
TORONTO — The CRTC has issued its first warrant under the federal government's anti-spam legislation to take down a Toronto-based malware server ...

Attack floods Internet root servers with 5 million queries a second
Enlarge (credit: rootservers.org ) Early last week, one of the most vital organs of the Internet anatomy came under an unusual attack. On two ...

Samsung's first 128 GB DDR4 RAM modules for servers go into production
... mass production of the industry’s first "through silicon via" (TSV) 128GB DDR4 memory modules for high-end enterprise and data centre servers. ...

Bloodborne servers taken down for 'emergency maintenance'
An exploit and other "serious issues" have been detected.

Microsoft to change Windows Server 2016 licensing rules, will use per-core metric
Microsoft last week announced it will switch the licensing for next year's Windows Server 2016 to a per-processor-core basis, a move analysts ...

PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign
PR Guru Working For Clinton Server IT Firm Donated To Hillary’s Campaign

Samsung starts mass production of 128GB DDR4 modules for enterprise servers
Samsung Electronics has announced that it is mass producing the industry's first TSV DDR4 memory in 128GB modules for enterprise servers and ...

Server Files Sexual Harassment Complaint Against Pigalle Restaurant
... restaurant Pigalle is being accused of sexual harassment by a waitress , who says that management implied her jeans were "too much." The server ...

HPE, Dell Stay Atop Growing Global Server Market
Demand for rack systems and growth of hyperscale data centers help drive growth of x86-based systems, according to IDC and Gartner analysts. ...