Netware to OES

I don't see an OES dhcp newsgroup, so I'm gonna post this here.

Trying to migrate a dhcp server from nw65sp8 to oes2sp3.  I'm trying
the migration wizard, but have some issues 'locating' some things in my
tree.

Under the target options tab, I cannot locate:

Service Name:
Locator Object:
Group Object:

I have a dhcp locator object in my tree, as I have many other dhcp
servers, and can open the java dns/dhcp console.

Wondering if it would just be easier to manually create the object to
run dhcp on this oes server.

If I were to do this, would I just need to create one dhcp service for
my entire tree, or do I create one for each separate dhcp server I have?

Any suggestions on doing this would be greatly appreciated.

--

Stevo
0

In order to migrate you have to have DHCP installed on the target server
and you have to create a service.  Once you do that the objects should
show up and you should be able to migrate.   Service objects didn't
exist under NW, and the group object and new locator object will be
created when you install/configure DHCP on the target.

--
joharmon
joharmon's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=15424

0
joharmon
4/5/2012 7:46:01 PM
joharmon sounds like they 'said':

> In order to migrate you have to have DHCP installed on the target
> server and you have to create a service.  Once you do that the
> objects should show up and you should be able to migrate.   Service
> objects didn't exist under NW, and the group object and new locator
> object will be created when you install/configure DHCP on the target.

So my response to joharmon's comment is...

Ok, that makes sense.  What about the services, etc though?  Do I only
need one & do I need to a new dhcp locator object for my tree for oes?

Does the locator object for netware not work for oes?

--

Stevo
0
Ok, that makes sense.  What about the services, etc though?  Do I only
need one & do I need to a new dhcp locator object for my tree for oes?

Does the locator object for netware not work for oes?
------------------------------------
DNS under OES Linux will utilize the same locator as under netware
(DNSDHCP); however, DHCP under OES Linux will utilize a new locator
object (DHCP_Locator).  Not sure why they broke it off on its own, but I
think they had to.  You will notice the newer DNS/DHCP management
consoles combine DNS management under one tab, but DHCP is broken off to
two different tabs to manage DHCP, one for NW and one for Linux.

Not sure what you are asking regarding services.

--
joharmon
joharmon's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=15424
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=454347

0
joharmon
4/5/2012 8:36:01 PM
joharmon sounds like they 'said':

> DNS under OES Linux will utilize the same locator as under netware
> (DNSDHCP); however, DHCP under OES Linux will utilize a new locator
> object (DHCP_Locator).  Not sure why they broke it off on its own,
> but I think they had to.  You will notice the newer DNS/DHCP
> management consoles combine DNS management under one tab, but DHCP is
> broken off to two different tabs to manage DHCP, one for NW and one
> for Linux.
>
> Not sure what you are asking regarding services.

So my response to joharmon's comment is...

Ok, so re-configured dhcp on this server & got the dhcplocator @ the
root of my tree.

So, when I bring up the dns/dhcp console, under the DHCP (OES Linux)
tab, I cannot create anything (subnet, pool, etc) at the root level
without creating a service or DHCP server first.  I already have a dhcp
server created, so I don't need another one setup for this particular
server.

--

Stevo
0
Stevo;2187606 Wrote:
> joharmon sounds like they 'said':
>
> > DNS under OES Linux will utilize the same locator as under netware
> > (DNSDHCP); however, DHCP under OES Linux will utilize a new locator
> > object (DHCP_Locator).  Not sure why they broke it off on its own,
> > but I think they had to.  You will notice the newer DNS/DHCP
> > management consoles combine DNS management under one tab, but DHCP
> is
> > broken off to two different tabs to manage DHCP, one for NW and one
> > for Linux.
> >
> > Not sure what you are asking regarding services.
>
> So my response to joharmon's comment is...
>
> Ok, so re-configured dhcp on this server & got the dhcplocator @ the
> root of my tree.
>
> So, when I bring up the dns/dhcp console, under the DHCP (OES Linux)
> tab, I cannot create anything (subnet, pool, etc) at the root level
> without creating a service or DHCP server first.  I already have a
> dhcp
> server created, so I don't need another one setup for this particular
> server.
>
> --
>
> Stevo
You wont see anything until the migration is complete.  You have to
create a service, and everything else will be created under it.  That is
a requirement.  Once you create a service object you should be able to
perform the dhcp migration.  After that you should see all of your
subnets, pools, etc.

Side note:  some of the naming conventions between dhcp on nw and oes
have changed:  IE  range = pool now.

--
joharmon
joharmon's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=15424
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=454347

0
joharmon
4/5/2012 9:16:50 PM
joharmon sounds like they 'said':

> You wont see anything until the migration is complete.  You have to
> create a service, and everything else will be created under it.  That
> is a requirement.  Once you create a service object you should be
> able to perform the dhcp migration.  After that you should see all of
> your subnets, pools, etc.
>
> Side note:  some of the naming conventions between dhcp on nw and oes
> have changed:  IE  range = pool now.

So my response to joharmon's comment is...

Thanks for the info.  That seems to have done it, dhcp migrated.  Now
just doing tweaking to get things working right so I can view leases,
get dhcp to update dns, etc.

Thanks!

--

Stevo
0
joharmon sounds like they 'said':

> You wont see anything until the migration is complete.  You have to
> create a service, and everything else will be created under it.  That
> is a requirement.  Once you create a service object you should be
> able to perform the dhcp migration.  After that you should see all of
> your subnets, pools, etc.
>
> Side note:  some of the naming conventions between dhcp on nw and oes
> have changed:  IE  range = pool now.

So my response to joharmon's comment is...

Ok, so I'm having some issues.  I cannot get my clients on this subnet
to receive their DNS suffix, so some of their services are not going to
work properly.

I tried to config my dhcp server like tid 7006450 to view leases, etc,
but I cannot add the omapi-key setting to my dhcp server.

Suggestions?

--

Stevo
0

Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server
Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production. Hard not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :) That said - we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers. Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration? Just one tree. The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN. With multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch configuration - so we'll have to update ...

Netware 6.5 or Netware OES
What's the difference? What should we go for? 100412.1762@csi.com wrote: >What's the difference? NetWare OES is NetWare 6.5 SP3 or later. >What should we go for? For a new install, use the NW 6.5 SP5 or later overlay CDs. -- Marcel Cox http://support.novell.com/forums Many thanks ...

OES NetWare = NetWare 6.5?
--____EPDJRYFQAHOZXLWIKOOA____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable OK, correct me if I'm wrong, but after downloading the OES NetWare CDs it = states that it is NetWare 6.5? Is this correct? I'm already running NetWare 6.5 SP2. Will there be a NetWare 7.0? Thanks, John --____EPDJRYFQAHOZXLWIKOOA____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____NYJGDZJVSAEVBAXBVEWB____" --____NYJGDZJVSAEVBAXBVEWB____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable ...

Windows DHCP
Hi All, We replaced some NW servers running DHCP with server 2003 boxes runnning DHCP. We configured them the same as far as address ranges, dns server addresses, etc. The problem is that the workstations which get addresses from the Server 2003 boxes will NOT register their PTR or A records on our Netware 6.5 SP5 DNS box. Is this a hopeless cause or is there some way to make this work? John Morgan -- Jmorg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ In article <Jmorg.3l7f2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jmorg wrote: > The pro...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Dns/DHCP Netware upgrade
Hi, We have two 5.1sp6 servers running DNS and DHCP services. We want to move these 2 services to two new servers running Netware 6.5sp1a. What is the best way to do this? Is there something special to do, take care? Thank you --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If they are in the same tree, then you really don't have to worry about = much at all (create the new server objects, make sure that any routers = doing BOOTP forwarding are setup for the new servers, then move the = s...

OES NetWare vs. NetWare 6.5 SP3
This may be a dumb question, but is Netware 6.5 SP3 the same as Netware side of OES? Chris Gotstein Fox Point - Bayside School District Hi, Chris Gotstein wrote: > > This may be a dumb question, but is Netware 6.5 SP3 the same as Netware > side of OES? Basically, yes. There are AFAIK two differences: SP3 will not update iManager to 2.5, and will not update Virtual Office either. A fresh install from the upcoming SP3 overlay CDs will install the newer versions of these. iManager 2.5 can be installed manually on a server that has been patched to SP3. I don't ...

SLES DNS and NetWare DHCP
We have had DHCP running on NetWare for some time, with no local DNS service. The DHCP option 6 is set to a BorderManager DNS proxy. I just set up a SLES 11 server with named, and it will resolve our local static IP addresses and forward to OpenDNS. I am using it now, and it seems to be working correctly. Next step, can I set the NetWare DHCP server to update the SLES DNS server, or would I be better off setting up DHCP on the SLES server? My main concerns are transitioning to the SLES server without disruption, and getting Option 60 for ZFD PXE boot set up correctly. ...

Netware to OES2 DNS/DHCP
I'm about to migrate my two dns/dhcp servers from Netware 6.5.8 to OES2 Linux 64bit machines. I have two questions about the process. 1. I've not migrated a Netware host to a OES2 host yet. I understand it's possible to do an ID tranfser to the OES2 box to keep the servername, ID etc Is this correct? 2. and more appropriate for this forum, DNS/DHCP. Can I run DNS/DHCP on both Netware and OES2 while I upgrade both machines, I will I need to have only one server running these services during the upgrade process? I'll need a couple of days to complete the above...

Netware DHCP to SunOne DNS
Currently we are using Netware for DHCP. Our goal is to start leveraging our DHCP setup to start registering and updating our existing DNS Servers running Sun's DNS. What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? Thanks In article <5olcg.958$Mr.939@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote: > What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary > to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? > Yes, Novell's DHCP server can only upd...

Upgrade from NetWare 6.0 SP5 to OES Netware
--____RZGFFFIQAQFWLXRCMWOW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Is it preferable to upgrade my master replica and SLP server first before = upgrading my other servers or does it not really matter? The reason I'm asking is my 6.0 SP5 master replica server doesn't have = enough disk space on the sys volume to upgrade. It is an older server = that needs to go but the guy before me set it up with a 2GB sys volume and = there is less than 500MB space left. The healthcheck fails.=20 So the question is can I upgrad...

Netware 5.0 to OES Linux Netware and Deployment Manager
Hello Novell Community, We have several Netware 5 servers that we'd like to upgrade to OES Linux Netware, replacing the existing hardware but not making any changes to the NDS and Netware tree. Server names must retain the same name. As part of our testing we have setup a test server that was created in the live environment, with a R/W nds replica and has now been moved to a test environment. I started the upgrade process by applying Netware 5 Service pack6 to take the server to 5.0.9. I also applied NICI 1.5.7 upgrade. Using the Deployment Manager tool on the OES Novell c...

GroupWise 6 and NetWare 6.5 SP5 OES NetWare
Would you please provide upgrade path advice? We currently have GroupWise 6 SP4 running on NW6.5 SP2. We want to patch all the NetWare server with SP5 and a week later upgrade GroupWise 6 to 7. We noticed that NW6.5 SP5 upgrades all of your NetWare 6.5 components to OES NetWare and I don�t know if GroupWise 6 and all of its agents will work in OES NetWare. Should we upgrade GroupWise first to 7 and then apply NetWare SP5 a few weeks later to be safe? You input is appreciated. wkramer@mail.michbar.org wrote: > We noticed that NW6.5 SP5 upgrades all of your NetWare 6....

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

Web resources about - Netware to OES - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ