Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS

I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am
using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows
2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows
server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone
master failed.

If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.

Graeme
0
gmurphy
1/31/2007 4:39:06 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Versions please... NetWare?  Service Pack?  NAMED.NLM?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

gmurphy@three.com.au wrote:

> I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am
> using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows
> 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows
> server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone
> master failed.
>
> If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.
>
> Graeme

0
Brad
1/31/2007 3:41:18 PM
>I have resolved the issue which turned out was a core switch hardware
issue.
Thanks anyway for your assistance. It is much appreciated that you guys
are out there to help

Graeme
Versions please... NetWare?  Service Pack?  NAMED.NLM?

> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
>
> gmurphy@three.com.au wrote:
>
> > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am
> > using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows
> > 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows
> > server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone
> > master failed.
> >
> > If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated.
> >
> > Graeme

0
gmurphy
1/31/2007 10:18:16 PM
No problem.  Glad you got it going!

--
bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS forwarding to 'unknown' DNS server/
We are netware 5.1. I have 2 DNS server, both are configured with a forward address. On our firewall, i have seen that my dns servers are making request (sometimes) to others serves. Some address are in the rootserverinfo (m.roots-erver, ...) and other names like blackhole-1.iana.org. I don't understand why it looks for m.roots-server ... because my forwardings are configured and why it looks for black.... Are you sure those requests are from your DNS server and not from workstations on your network? You might download DBGLOG.EXE -- with it you can record the NAME...

Why won't AD SRV records register properly in Netware DNS?
I cannot seem to get Windows servers to properly register the AD and Server SRV records in Netware DNS. Is there something special that needs to be done to facilitate this? Version of NetWare? Service Pack? Version of NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp NW65SP5 NW65UPD1 Named version is 6.04.15 Thanks Brad Doster wrote: > Version of NetWare? Service Pack? Version of NAMED.NLM? > > bd > NSC Volunteer SysOp > > OK, you're running a version that can support SRV records, so that's a good start. :) Next, we need details of what yo...

Windows DHCP
Hi All, We replaced some NW servers running DHCP with server 2003 boxes runnning DHCP. We configured them the same as far as address ranges, dns server addresses, etc. The problem is that the workstations which get addresses from the Server 2003 boxes will NOT register their PTR or A records on our Netware 6.5 SP5 DNS box. Is this a hopeless cause or is there some way to make this work? John Morgan -- Jmorg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ In article <Jmorg.3l7f2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jmorg wrote: > The pro...

After setting up DNS server, normal DNS query wouldn't work
Hi everyone. I'm new to Opensuse, and recently trying to set up a DNS server though Yast. I run Opensuse 11.3 +XP under virtualbox(bridged network) On the first day I started DNS server, everything worked very well, in both virtual machine and opensuse, I could browse any webpages. But today something strange happened... in xp virtual machin, everything works just fine, no any problems, but in Opensuse, DNS server was running, but I just couldn't browse any webpages, I'm sure that's DNS's problem, because I could ping an external IP address but couldn't pi...

dns newbie : dynamic dns error (doesn't have server address)
Hello, I am trying to create a dns server and a zone. I am using iManager and the server is netware 6.0 (I think sp3). I want to create all hosts in one zone (mycompany-intranet.be). Is that a good idea? In the screen for creating a server, I have to enter a domain. I don't know what I have to enter in there. Should I enter 'mycompany-intranet.be'? And then create a zone with the same name? I have tried it like that, and it seams to work. My dhcp server (on the same machine) gives out addresses, and the clients can ping to the hosts I created in the zone. I also c...

MS-FAQs about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003 DNS
This was a fine article on Windows Server DNS, and includes some good cross-links. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;291382 /Quote Frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 DNS and Windows Server 2003 DNS Article ID : 291382 Last Review : December 17, 2004 Revision : 5.0 This article was previously published under Q291382 On this Page SUMMARY MORE INFORMATION SUMMARY This article describes DNS functionality in Windows 2000 and Windows Server 2003, and provides answers to frequently asked questions about Windows 2000 and Windows Server 20...

DNS Suffixs in Netware DHCP server
I am trying to configure our Netware DHCP server to send out the Domain DNS Suffix search order. Is this possible? If so where do you do the configuration? Any help would be great! Thanks Much! Mike TID 10060439 any help ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ well it answered my question, you can not use DHCP to push domain suffixs. Thanks "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:xn0fbckkj1gipux00k@forums.novell.com... > TID 10060439 any help ? > > Cheers D...

Web resources about - Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS - novell.netware.dns-dhcp