Netware DHCP to SunOne DNS

Currently we are using Netware for DHCP.  Our goal is to start
leveraging our DHCP setup to start registering and updating our existing
DNS Servers running Sun's DNS.
What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary
to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup?

Ted
5/22/2006 4:10:41 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <5olcg.958$Mr.939@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote:
> What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary
> to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup?

Yes, Novell's DHCP server can only update Novell's DNS server running in
the same NDS tree.  So you'd need to use NW as your Primary DNS server,
and the Sun would have to become Secondary.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
5/23/2006 2:58:57 PM
Would it be adviseable to setup the Novell DNS Server and continue to
have our clients use the SunOne server as their primary.  So essentially
the Novell instance would simply be a go between.  What is the best
advisable method by which to setup an update procedure between Netware
DNS and SunOne DNS.

Thanks

Brad Doster wrote:
> In article <5olcg.958$Mr.939@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote:
>> What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary
>> to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup?
>>
> Yes, Novell's DHCP server can only update Novell's DNS server running in
> the same NDS tree.  So you'd need to use NW as your Primary DNS server,
> and the Sun would have to become Secondary.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Ted
5/24/2006 3:43:55 PM
The client machines really won't care which server is their primary DNS
server.  Make it the server that can best handle the load.  If things are
running OK right now, there's no reason to change that setting.

In article <%a%cg.3041$Mr.246@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote:
> What is the best
> advisable method by which to setup an update procedure between Netware
> DNS and SunOne DNS.

It seemed from your earlier message you wanted to use Novell's Dynamic
DNS so that your DHCP records would be placed in DNS.  If so, then see my
earlier reply.  If not, then please clarify your goal a little further as
there may be no need at all for Novell's DNS in the picture.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Windows DHCP
Hi All, We replaced some NW servers running DHCP with server 2003 boxes runnning DHCP. We configured them the same as far as address ranges, dns server addresses, etc. The problem is that the workstations which get addresses from the Server 2003 boxes will NOT register their PTR or A records on our Netware 6.5 SP5 DNS box. Is this a hopeless cause or is there some way to make this work? John Morgan -- Jmorg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ In article <Jmorg.3l7f2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jmorg wrote: > The pro...

Dns/DHCP Netware upgrade
Hi, We have two 5.1sp6 servers running DNS and DHCP services. We want to move these 2 services to two new servers running Netware 6.5sp1a. What is the best way to do this? Is there something special to do, take care? Thank you --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If they are in the same tree, then you really don't have to worry about = much at all (create the new server objects, make sure that any routers = doing BOOTP forwarding are setup for the new servers, then move the = s...

SLES DNS and NetWare DHCP
We have had DHCP running on NetWare for some time, with no local DNS service. The DHCP option 6 is set to a BorderManager DNS proxy. I just set up a SLES 11 server with named, and it will resolve our local static IP addresses and forward to OpenDNS. I am using it now, and it seems to be working correctly. Next step, can I set the NetWare DHCP server to update the SLES DNS server, or would I be better off setting up DHCP on the SLES server? My main concerns are transitioning to the SLES server without disruption, and getting Option 60 for ZFD PXE boot set up correctly. ...

Netware to OES2 DNS/DHCP
I'm about to migrate my two dns/dhcp servers from Netware 6.5.8 to OES2 Linux 64bit machines. I have two questions about the process. 1. I've not migrated a Netware host to a OES2 host yet. I understand it's possible to do an ID tranfser to the OES2 box to keep the servername, ID etc Is this correct? 2. and more appropriate for this forum, DNS/DHCP. Can I run DNS/DHCP on both Netware and OES2 while I upgrade both machines, I will I need to have only one server running these services during the upgrade process? I'll need a couple of days to complete the above...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

DNS/DHCP Netware 6.0
Hi all, How can i configure DNS/DHCP on a Netware 6.0 server? I want to know all the options. First of all I would recommend the netware.dns-dhcp newsgroup. You can get much more info there. The basic steps for dhcp are: 1. Create a dhcp-server object 2. Create a subnet-object 3. Create a subnet adress range (SAR) 4. Define options to hand out You can do this with the dns/dhcp management console. Then change the client s to dhcp. http://www.novell.com/documentation/dns_dhcp/pdfdoc/dhcp_enu.pdf Joerg ...

DNS Suffixs in Netware DHCP server
I am trying to configure our Netware DHCP server to send out the Domain DNS Suffix search order. Is this possible? If so where do you do the configuration? Any help would be great! Thanks Much! Mike TID 10060439 any help ? Cheers Dave -- Dave Parkes [NSCS] Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/ well it answered my question, you can not use DHCP to push domain suffixs. Thanks "Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message news:xn0fbckkj1gipux00k@forums.novell.com... > TID 10060439 any help ? > > Cheers D...

Whether to use Netware for DNS/DHCP?
We have always used static IPs. We have about 300 users. Let's say they are spread equally inside of 192.168.a.b where a is 1, 2 or 3 depending on the floor or location you are in. We have always just pointed people to our ISP for DNS. Lately we have been considering going to DHCP and bringing the DNS in-house so we have a little more flexibility. The thing is, everyone on my staff including myself has used these service on Win2k or 2003 server and are familiar with them. We are debating whther to just throw one of these out there to do it or learn the Netware way. Mos...

Converting DHCP/DNS from Netware to OES2
Hello, What is the process for converting a DHCP/DNS cluster resource running on Netware to OES2? We have a Netware two node cluster. I will remove node1 and insert a new OES2 node1 into the cluster. Install DHCP/DNS on it. Then do I run the migration tool and migrate the DHCP/DNS services that are running the Netware/node2 server to the OES2/node1 server? I have done the process on a stand alone server using the migration tool and it was pretty easy and went smoothly but have never done this on a cluster/cluster resource. Thanks Scott -- SJFast911 -------------------...

DNS/DHCP with Netware 6.5
I am configuring DNS and DHCP on an evaluation server running Netware 6.5. I have configured DNS on NW5.0, NW5.1 and NW6.0 successfully in the past with no problems. The DHCP workstations get there IP information etc and get automatically listed in the DNS database for every implementation short off Netware 6.5. I cannot get DHCP workstations automatically listed in the DNS database - it simply doesn't happen! On the DNS screen on the server console, whenever an attempt to access the DNS database occurrs (using internet browser from the workstation to access web server on th...

DNS/DHCP version for Netware 6.5
Does anyone see problem moving DNS/DHCP services from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 SP5 server? Thanks DHCP is generally OK. DNS sometimes has problems -- to avoid these, be sure to install DNSDHCP when installing 6.5 (even though it's already installed in the tree) and when asked, choose the container which currently holds your DNSDHCP locator and Group objects, and the RootServerInfo zone. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

Dynamic DNS with NetWare DHCP and Linux BIND?
Hi all, I have scoured the TIDs and newsgroups and can't find my answer there - so I'm hoping a new post might shed some light. We are the ISP for 4 school districts, a total of 20+ sites. Each has a Netware 6.5 server running Novell DHCPSRVR 3.13 All sites are behind a common Cisco PIX firewall. We have a master internal DNS that serves all sites. It is running Fedora Core 1 (Linux) and Bind 9.2.2 My goal is to have workstations register their hostnames with the single DNS server via Dynamic DNS. I can find data on how to do this using Netware DNS and Netware DHC...

Web resources about - Netware DHCP to SunOne DNS - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ