would appreciate if someone can step me through how to achieve above.  I
have checked all Novell tid and discussion forum and could not find steps
referring to moving both dns and dhcp servers from a netware 6.0 sp4 server
and to netware 6.5 sp4 server.

Wai Chu

0
Wai
5/10/2006 11:24:54 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <a4k8g.4419$U_.1361@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Wai Meng CHU
wrote:
> could not find steps
> referring to moving both dns and dhcp servers from a netware 6.0 sp4 server
> and to netware 6.5 sp4 server.

That's because it's the same as long as you're moving from NW 5.0 or higher to
another NW 5.0 or higher server in the tree.  The only caveat with 6.5 is that
you may need to run DNIPINST.NLM on the 6.5 server to ensure all the latest
options are installed in the tree -- if you do this, be sure to specify the
same container that holds your DNSDHCP Locator and Group objects and the
RootServerInfo zone.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

migrate DNS from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server
Are there any instructions for moving the dns from a netware 5 server to a netware 6 server and maintaining the databases? I don't want to have to reenter all of my special DNS info again. Also, when I change the DNS server, I would like to maintain the same IP address for the DNS service. I know I could do an add secondary ipaddress, but is there anything I need to do in the DNS setup to have it respond to that secondary ipaddress rather than the ip address that is on my netware 6 server already? If the 2 servers are in the same NDS tree, simply create the ...

Moving DHCP from NW5.0 server to Netware 6.0 server.
I am going to need to move our DHCP server in the near future from a NW5.0 SP6a server to NW6.0 SP3 server. From what I can see, I need to: 1.Unload DHCPSRVR on the cureent NW5 server. 2.Create a new DHCP server on the NW6 server using Management Console. 3.Assign the subnets and address ranges to the new NW6 Dhcp server. 4.Load DHCPSRVR on the NW6 server. Am I missing anything? Also, can this be done with IManager instead of the DHCP Management console? We are unable to use the DHCP Management Console for whatever reason at this time. It takes approximetly an hour to get it ...

Moving DHCP Subnets from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.x Server
Hi there, I have a customer that is wishing to move their subnets from a NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.x server but want to be able to rollback to the NetWare 5.1 server if things go horrible. My feeling is that this will be fine as the DHCP objects are stored in DS and are not altered by the server loading them. Am I correct or do I start to look for another rollback solution? Cheers, Dave -- Dave Dabinett, > My feeling is that this will be fine as the DHCP objects are stored in > DS and are not altered by the server loading them. > Yes, that is correct. Just t...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server
Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production. Hard not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :) That said - we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers. Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration? Just one tree. The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN. With multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch configuration - so we'll have to update ...

Netware 6.5 Server with a Netware 5.0 Server?
We want to install a new Netware 6.5 server in an environment that has two 6.0 servers and 2 Netware 5.0 servers on the same tree. We are running 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? Thanks in advance. Dennis Dennis, > We are running > 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are > there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? > According to: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/...

DNS/DHCP Netware 6.0
Hi all, How can i configure DNS/DHCP on a Netware 6.0 server? I want to know all the options. First of all I would recommend the netware.dns-dhcp newsgroup. You can get much more info there. The basic steps for dhcp are: 1. Create a dhcp-server object 2. Create a subnet-object 3. Create a subnet adress range (SAR) 4. Define options to hand out You can do this with the dns/dhcp management console. Then change the client s to dhcp. http://www.novell.com/documentation/dns_dhcp/pdfdoc/dhcp_enu.pdf Joerg ...

DNS/DHCP with Netware 6.5
I am configuring DNS and DHCP on an evaluation server running Netware 6.5. I have configured DNS on NW5.0, NW5.1 and NW6.0 successfully in the past with no problems. The DHCP workstations get there IP information etc and get automatically listed in the DNS database for every implementation short off Netware 6.5. I cannot get DHCP workstations automatically listed in the DNS database - it simply doesn't happen! On the DNS screen on the server console, whenever an attempt to access the DNS database occurrs (using internet browser from the workstation to access web server on th...

Migrate DNS/DHCP from a linux bind8/dhcpd3 machine to a netware 6 server
Hi Guys, The documentation at the Novell site wasn't overly helpful in this quest. What I want to know is whether there's an easy way of migrating my zone-files and dhcpd.conf from existing debian boxes to a novell server, like in just copying the files over ... I'd like to preserve both since they're quite big, the dhcp-server only handing out leases to know MACs. I'd hate to have to re-enter them all. Cheers, Andrej If debian writes your DHCP info to DHCPTAB3 formatted files, then you should have no problem there. DNS files can also be imported. Yo...

Error message since we moved DNS/DHCP services to netware 6.5
Hi, Last weekend, we moved DNS/DHCP services from 2 Netware 5.1 sp6 to another two server running Netware 6.5sp1a + DNS603 patch. We have 12 zones. For 11 of them, serverA was the primary server. The error message we have seems to be with the last one where is serverB. For all zones, ServerA and ServerB are Expert DNS server. The only difference is for the Primary server for this zone is ServerB. Same thing for DHCP. There is a sub network where it's ServerB, all others are ServerA. I got this error from ServerA DNS screen, this is the only zone that serverA is...

Moving DHCP Services from a 6.0 Server to a 6.5 Server
Has anyone come across any good documentation describing the steps required to move DHCP services from a 6.0 server to a 6.5 server? There is nothing special to do. The DHCP server remains the same. If you are upgrading your NW 6.0 server to 6.5, then the move will be automatic. However if you want to move the DHCP functionality from a 6.0 server to a different 6.5 server, then you simply create a DHCP server object for the 6.5 server, associate all subnets and address ranges with the new server, unload the DHCP server from the old server and load it on the new one. The new server wi...

Moving DNS Services from a 6.0 Server to a 6.5 Server
Has anyone come across any good documentation describing the steps required to move DNS services from a 6.0 server to a 6.5 server? Duplicate. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

DNS/DHCP version for Netware 6.5
Does anyone see problem moving DNS/DHCP services from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 SP5 server? Thanks DHCP is generally OK. DNS sometimes has problems -- to avoid these, be sure to install DNSDHCP when installing 6.5 (even though it's already installed in the tree) and when asked, choose the container which currently holds your DNSDHCP locator and Group objects, and the RootServerInfo zone. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

Web resources about - move a netware 6.0 dns and dhcp server to a netware 6.5 dns and dhcp server - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ