Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server

Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production.  Hard
not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :)  That said
- we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare
boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers.

Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration?

Just one tree.  The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that
we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN.  With
multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch
configuration - so we'll have to update the configuration to point to
the new DHCP servers IP address.

Is there any other "gotchas" to worry about?

Can the migration be gradual - with both the legacy and new DCHP
servers active in the tree - and just migrate subnets/VLANs one at a
time?

I appreciate any guidance...

--
kellym

kellym
12/30/2011 9:46:02 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

On 30/12/2011 21:46, kellym wrote:

> Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production.  Hard
> not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :)  That said
> - we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare
> boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers.
>
> Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration?
>
> Just one tree.  The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that
> we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN.  With
> multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch
> configuration - so we'll have to update the configuration to point to
> the new DHCP servers IP address.
>
> Is there any other "gotchas" to worry about?
>
> Can the migration be gradual - with both the legacy and new DCHP
> servers active in the tree - and just migrate subnets/VLANs one at a
> time?
>
> I appreciate any guidance...

Assuming you're wanting to migrate the DHCP services and not talking
about migrating actual servers then yes the migration can be gradual.
All you need to do is change the DHCP server a particular DHCP service
is associated with then unload/reload DHCPSRVR.NLM on the relevant
servers (old and new).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.
Simon
1/4/2012 1:59:24 PM
Simon Flood wrote:

>Assuming you're wanting to migrate the DHCP services and not talking about
>migrating actual servers then yes the migration can be gradual. All you
>need to do is change the DHCP server a particular DHCP service is
>associated with then unload/reload DHCPSRVR.NLM on the relevant servers
>(old and new).

Actuall, you mave the DHCP subnet to a different DHCP server.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums

Web resources about - Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Thunderclap Migrating From Twitter to Facebook
Thunderclap, a mass-messaging service that gained popularity on Twitter, has set its sights on Facebook . Twitter recently booted Thunderclap ...

Facebook Migrating Unofficial Page Fans to Official Pages at Brand Owner’s Request
Rupesh Mandal is such an avid fan of the Opera Mini web browser that he set up a Page on Facebook totally devoted to celebrating it, and then ...

YouTube - Evaluating & Migrating to Cloud Storage
Hochgeladen am 31.08.2011 When evaluating cloud storage, no matter the need, there are criteria that must be placed above the rest, including: ...

UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating professionals, study finds
... with 28 per cent, was the leading source of professionals, according to the LinkedIn study. The UAE is the global leader in attracting migrating ...

Enchanting video shows hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters
A video showing hundreds of stingrays migrating through shallow waters has gone viral, months after being uploaded to Facebook.

The krilling season: Whales keep tourists migrating south
Earlybird whale watchers in Eden have been rewarded with astounding acrobatic displays in the bay.

Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great
Migrating Swans were bound for glory, says great

Researchers say Irukandji jellyfish migrating further south along Qld coast
Researchers say climate change could be altering the migration patterns of the dangerous Irukandji jellyfish along Qld's east coast.

Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating to more advanced technology
... Company , iPhone , and iPad continue reading at 9to5Mac . What do you think? Discuss "Apple chip supplier TSMC announces record profits, migrating ...

More eBay Merchants Migrating to Amazon in Search of Sales Growth
EBay's once-loyal merchants are moving more of their business to Amazon, saying they get more for their money by selling merchandise via the ...