HOWTO - Create manual IP address using DNS/DHCP Management Console

I am preparing a plan to deploy NDPS printers, and as part of this plan we
need to create static IP addresses for the printers. What I would like to do
ideally is to turn the printer on, let it obtain an address, and then  mark
it as permanent. However, my system administrator wants to restrict printers
to a range of 10.2.5.x. Using the management console, I can't see any option
for marking an address as permanent, or for taking an already assigned
address and changing it to a different one.

I can see how to create a manual address, and that is probably the option
that we will need to go with. However, I tried to create an address for a
device as a test, but it did not take the address I created. I created a
manual address, gave it the MAC type of "1 Ethernet" and the MAC address of
the device. When I turned on the machine, it grabbed an address from the
pool instead of the defined address. I am sure that I missed a step
somewhere along the line.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate
the assistance. I would really like to finish this project before the week
is out.

Richard

0
Richard
5/24/2004 5:21:30 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Richard,

you can�t change a dynamically assigned address to a manually assigned
address.
Here�s the way i usually go:
1. Switch on the printer and let him grab a dynamic address
2. Create a manual assignment for the mac-address (just enter the mac
and don�t touch the other fields!)
3. Delete the dynamic address
4. Unload and load the dhcpsrvr.nlm
5. Restart the printer

Joerg

0
Joerg
5/25/2004 6:06:25 AM
Thanks, this is the process that I was looking for. I was doing something
very similar, but it wasn't working. However, I didn't give it much time or
effort. Now that I know this process should work, I will give it a shot!
Thanks gain for the help.

Richard

"Joerg Schiffer" <Joerg.Schiffer@FernUni-Hagen.de> wrote in message
> Richard,
>
> you can�t change a dynamically assigned address to a manually assigned
> address.
> Here�s the way i usually go:
> 1. Switch on the printer and let him grab a dynamic address
> 2. Create a manual assignment for the mac-address (just enter the mac
> and don�t touch the other fields!)
> 3. Delete the dynamic address
> 4. Unload and load the dhcpsrvr.nlm
> 5. Restart the printer
>
> Joerg

0
Richard
5/25/2004 7:49:32 PM
No problem. Glad to help.

Joerg
0
Joerg
5/26/2004 5:35:14 AM
> Richard,
>
> you can�t change a dynamically assigned address to a manually assigned
> address.
> Here�s the way i usually go:
> 1. Switch on the printer and let him grab a dynamic address
> 2. Create a manual assignment for the mac-address (just enter the mac
> and don�t touch the other fields!)
> 3. Delete the dynamic address
> 4. Unload and load the dhcpsrvr.nlm
> 5. Restart the printer
>
> Joerg

If you know the MAC address (normally listed on the NIC/Print server or
in the paperwork) you can just add the IP address into the DHCP console
as in step 2 above.  Then just start the printer.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

Joerg
0
Joerg
5/27/2004 6:11:18 AM
> Yes correct, but normally the printer is faster installed by the user
> or our hotline than I get the information :-)

Ah, yes tell IT last.  Been there way too many times.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop
0
Timothy
5/28/2004 2:53:45 AM
Our all destiny!

Joerg
0
Joerg
5/28/2004 7:37:17 AM
> Our all destiny!
>
> Joerg

LOL!

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant
Independant Experts
Novell Support Forums Sysop
0
Timothy

DNS/DHCP Managment Console- IP Addresses not releasing
Hello, I have added a new subnet on our network so we can add more wireless devices (iPads, Cellphones, etc. are all now needing IP addresses) Everything is working fine except that the addresses are not releasing after 3 days. If someone with a Laptop comes into our building with a cell phone or laptop they are picking up an IP address automatically. Then once they leave (and the 3 day lease time expires) DNS/DHCP is not making that address available for another device. Now we are quickly running out of local IP addresses on this new subnet. How can I get DNS/DHCP manageme...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Configure PTR record for DNS using DNS /DHCP Management cons
Hello I am running Novell Netware 6.5 sp7 and am having troubles when I do a nslookup it displays can't find server name for address <server ip> Non existent domain. My google searching has led me to beleive this is because I don't have a ptr record setup in my DNS. Any advice on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jake -- edmundrice ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please post this in the DNS-DHCP forum, thanks. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.co...

Client 4.9.0.0sp1a Netware 5 DNS\DHCP manager console
After installing Novell Client 4.9.0.0 sp1a the DNS\DHCP management console doesn't start anymore, error message "LA002:failed to create NDS context" DNS\DHCP version NW5_ETF05.01, PC OS Windows 2000 and Windows XP Installing the 4.9.0.0sp1a post update doesn't solve the problem. rcools@berk.nl, > After installing Novell Client 4.9.0.0 sp1a the DNS\DHCP management > console doesn't start anymore, error message "LA002:failed to create NDS > context" > DNS\DHCP version NW5_ETF05.01, PC OS Windows 2000 and Windows XP > Installing the...

DHCP/DNS console
It is an oddity. In one of my subnets at another building, if I run DNS/DHCP Console, I can see both DHCP servers in the one tree. I can also manage and edit them. If I am in the other building (separate subnet), if I run DNS/DHCP Console, it does not recognize any DHCP servers. DHCP is working in both buildings but I currently need to be in the other subnet to manage them. These trees were merged and the second DHCP server reconfigured. Servers are running NW6 SP5 patched up to current levels. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Steve D. In article <SjUNg.2618$...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
I am getting the following error message when loading the DNS/DHCP Management Console: LA002: Fail to create NDS context. If I click on OK, then I get a blank field for Enter NDS Tree Name. Did this use to work on this PC? If so what changed? WHat OS/SP on the PC? What NW Client version/sp? -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop Download the latest DNS/DHCP Console. This is caused by using the 4.9 client. The filename is DNSDHCP3.EXE >>> Robert Leet<rleet_nospammers@sevencounties.org> 2/19/2004 2:...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
DNS/DHCP Management Console NetWare 6.5 sp5 Hallo to you all out there that likes the OLD DNS/DHCP Management Console and are not familiar or simple dos not like the iManager interface for DNS/DHCP managing. Many off you have used a Win98 or Win2000 on another machine ore still using a WMware to run the tool in it. Hear comes some small simple task that I discovered that while enable you to run DNS/DHCP Management under WinXPsp2. 1.Download the latest DNS/DHCP Manager (dnsdhcp4.exe http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969896.htm) 2.Unpack the dns...

DNS-DHCP Management Console
I have tried to install the dns-dhcp Management Console and I keep getting the following error message. LA002: Fail to create NDS context I have tried running it with every java between 1.3.0 to the latest 1.4.2 Can anyone help. jnewett@umw.edu wrote: > I have tried to install the dns-dhcp Management Console and I keep > getting the following error message. > > LA002: Fail to create NDS context > > I have tried running it with every java between 1.3.0 to the latest 1.4.2 > > Can anyone help. Update your console. http://support.novell.c...

DNS/DHCP Managment Console
Howdy, Running a Netware 6.5.3 server at a business (mycompany.com). This server handles the DHCP & DNS for all the workstations. i want the FQDN "learn.mycompany.com" to resolve externally to "66.230.200.100". In practice, when a user on the local network enters "http://learn.mycompany.com" into their browser URL, i want them to be taken to Wikipedia.org - I was told that the "DNS/DHCP Managment Console" utility could handle this (which i have loaded), but i have no clue exactly how to add it (without blowing up the serve...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I try and access the DNS/Management Console from NWADMIN I get an error message that it can not find the exe file. Where can I find the dnsdhcp.exe so that I can put it in the correct directory? Do I need to re- install the snap-in? If so how do I do that? "frank_tucker"@amainsure.com) wrote: > > When I try and access the DNS/Management Console from NWADMIN I get an > error message that it can not find the exe file. You need to run sys:\public\DNSDHCP\setup.exe from the DNS server to install the console. -- Jim NSC Sysop > &q...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

DNS/DHCP Management console #2
Having trouble launching the utility, I found TID 10086101, suggests upgrading the console with DNSDHCP3.EXE, but the link is dead and File Finder doesnt' help. Any suggestions on how to get dnsdhcp3.exe? Thank You, Mark Mark.nelson , > DNSDHCP3.EXE, > It is included in the latest 5.x and 6.x service packs. Have you tried googling? http://download.amdsb.ca/novell.com/netware6/tools/dnsdhcp/ - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Novell does not monitor these forums officially. Enhancement req...

DNS/DHCP Management Console empty
Installed new OES2-Linux in existing tree. Selected OES2 DNS and DHCP. Further no config done on the new server at this time. DNS/DHCP is still working on the NetWare servers. When starting DNS/DHCP Managemt the wrong info is displayed. Only the RootSeverInfo in the new ou of the new Linux-server is displayed. There an RootServerInfo-object was automatically created during the install of OES DNS/DHCP. How to switch to the right RootServerInfo (just 1 ou higher in the tree)? -- dali ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 04.05.20...

Web resources about - HOWTO - Create manual IP address using DNS/DHCP Management Console - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Smarkets: Online betting company with ‘self management’ structure
... the reality for the team at Smarkets , an online betting company based near London’s Silicon Roundabout. The business is run with a “self-management” ...

Agile Project Management in a Larger Organisation – Video of my talk
I was recently asked to do a short talk and Q&A for an agile project management meetup in London. You can see the full video here: https://s ...

Grab a project management bundle worth almost $4,000 for $49
... making a change, this training bundle could have you working as a project manager by 2016. Get all the tools you need to get your Project Management ...

Who is your team's clock-management assistant?
(Note: Sunday's edition of The Buffalo News includes a feature that explores the philosophies, fallacies and analytics of NFL clock management. ...

Master project management with two massively discounted certification courses
In the professional sphere, experience with project management is one of the most valuable skills you can have. Starting is harder than just ...

10 Most Widely Used Content Management Systems Online
... software. The 21st century brought with itself a revolution in the field of website designing and development in the form of Content Management ...