Having server name resolve to internal IP without using Windows hosts file

I need each of the computers on the network to be able to resolve the
server
name to its' IP address.  I know that I can go to each workstation and
add
an entry in the hosts file for the server internal IP address and
server
name, but that would be a pain.

Is there a way to have this information provided for automatically by
the
DHCP service (DHCPSRVR) running at the server?

Server is NW5.1SP6.  Clients mostly Win2000 but some WinXP/98.
Currently
DHCP server is providing primary/secondary DNS (code 6) as the ISP's
DNS
servers.

Thanks
James

0
JJB
8/4/2003 6:37:16 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <IKxXa.676$Fa2.488@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Jjb wrote:

> Is there a way to have this information provided for automatically
by the
> DHCP service (DHCPSRVR) running at the server?

No.  You could configure the login script to run a batch file to add
host
file entries, or perhaps use ZENworks for that, but nothing in DHCP
will do
it for you.  The best solution is probably to use an internal name
reslution service such as a DNS or WINS server though.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/5/2003 2:08:20 PM
In article <IKxXa.676$Fa2.488@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Jjb wrote:

> Is there a way to have this information provided for automatically
by the
> DHCP service (DHCPSRVR) running at the server?

Nope.  you could use ZEN or a batch file called from the login script
push out a hosts file though.  Or you could use an internal name
resoluiton
server such as a DNS or WINS server.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
8/5/2003 2:26:04 PM
Whoops.  Sorry for the double-post.  Newsreader hiccup, quick
rewrite... and hey, that wasn't there before! :)

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

;-)

"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> Whoops.  Sorry for the double-post.  Newsreader hiccup, quick
> rewrite... and hey, that wasn't there before! :)
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
> www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
JJB
8/6/2003 1:28:32 PM
Welcome!!! :-)

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

Using Jaguar Server without using the host file on the client
Hi, Help! I need an example of connecting to Jaguar Server (with Power Builder) from the clients machine without using the clients host file. I want to connect using the Jaguar Driver via DNS or possibly an IP address using IIOP. The DNS method seems to initially connect, but gets an error (Error 50 Distributed service error) instantiating a proxy object. The Winsock driver method seems to support a lookup using an IP address, but I don't think we can use it to connect to the Jaguar server. Using an IP address fails on the Jaguar Driver, possibly because its trying to do a ...

Using DNS and DHCP on a Windows 2000 and a Windows 2003 server, but
we use to have a BorderManager server. We have 6 Windows 2003 servers set up in a domain, 3 Netware 5.1 servers and 1 Netware 4.11 server. The BM server has not been in production for years and we use a Windows 2000 server with DNS/DHCP running Winproxy with no problems . However, we recently changed Internet Provider using a new ADSL router and external IP addresses. Now, logging into our Novell servers with a Novell client is taking up to 10 minutes to process the drive mappings resolution screen before getting to the desktop. People logging strictly into the Windows 2003 domai...

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

underscores, server names, DNS, host files
Hello, I have a couple questions about server name resolution as our environment moves toward pure IP. We have six Netware 6.5 SP4a servers with underscores in the name (e.g. ORG_ADMIN1). We have added DNS entries for these servers and replaced the underscores with dashes. Here are my questions: 1) Should the SYS:ETC\hosts file entry for a given server look like: 123.4.5.67 org-admin1.our.domain org-admin1 OR 123.4.5.67 org-admin1.our.domain org_admin1 OR <some other configuration> 2) What impact will there be on drive mappings, if any, when we move to pure IP...

DNS server needs restarting to resolve internal names
I recently implemented a DNS server to resolve internal names and to cache DNS entries. At one level, the server works fine, but frequently my internal servers can't be accessed. I unload NAMED, reload it, and all is well. THis is tiresome and is more trouble than it's worth if the unload-load process has to become another daily ritual. The DNS service is running on a NW6SP2 server that also is my DHCPserver, Certificate Authority, Symantec Corporate Anti-virus master server and RADIUS server. No other problems exist, and there's no indication of anything being am...

resolving host name from host ip
hi i get the host ip by  using  request.userhostip()   but i want the host's system name too.  plz help me check this out http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Code/2002/April/NSLookUpDB001.aspMcKelt Solutions thanks chris    You have been a great help for me.  ...

copy file from one server to another without use Windows
How can I copy file from one server to another without use Windows station. The best solution will be mount volume from remote server and then copy file using CC. How can I do this? -- wrot ------------------------------------------------------------------------ wrot;1893313 Wrote: > How can I copy file from one server to another without use Windows > station. The best solution will be mount volume from remote server and > then copy file using CC. How can I do this? This might help : 'README.TXT' (http://www.cnw.hu/readme.html#7) -- It ain't...

Creating DNS Host name when DHCP IP Address is assigned
I have set the DHCP Up with a subnet The range type is "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP" DNS Update Options is "Always Update" Whe an IP address is assigned to the client and name gets put into the HOST Name portion of the IP Address Addressing TAB But no Host gets created in the DNS Server Whta do I need to do to make this happen Under Address type I see an option for Dynamic DHCP with Automatic Hostname generation thta gives the ability to fill in an auto host name starts with - is this what I need to use?? I have another network, its own tree and thi...

Managed server list in NRM using DNS name instead of IP address
Hi all. When I go into NRM and go to the bottom link and click on managed server list it brings all of my servers up just fine. However as I move the mouse across the server names I see the DNS name instead of the IP so when I click on the applicable server it goes to page can not be found. If I enter the IP address manually everything is OK. My question is where can I go to change the link from using the DNS name to the IP. Example: dmznoell.com is what it shows when it should show http://192.168.60.5 thanks Mark, It appears that in the past few days you have not rec...

DHCP Option 85 on Netware 6.0 SP5 with Server Name vs IP
We currently run client 491 SP2 and have started looking at DHCP versus static ip addressing. In my DNS/DHCP admin tool I can only add a list of IP addresses for DHCP Option 85. So when the client grabs the address it works, but I want it to contain the server NAME, not the IP Address in the field. On the novell client I have enabled Binary mode and enabled Use Server in the DHCP Tab. This is the only way to get it to work for me. But it looks as though there isn't a way for me, on the server side, to allow me to input the SERVER NAME intead of IP addresse. I can delete the 85 opti...

How much memory should a server use? DHCP/DNS/WWW/GrpWise(POA/MTA/GWIA/GWINTER)/iFolder/Msgr/File/iPrint/
We have a HP GL 380 G4 server with 4gb of ram (maxed out) and 200gb of disk space (90gb free) being backed up with an 200gb LTO drive ... and about 75 users (active connections) accessing files, printing, getting email, et al + customers accessing our website. I'm starting to think that we should order a separate groupwise/email / web server in the two year budget due to memory usage. Since we started using Groupwise our memory has dropped from 2gb free to 910mb free... peak 760mb. We also have received the Available Logical Space warning messages and the Remote Administrator...

Upload multiple files to the server without using File Upload
I want to upload multiple files to the server without using input type file (File Upload). Is there a way to do this. What I want to do is retrieve multiple file paths (paths are displayed in a user control like text boxes) and upload those files to the server as a bunch. I tried to set the value of the File Upload cotrol (using javascript) but it was not succeed since attributes of the File Upload are readonly. (document.getElementById("fileUploadValue").value = "C:\Test.txt") Is there a way to override the values in File Upload control or is there a way to up...

I created a website on my localhost with three .mdf files using SQL express but now I get an error when I try to host it on my web server without SQL express. need some help on how to change my connec
An error has occurred while establishing a connection to the server.  When connecting to SQL Server 2005, this failure may be caused by the fact that under the default settings SQL Server does not allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified) Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: An error has occurred whil...

Web resources about - Having server name resolve to internal IP without using Windows hosts file - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Empire of Japan (internal politics 1914–1944) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Since the Meiji period, Japan had been a nominal constitutional monarchy , but the name did not obscure the fact that Japan’s form of government ...

Paris attacks: Immigration Minister Peter Dutton rejects internal call from state MP Andrew Fraser to ...
Peter Dutton shuts down a call from New South Wales MP Andrew Fraser for Australia to stop accepting Middle Eastern refugees.

iPad Pro Smart Keyboard teardown shows off clever internals, scores 0/10 for repairability
... may be in short supply worldwide but that doesn’t stop iFixit from tearing them down. The Apple Pencil teardown demonstrated some clever internal ...

Tomatoes taste good because we slowed down their internal clocks
Domestication accidentally created a plant that thrives in long summer days.

Autoblog Minute: VW finds CO2 'irregularities' after internal investigation
Filed under: Videos , Volkswagen , Emissions , Autoblog Minute The Volkswagen emissions scandal expands in scope, likely including gas cars in ...

New analytics platform helps detect internal attacks
... actions. To provide organizations with additional context and more accuracy to detect malicious attacks, even those that originate internally, ...

Amazon Sale offers big savings on internal and external Samsung SSD drives
... to ensure lightning-fast access to all of your files. And as is the case with anything else, brands matter. When buy an external or internal ...

What Apple employees say about the company's secretive internal corporate culture
... not be responding to this question, nor would I feel wronged for not being able to." Apple makes grammar and punctuation changes in its internal ...

Apple employees have a LOT to say about the company's secretive internal culture
... not be responding to this question, nor would I feel wronged for not being able to." Apple makes grammar and punctuation changes in its internal ...

Mobile Apps: The Next Big Thing for Internal Communications
Internal communications is on the brink of the next big movement for employee engagement and interaction: mobile apps. Straight from the app ...