DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console

When I startup named.nlm, I get this:

Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server...
error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface
ignored
error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface
ignored
  DNS Server running

I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors.  Also, in the DNS/DHCP
Management Console it shows up as a red X.  Other than that, it seems to be
working fine resolving queries.

0
Mel
4/29/2005 9:21:31 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <vzxce.868$MC6.369@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Mel
Chandler wrote:
> error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use

You have another service listening for port 53 traffic over UDP,
perhaps BorderManager's DNS Proxy server?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
4/30/2005 1:45:09 AM
Nope, never installed it.  I've looked in TCPCON and I don't even see DNS/53
listed.

"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> In article <vzxce.868$MC6.369@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Mel
> Chandler wrote:
>> error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
>>
> You have another service listening for port 53 traffic over UDP,
> perhaps BorderManager's DNS Proxy server?
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Mel
5/2/2005 5:20:11 PM
Very strange... it looks like the error message is misleading then,
especially if things are working properly.  As for the red X, that is
usually cosmetic and in the cases where all seems to be working,
definitely cosmetic and not to be worried about.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
5/3/2005 2:32:21 AM
Mel, I just installed a new 6.5 sp3 server and have the same issue with
DNS server start up errors and the red x. Did you ever find the problem ?
I suspect that you, like myself, have other DNS servers running. I don't
thing this server is responding to DNS request, my DNS console screen
shows no activity as do the others.

> When I startup named.nlm, I get this:
>
> Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server...
> error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
> error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface
> ignored
> error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
> error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface
> ignored
>   DNS Server running
>
> I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors.  Also, in the
DNS/DHCP
> Management Console it shows up as a red X.  Other than that, it seems to
be
> working fine resolving queries.

0
jon
5/13/2005 2:01:59 PM
I get the red X and the Interface ignored error but everything works fine.
I only hope Novell fixes this soon.

> Mel, I just installed a new 6.5 sp3 server and have the same issue with
> DNS server start up errors and the red x. Did you ever find the problem ?
> I suspect that you, like myself, have other DNS servers running. I don't
> thing this server is responding to DNS request, my DNS console screen
> shows no activity as do the others.
>

> > When I startup named.nlm, I get this:
> >
> > Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server...
> > error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
> > error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface
> > ignored
> > error:  could not listen on UDP socket: address in use
> > error:  creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface
> > ignored
> >   DNS Server running
> >
> > I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors.  Also, in the
> DNS/DHCP
> > Management Console it shows up as a red X.  Other than that, it seems
> be
> > working fine resolving queries.

0
darcydj
5/13/2005 7:48:50 PM
As stated earlier on, the red X is cosmetic.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DHCP/DNS console
It is an oddity. In one of my subnets at another building, if I run DNS/DHCP Console, I can see both DHCP servers in the one tree. I can also manage and edit them. If I am in the other building (separate subnet), if I run DNS/DHCP Console, it does not recognize any DHCP servers. DHCP is working in both buildings but I currently need to be in the other subnet to manage them. These trees were merged and the second DHCP server reconfigured. Servers are running NW6 SP5 patched up to current levels. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Steve D. In article <SjUNg.2618$...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

Configure PTR record for DNS using DNS /DHCP Management cons
Hello I am running Novell Netware 6.5 sp7 and am having troubles when I do a nslookup it displays can't find server name for address <server ip> Non existent domain. My google searching has led me to beleive this is because I don't have a ptr record setup in my DNS. Any advice on how to set this up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jake -- edmundrice ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please post this in the DNS-DHCP forum, thanks. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.co...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
DNS/DHCP Management Console NetWare 6.5 sp5 Hallo to you all out there that likes the OLD DNS/DHCP Management Console and are not familiar or simple dos not like the iManager interface for DNS/DHCP managing. Many off you have used a Win98 or Win2000 on another machine ore still using a WMware to run the tool in it. Hear comes some small simple task that I discovered that while enable you to run DNS/DHCP Management under WinXPsp2. 1.Download the latest DNS/DHCP Manager (dnsdhcp4.exe http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2969896.htm) 2.Unpack the dns...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I try and access the DNS/Management Console from NWADMIN I get an error message that it can not find the exe file. Where can I find the dnsdhcp.exe so that I can put it in the correct directory? Do I need to re- install the snap-in? If so how do I do that? "frank_tucker"@amainsure.com) wrote: > > When I try and access the DNS/Management Console from NWADMIN I get an > error message that it can not find the exe file. You need to run sys:\public\DNSDHCP\setup.exe from the DNS server to install the console. -- Jim NSC Sysop > &q...

DNS/DHCP Managment Console
Howdy, Running a Netware 6.5.3 server at a business (mycompany.com). This server handles the DHCP & DNS for all the workstations. i want the FQDN "learn.mycompany.com" to resolve externally to "66.230.200.100". In practice, when a user on the local network enters "http://learn.mycompany.com" into their browser URL, i want them to be taken to Wikipedia.org - I was told that the "DNS/DHCP Managment Console" utility could handle this (which i have loaded), but i have no clue exactly how to add it (without blowing up the serve...

DNS/DHCP Management Console
I am getting the following error message when loading the DNS/DHCP Management Console: LA002: Fail to create NDS context. If I click on OK, then I get a blank field for Enter NDS Tree Name. Did this use to work on this PC? If so what changed? WHat OS/SP on the PC? What NW Client version/sp? -- Timothy Leerhoff Principal Consultant Independant Experts Novell Support Forums Sysop Download the latest DNS/DHCP Console. This is caused by using the 4.9 client. The filename is DNSDHCP3.EXE >>> Robert Leet<rleet_nospammers@sevencounties.org> 2/19/2004 2:...

DNS-DHCP Management Console
I have tried to install the dns-dhcp Management Console and I keep getting the following error message. LA002: Fail to create NDS context I have tried running it with every java between 1.3.0 to the latest 1.4.2 Can anyone help. jnewett@umw.edu wrote: > I have tried to install the dns-dhcp Management Console and I keep > getting the following error message. > > LA002: Fail to create NDS context > > I have tried running it with every java between 1.3.0 to the latest 1.4.2 > > Can anyone help. Update your console. http://support.novell.c...

Client 4.9.0.0sp1a Netware 5 DNS\DHCP manager console
After installing Novell Client 4.9.0.0 sp1a the DNS\DHCP management console doesn't start anymore, error message "LA002:failed to create NDS context" DNS\DHCP version NW5_ETF05.01, PC OS Windows 2000 and Windows XP Installing the 4.9.0.0sp1a post update doesn't solve the problem. rcools@berk.nl, > After installing Novell Client 4.9.0.0 sp1a the DNS\DHCP management > console doesn't start anymore, error message "LA002:failed to create NDS > context" > DNS\DHCP version NW5_ETF05.01, PC OS Windows 2000 and Windows XP > Installing the...

Web resources about - DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in businesses and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives by using ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is an art that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Management in business and organizations is the function that coordinates the efforts of people to accomplish goals and objectives using available ...

Wrike Rises Above Other Project Management Software After Testing
Over the last year I had occasion to look at and purchase Task and Project Management software. I had several folks on different teams sign up ...

Management expert Michael Schrage tells why you should love your ex-employees
Talented people who leave your organisation are not traitors.

What's the most popular IT asset management software?
IT asset management (ITAM) software manages the lifecycle of hardware and software. It can help influence decisions about which assets need to ...

Master Six Sigma Lean project management for $49
The Six Sigma Lean management philosophy has been gaining popularity among IT professionals, and for good reason—it helps teams improve internal ...

Charlie Sheen Plans To Counter Sue Ex-Fiancee In HIV Lawsuit Involving ‘Anger Management’ Profits
From the moment the Anger Management actor made public on The Today Show on November 17 that he has been HIV Positive for at least 4-years, we ...

Aruba Improves Management, Analytics to Indoor Location Services
Within its Mobile Engagement 2.0 offering, the company is offering remote beacon management and analytics capabilities.