DNS server needs restarting to resolve internal names

I recently implemented a DNS server to resolve internal names and to
cache
DNS entries.  At one level, the server works fine, but frequently my
internal servers can't be accessed.  I unload NAMED, reload it, and
all is
well.  THis is tiresome and is more trouble than it's worth if the
unload-load process has to become another daily ritual.

The DNS service is running on a NW6SP2 server that also is my
DHCPserver,
Certificate Authority, Symantec Corporate Anti-virus master server and

RADIUS server. No other problems exist, and there's no indication of
anything being amiss at the NAMED console.

Server patches:
SP2
eDir 8.6.2 sp4
post-SP2 NSS patches
iMonitor 1.5
Any input would be appreciated.

0
Grant
11/4/2003 5:24:55 AM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

What version of NAMED.NLM are you running?

Do you have both forward and reverse lookup zones defined?

Make sure your ISP's DNS server(s) are listed in your server's
Forwarding List.

Download DBGLOG.EXE, then use it to capture NAMED -V output to a file

-- after the next "stoppage", look at the dbg.log file to see if it
offers any clues.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
11/4/2003 2:15:48 PM
Strange- is dns logging turned. If it is you should see a really
verbose
dump of everything the named is doing.  Perhaps you will something in
the
log just before it goes off line?

Do your dsrepair run clean?

Is time in sync?

Chris

0
Chris
11/4/2003 8:51:00 PM
version of NAMED: 5.10.06 dated June 25 2002
The forward and reverse lookup zones are both defined.
The DNS servers for my ISP are listed.
NAMED itself never actually stops, it simply stops resolving  the
internal
entries.  External sites are resolved without problem, and I see
plenty of
activity on the NAMED console screen.
All I see in the alert log is: Inoperative.  I've just reset the event
log
to record all events and have restarted NAMED with the verbose option.
 I'll
see what comes out of that.

I am also going to apply SP3 and see if that does anything for me.  If
not,
I'll use dbglog and see what turns up, if anything.

"Brad Doster" <bd@NSCSysOps.net> wrote in message
> What version of NAMED.NLM are you running?
>
> Do you have both forward and reverse lookup zones defined?
>
> Make sure your ISP's DNS server(s) are listed in your server's
> Forwarding List.
>
> Download DBGLOG.EXE, then use it to capture NAMED -V output to a
file
> -- after the next "stoppage", look at the dbg.log file to see if it
> offers any clues.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
> www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Grant
11/4/2003 10:35:58 PM
Time is in sync, and dsrepair is clean.
Logging is on and I see activity, just not tied to the internal names.

As I entioned in my answer to Brad,  all I see in the alert log is:

"Chris Gruenwald" <Chris@baysidenetworks.com> wrote in message
> Strange- is dns logging turned. If it is you should see a really
verbose
> dump of everything the named is doing.  Perhaps you will something
in the
> log just before it goes off line?
>
> Do your dsrepair run clean?
>
> Is time in sync?
>
> Chris

> >> We welcome all computer questions via email <<
>
> Chris Gruenwald, Principal Consultant
> BaysideNetworks.com, Inc.
> 9590 Chesapeake Drive
> Suite 104
> San Diego, CA 92123
> 858-654-4080
> 858-654-4085 Fax
> www.baysidenetworks.com
> chris@baysidenetworks.com
>
> > Outsourced network management
> > Expert troubleshooting / rapid response
> > Custom programming, PHP MySQL
>
>                 * Novell * Microsoft * Cisco
>                 * Solaris * Linux * BSD
>                 * Sonic Wall * Netscreen
>
> ** Celebrating 20 years in the Consulting Industry! **

> I recently implemented a DNS server to resolve internal names and to
cache
> DNS entries.  At one level, the server works fine, but frequently my

> internal servers can't be accessed.  I unload NAMED, reload it, and
all is
> well.  THis is tiresome and is more trouble than it's worth if the
> unload-load process has to become another daily ritual.
>
> The DNS service is running on a NW6SP2 server that also is my
DHCPserver,
> Certificate Authority, Symantec Corporate Anti-virus master server
and
> RADIUS server. No other problems exist, and there's no indication of

> anything being amiss at the NAMED console.
>

> Server patches:
> SP2
> eDir 8.6.2 sp4
> post-SP2 NSS patches
> iMonitor 1.5
> Any input would be appreciated.

0
Grant
11/4/2003 10:39:28 PM
In article <iRVpb.3964$5N5.1524@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Grant
Gathagan
wrote:
> All I see in the alert log is: Inoperative.

Sorry, but what log is that?  Where exactly are you looking?

> I've just reset the event log
> to record all events and have restarted NAMED with the verbose
option.

OK, but you still need dbglog to capture the NAMED -V output.

> I am also going to apply SP3 and see if that does anything for me.
If not,
> I'll use dbglog and see what turns up, if anything.

I'll stay tuned...

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
11/5/2003 3:39:26 PM
Hey -

Can you post the results of a,

nslookup host.domain.local

(where host.domain.local is the fqdn of one of your machines)

I would like to see if the ptr is defined for your name server.

Chris

Feel free to email me anytime,

Chris

0
Chris
11/5/2003 5:08:38 PM
In article <AUVpb.3967$5N5.2001@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Grant
Gathagan wrote:
> Logging is on and I see activity, just not tied to the internal
names.

Check your workstations... are they pointing to your server for DNS
resolution?  It is possible in some environments that the setting gets

changed "behind your back", especially if you're using Spanning Tree
Protocol.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

Internal DNS server (New to DNS)
We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console. We need to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 - www.nashcc.edu 10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15. The DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME and PTR record also...

New DNS servers need to change Netware servers.
I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. > I need to know where to chage the DNS server ip address's that was loaded > at install time because our internet provider has changed DNS servers on > us. The place for primar and Secondary DNS servers. load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->TCP/IP-->DNS Resolver configuration jvaz, > load INETCFG at the server console-->Protocols-->...

Need e-directory server name and DNS name to be different
Hi: We're setting up an OES2/SLES10 box. We're at the point where we're importing the server into an existing tree. We're installing OES2 as an add-on product at the same time we're installing SLES10. When you give it a DNS name, it wants to use that name as the server name (as it would appear in e-directory)...but we don't want that. We want (for example) the server name to be ls2224-cs and the dns name to be dcs2224. Any suggestions? -- pattercw ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pattercw, fi...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

DNS not resolving correctly from 1 dns server
Hi, I have 2 servers (NW65sp3) servicing a zone. 1 server isn't working correctly. I have found the below issue when using NSLOOKUP from my pc. I connect to my working server and enter a server name, 'server' - it resolves ok and gives me a result of server.domain From a second command prompt I run nslookup and connect to my second dns server - i try to resolve the same server name 'server' - i get the below error.. *** dnssvr.domain can't find server: Server failed But if I type in the full domain name of server.domain then it resolves ok. I&#...

How to get DNS Name be the DNS Name rather than computer name
In Patchlink associated with computers there is "DNS Name" field. This field seems to be the computer name (netbios name) for windows computers rather than the dns name assocated with the IP address. Is there a way to configure the patchlink server so this field reports the DNS Name rather than the computer name? where is that "DNS name" field? -- Shaun Pond > where is that "DNS name" field? > > -- > > Shaun Pond > > From the web interface: 1) From the Reports ->Computer Status Report the second field ins...

DDNS
--____OGIJWEIFSZWDFEMDUXEK____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 10 Jan 2007 09:40:29 -0500" We have a Netware 6.5 sp5 server running DHCP and I recently setup a SLES = 10 DNS server, and now i want to dynamically add my workstation hostnames = to the DNS server. I've setup DDNS on the SLES 10 side and generated my = TSIG Private and public keys, but I'm not sure how to get the public keys = to my clients. I'm assuming i would use DHCP, but do not see...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

server name for DNS servers
Running DNS for internal addresses on two NetWare 6.5 sp7 servers. External addresses are handled by our ISPs DNS. Typing nslookup on a Windows XP PC returns the following. C:\>nslookup *** Can't find server name for address x.x.x.x: Non-existent domain *** Can't find server name for address y.y.y.y: Non-existent domain *** Default servers are not available Default Server: UnKnown Address: x.x.x.x x.x.x.x and y.y.y.y are my two DNS servers. Why am I getting errors such as "can't find server name..." and "default servers are not available"? ...

Web resources about - DNS server needs restarting to resolve internal names - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

American realities for Iraqi refugees restarting life in New York
Escape from Baghdad promised so much for Omar and his young family, but their new life as refugees in the South Bronx is hardly the American ...

North Korea may be restarting nuclear plant: U.S. institute
North Korea may be attempting to restart its main nuclear bomb fuel reactor after a five-month shutdown, a U.S. research institute said Thursday. ...

Official: GreenTech Auto restarting production later this year
Filed under: EV/Plug-in , Manufacturing/Plants , NEV (Neighborhood Electric Vehicle) Will the rubber really hit the road for GreenTech Automotive ...

Good Shepherd Church: Rebuilding, restarting after fire
The Good Shepherd Church in all its former glory, before it was devastated by an electrical fire last fall. The church will hold a fundraiser ...

Why Does Your iPhone 6 Keep Restarting?
That’s a good question that no one, not even Apple , can really answer. What’s clear though, is that it happens quite often to many iOS users. ...

a restarting friday open thread
by liberal japonicus I recently restarted doing Tai Chi. I only started doing it because a colleague was teaching it, and a schedule conflict ...

Restarting Opera
Speaking of feature creep, there's a browser that included so many features that I'd probably need an entire day to list them. An email client, ...

Koreas Holding Third Round of Talks Aimed at Restarting Gaeseong
... crossed the demilitarized zone for the third time in just over a week as they seek agreement with their North Korean counterparts on restarting ...

As Sunnis die in Iraq, a cycle is restarting
As Sunni militants rampaged across northern Iraq last week, executing Iraqi soldiers and government workers and threatening to demolish Shiism’s ...

The Lakers Need To Stop Restarting The Season
"It's okay, guys, the real season doesn't start until February."