dns round-robin

We have an F5 load balancer that is using round robin algorithum for our two
app servers. We want to get rid of the F5's and use internal DNS round
robin...

I'm assuming if i make two RR entries for the DNS entry it will work?

Will the client that goes to app1, always goto app1? how do I set the RR
record to expire?

What happens if app1 is down, will the client goto app2 or hang?

0
John
5/13/2004 7:46:21 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

Yes, you can create a resource with multiple RR entries.

Typically a client that gets the DNS resolution will always go to whoever =
it resolved to, there are things that come into play, such as the TTL for =
the record.  With the latest management console you MAY be able to change =
the TTL on the NW5 zone. I know that this is FOR SURE possible with NW =
6.5.  The client SHOULD re-query DNS when the TTL expires, but if we're =
talking about Microsoft....  then who knows, it may or may NOT re-query =
DNS, but it SHOULD.

If app1 is down, unless the client (meaning the application running on the =
client) knows to try going to app2, it won't.  The server has no way of =
knowing if the resource is up or not so it will always hand out all the =
available records.  There may be an application that will interface with =
DNS Hostname Update (RFC 2136) [in NetWare 6.5, NOT 5.x] that will do a =
ping and automatically update DNS....  But then you are in the same =
situation as you are in now...

>>> John<john@ab.com> 2004-05-13 13:46:21 >>>