DNS Round Robin #2

We have an F5 load balancer that is using round robin algorithum for our two
app servers. We want to get rid of the F5's and use internal DNS round
robin...

I'm assuming if i make two RR entries for the DNS entry it will work?

Will the client that goes to app1, always goto app1? how do I set the RR
record to expire?

What happens if app1 is down, will the client goto app2 or hang?

0
John
5/13/2004 7:28:01 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <5%Poc.10359$Ob.497@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, John wrote:
> Will the client that goes to app1, always goto app1? how do I set the
> RR record to expire?

I don't see a way to do that.  Nor do I know what the default is.

> What happens if app1 is down, will the client goto app2 or hang?

Well, the DNS server won't have a clue as to which machines are up or
down, so it will give info as if all is well.  Beyond that, how the client
handles not being able to reach an address given to it would be determined
at the client side, not the DNS server.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

TIdHTTP and Round-robin DNS? [Edit] #2
The Indy that comes with Delphi XE8 doesn't seem to handle Round-robin DNS correctly? It always seem to use just the first address when I try TIdHTTP.Get(). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-robin_DNS Jani wrote: > The Indy that comes with Delphi XE8 doesn't seem to handle > Round-robin DNS correctly? Indy ignores round-robin DNS at this time, yes. > It always seem to use just the first address when I try TIdHTTP.Get(). That is correct. TIdCustomTCPClient.Connect() can currently only connect to one IP at a time. When the Host property is not an IP, Conne...

DNS 1 and DNS 2
So out of curiosity I'm looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page . Some times it's to a close port others not . Is this normal activity from my ISP ? Or something I should be worried about ? tia CYS Hemi wrote: > looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while > some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page. This is too vague to understand your question let alone answer it. Are you talking about a DSL or cable modem? Are you talking ab...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

dns-dhcp #2
HI all, Just done my new PC, and installed 491sp5, now my old pc still have the sp4 version of the client, and as far as i know the only deffirence between the 2, my college with sp5 has the same problem, only thing is his sometimes works , mine never..... that is that my dns/dhcp console is empty on the sp5 pc, all is 100% on the sp4 pc evevrytime.....now i am not sure if this is a client issue or dhcp issue?...but as far as i can tell the only deffirence is the client sp5 vs sp4?...can this be it?, and what to do? Kinbd Regards Thys -- tdebeer -------------------------...

DNS Round Robin
Can you do round robin DNS with Netware 6.5? AFAIK, it should work like 6.0 in which case it does it automatically when you assign multiple IP addresses to a single host name. bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

dns round-robin
We have an F5 load balancer that is using round robin algorithum for our two app servers. We want to get rid of the F5's and use internal DNS round robin... I'm assuming if i make two RR entries for the DNS entry it will work? Will the client that goes to app1, always goto app1? how do I set the RR record to expire? What happens if app1 is down, will the client goto app2 or hang? --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Yes, you can create a resource with multiple RR entries. Typi...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

2 DNS Server exchanging their DNS Information?
I've got two subnets. In each subnet there is netware dns server. no i want that both server exchange their information. s that i can ping from subnet A to a hostname in subnet B (I can ping from a subnet to the other, when i know the ip address of the hostname). on the DNS SERVER A i added in the forwarding list the ip address DNS SERVER B. Then i renewed my ip address an try to ping to subnet B. but this didn't work. What should I also change? sincerely M. Bernasconi In article <hQhmf.6814$ME5.5399@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Massimo Bernasconi wrote: &...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

Defending your DNS: best practices for reliable DNS and DHCP
Well-publicized attacks against Domain Name System (DNS) root servers and top-level domains highlight the vulnerability of the DNS infrastructure. Many CIOs are looking for ways to ensure secure, reliable network services. We've identified design principles and best practices for resilient, reliable Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and DNS services. DNS is the protocol and global network of servers that translate host names into Internet Protocol addresses. Before taking action, prioritize the risks to your network and identify the potential threats you may face. [ Rea...

Web resources about - DNS Round Robin #2 - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Round Top Branch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article may require copy editing for grammar, style, cohesion, tone, or spelling . You can assist by editing it . The Round Top Branch was ...

Nordic And Baltic Funding Rounds In November 2015
... by Funderbeam that discovers, tracks, and analyzes on startups. In our newsletter, we're sharing with you weekly stats of funding rounds in ...

UK’s POD Point Launches Innovative Investment & Crowdfunding Round
Originally published on EV Obsession. The UK-based electric vehicle charging station supplier POD Point is launching a new crowdfunding round ...

Mike's Blog Round Up
... the fix in? Beach Peanuts : Let's Talk Turkey: This Is Your Brain On GOP Lawyers Guns and Money : Underdeveloped Nations and the Left Round ...

Abbreviated Pundit Round-up: Post Thanksgiving state of play
One’s volatile, the other not so much. That’s the state of play with the primary polls, as per Huffington Post pollster which includes Morning ...

Sumner Redstone Wins Round One Of Competency & Health Care Agent Lawsuit
... his health care agent to be. “I find no urgency,” said Superior Court Judge Clifford Klein Monday. He cited no emergency and Redstone’s around ...

Rally 'round the family with Runbow and Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime
With Thanksgiving almost upon us, many of us here in the U.S. of A. are gearing up to navigate through social/emotional minefields that have ...

Jimmy Fallon and Rashida Jones Slay Another Round of Holiday Melodies
Jimmy Fallon and Rashida Jones Slay Another Round of Holiday Melodies

Hobby Lobby Owners Win First Round In $3 Million Tax Refund Case
Hobby Lobby became well known for its challenge to the contraceptive mandate under the Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) succeeding in carving ...

Charming insulated yurt cabins add round homes to the tiny house movement
Read the rest of Charming insulated yurt cabins add round homes to the tiny house movement