DNS name switching between Primary IP Address and Secondary Ip

I am running three Novell SBS 6.0 servers with our main server running

internal DNS and DHCP.  I have assigned an internal domain name to an
IP
address (192.xxx.xxx.22) bound to an internal server with only one net

card.  I have assigned a secondary IP address (192.xxx.xxx.23)to that
same
net card.  The internal domain name "abc.mydomain.com" can be pinged
at
the secondary ip address at some work stations and the primary ip
address
at the others.  What could be causing this to happen?  I want the
primary
address to be pinged at all times.

Just wondering,
Ken@rlmrlm.com

0
ken
1/30/2004 2:07:22 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

It sounds like the A record for the server in question has both
addresses associated with it?  If so, then DNS "round-robins" its
replies, handing out one address, then the other, etc. for each
request
for the record.  The reason workstations seem to be "stuck" on one or

the other is they've probably cached the initial reply they received,

and instead of asking for new resolution with each request, they just

reuse the cached info.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
1/30/2004 3:31:14 PM
> It sounds like the A record for the server in question has both
> addresses associated with it?  If so, then DNS "round-robins" its
> replies, handing out one address, then the other, etc. for each
request
> for the record.  The reason workstations seem to be "stuck" on one
or
> the other is they've probably cached the initial reply they
received,
> and instead of asking for new resolution with each request, they
just
> reuse the cached info.
>
> bd
> NSC Volunteer SysOp
> www.InsightNetSolutions.net

Thats what it was.  Thank you for your help.

Ken@rlmrlm.com

0
ken
1/30/2004 5:00:15 PM
No problem -- glad it was simple.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

Creating DNS Host name when DHCP IP Address is assigned
I have set the DHCP Up with a subnet The range type is "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP" DNS Update Options is "Always Update" Whe an IP address is assigned to the client and name gets put into the HOST Name portion of the IP Address Addressing TAB But no Host gets created in the DNS Server Whta do I need to do to make this happen Under Address type I see an option for Dynamic DHCP with Automatic Hostname generation thta gives the ability to fill in an auto host name starts with - is this what I need to use?? I have another network, its own tree and thi...

iMan 272 Login works with ip address or DNS Name not with Tree Name
I believe this error message has a long history. I am hoping to get lucky and be graced with a technical explanation (i.e. detail) as to the cause, from someone who knows the reasons why.... The message appears in the error log of our iManager 272 Servers (Hosted on NW6.5 Sp8 eDir 88. NW 6.5 SP8 was installed on eDir 88 so we are at eDir 88SP4). The text of the message also appears to the initiator of the failed authentication attempt aka user on the iManager browser login window. 09/03/09 [08:15:17.141] DirAuthenticator...1099 Login failed. The required dependencies were...

Configure all DNS names with IP Address
Hello, I�m using NW6 SP3. I try to install all DNS names with IP Adress. At the main portal appear link to all the services, iManager, iPrint, Remote Manager, NetStorage, Web Search, with this link (ex i Manager): http://srv1:2200/eMFrame/iManager.html i want define: http://192.168.2.1/eMFrame/iManager.html. etc/host have this entry: 192.168.2.1 srv1 etc/hostname have this entry 192.168.2.1 I don�t need enable DNS service. At the install process, it�s possible configure only IP Option? Post Installation i suppose need modify adminserv.conf and httpd.con...

Secondary IP address on DNS server
Hi, We recently moved over to Netware DNS. In order to catch any devices that still point to the old dns servers (now switched off) we bound that old dns server's IP address to the new Netware server and found that any workstations still pointing to that address were able to resolve hostnames and perform nslookups. I'm not quite clear on what if anything I had to do to get this working, except to reload named. We recently upgraded to NW6.5 SP1, and now we find this secondary ip address function isn't working. If I configure any workstation (NT 4) to use this secondary ...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the already existing records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rileymartin, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following opti...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the DNS records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ novell.support.netware.dns-dhcp is where I would try if you don't get a good answer here............... -- Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Suggestion...

Seting up a Secondary DNS server with altered IP addresses
Hi Guys Just checking if it's possible. We have a wireless net set up on a DMZ. I need to direct a specific dns entry to another IP than on the internet. Instead of setting up an extra DNS, that also needs maintenance, I was wondering if Novell's DNS server would allow me to make it secondary, and just have the single entry pointing to another IP, than on the primary? It should still use the primary for all other requests concerning the domain. Also, will I be able to run it in the same tree as the internal DNS, or will it require a seperate tree? -- /Fribse ...

dns name of middle tier reverts to ip address
I have installed the Zenworks for Desktop Management Agent on W2K and XP workstations. On the General Settings page, I enter the DNS name of the Middle Tier server. However, after installation I see that in all locations - the Network Identity screen in the Control Panel, and the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Novell\ZENworks\MiddleTierAddress all point to the IP address of the server instead of the DNS name. This is a problem for me, since the reason for my entering the DNS name instead of the IP address, is that if my Middle Tier server goes down, I can ...

DNS/DHCP Managment Console- IP Addresses not releasing
Hello, I have added a new subnet on our network so we can add more wireless devices (iPads, Cellphones, etc. are all now needing IP addresses) Everything is working fine except that the addresses are not releasing after 3 days. If someone with a Laptop comes into our building with a cell phone or laptop they are picking up an IP address automatically. Then once they leave (and the 3 day lease time expires) DNS/DHCP is not making that address available for another device. Now we are quickly running out of local IP addresses on this new subnet. How can I get DNS/DHCP manageme...

SSL Certificate IP-Address / DNS-Name Mismatch
Whenever I start novell-remote-manager (from nw6.0-sp4) I get the message (Firefox-Browser), that the certificate was generated by 192.168.6.1, but ssl-connection is due to be established with srv-comm. etc.. srv-comm has IP 192.168.6.1, so everything is ok. How do I change or correct that certificate to avoid that error in future? Sincerely Karl , > Whenever I start novell-remote-manager (from nw6.0-sp4) I > get the message (Firefox-Browser), that the certificate was > generated by 192.168.6.1, but ssl-connection is due to be > established with srv-comm. etc.. ...

DNS name in netware remote manager instead of IP
Hey all. This isn't a problem per se; things still work. I'm just curious. I have four server and whenever I go to the managed server list part of NRM it shows all other three but when I click on them it populates the search bar with the dns: i.e. gw7x.ctcommunications.com instead of it's IP. As soon as I do the IP and port 8008 it works. Just curious, thanks Mark, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you migh...

Is @mozilla.org/network/dns-service limited to IP address (A-type) DNS queries?
I'd like to query some DNS-based services from a Firefox extension. There are a number of spam filters and such which create special DNS entries that can be queried. Here's a list of spam databases which can be queried via DNS: http://www.declude.com/Articles.asp?ID=97 For some of these, the client needs to retrieve a DNS "TXT" record, rather than the more common "A" record. There are also situations when you might want an "MX" record, for mail. Encryption keys and reverse DNS information are also stored in DNs records. Can that infor...

Web resources about - DNS name switching between Primary IP Address and Secondary Ip - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Party switching in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
In the United States politics, party switching is any change in party affiliation of a partisan public figure, usually one who is currently holding ...

Vevo doubles registered user count since switching to Facebook-only login; CEO hints at further integration ...
Music video service Vevo has doubled its total registered users as a result of switching to Facebook-only login and adding more personalized ...

Twitter Blog: Switching to OAuth
Twitter Blog Switching to OAuth 7780065524482288942 Friday, June 11, 2010 The majority of Tweets are sent or read on applications built by the ...

Switching from the Chicago Card to Ventra - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Transferring value from my Chicago Card to Ventra, during which they confiscated the card. Odd.

Switching, Shifting and 'Secret Switching' For Clear Eyesight at All Distances - YouTube
Method to help people improve their eyesight, often quickly. Created for our Community GuestPage. (Do this without eyeglasses; no glasses, no ...

James Segeyaro switching allegiances to boost Queensland selection chances
Penrith hooker James Segeyaro is planning to change his nation of allegiance in order to be eligible for Queensland selection.

DataRoom AM: Switching off Ten
Foxtel has reportedly abandoned plans for a joint bid for Ten Network, while Bendigo and Adelaide Bank is in no rush to pursue any major mergers. ...

Switching on climate control
For many climate change sceptics, it was a case of "good riddance'' to Tim Flannery and his fellow Climate Commissioners.

How to avoid legal hassles when switching cloud vendors
Barry Porozni recently discovered a critical omission in a company contract with a software-as-a-service vendor: There was no clause to cover ...

Sorry, But The Magnetic Poles Switching Places Won't Create Planetary Superstorms
The latest crazy doomsday theory is upon us, and unlike the two suns story, there isn’t even really a grain of truth behind this one. This new ...