DNS Forwarders to Microsoft DNS

We have 80% of our network on Novell Netware and use DHCP and DNS on
Novell servers.

Recently there have been implementations of Microsoft Active Directory

installations and we were told that Microsoft does not support Novell
DNS
and we are therefore having to keep a Microsoft DNS.

I have set a forwarder on my DNS server that points to the IP address
of
my Windows 2003 server and thought that if the Novell DNS could not
reply
it would be forwarded to the Win2003 DNS, it isn't working though, any

ideas?

Mark

0
mark
12/29/2003 12:27:10 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

We have 4 Novell DNS servers and I have just noticed that it works if
set my client to go to one of the other DNS servers. It just fails on
1
server. I can't find anything different except for the fact that the
server failing is the Dynamic DNS server.

I also tried changing the failing server so it forwards its requests
one that does work. It still fails.

Any ideas?

Mark

0
mark
12/29/2003 1:04:49 PM
If you've configured the same zone name(s) on both Novell and AD, and

the Novell server(s) are authoritative for the domain(s), this would
explain what you're seeing, since no DNS server will ever forward
requests for a domain it is authoritative for.  If that doesn't
explain
it, more detail from you is needed, i.e. specific domain names, and
specific examples of what is not working.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad
12/29/2003 2:15:45 PM
AD uses its DNS to resolve all requests for names, addresses, rights,
etc.
This compares with NDS / eDir, which uses its own database which is
compliant with LDAP and allows you to use any DNS.  Another reason to
distrust the Darkside.

At least w/ W2K, AD requires a M$ DNS server to run.  In addition, all
DNS
needs to be done thru that M$ DNS server, otherwise it will run
horribly
slow.  The best you can do is to blow away the "dot" root in M$ and
have it
forward to the Novell DNS, which will then forward to any DNS server
you
want.

Tim Wohlford

<mark.smith@nottinghamcity.gov.uk> wrote in message
> We have 80% of our network on Novell Netware and use DHCP and DNS on

> Novell servers.
>
> Recently there have been implementations of Microsoft Active
Directory
> installations and we were told that Microsoft does not support
Novell DNS
> and we are therefore having to keep a Microsoft DNS.
>
> I have set a forwarder on my DNS server that points to the IP
address of
> my Windows 2003 server and thought that if the Novell DNS could not
reply
> it would be forwarded to the Win2003 DNS, it isn't working though,
any
> ideas?
>
> Mark

0
Tim

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

DNS Forwarders linked to DNS Lookup.
When I change the Forwarders section in the DNS server config it overwrites the DNS Lookup values in my Network Settings config for the ethernet card, and when I change the DNS Lookup back in Network Settings it changes the DNS server Forwarders settings. Am I missing something? One should be where the DNS server goes to resolve information it can't resolve on its own, and one should be where applications get there name lookups resolved. Why are these values linking and how do I unlink them? Applications should use local DNS servers for name resolution so they can find local ...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

DNS forwarding to 'unknown' DNS server/
We are netware 5.1. I have 2 DNS server, both are configured with a forward address. On our firewall, i have seen that my dns servers are making request (sometimes) to others serves. Some address are in the rootserverinfo (m.roots-erver, ...) and other names like blackhole-1.iana.org. I don't understand why it looks for m.roots-server ... because my forwardings are configured and why it looks for black.... Are you sure those requests are from your DNS server and not from workstations on your network? You might download DBGLOG.EXE -- with it you can record the NAME...

DNS forwarding to Windows DNS & External ISP
Hello, Here is my situation : I have my corporate Netware 6 (sp5) DNS servers in zone A.corpo I also have a dept. Win 2k3 DNS server in zone B.local. A -I need the workstations in B.local to access the ones in A.corpo. B -I need the workstations in A.corpo to access the ones in B.corpo. C -All other queries need to go to ext. ISP. My actual config : A - Successfully configured the Win2k3 server to forward all queries for A.corpo to the ip address of my Netware DNS servers (I can forward to a zone ). C - I already have the ip address of my external DNS servers in the f...

Defending your DNS: best practices for reliable DNS and DHCP
Well-publicized attacks against Domain Name System (DNS) root servers and top-level domains highlight the vulnerability of the DNS infrastructure. Many CIOs are looking for ways to ensure secure, reliable network services. We've identified design principles and best practices for resilient, reliable Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and DNS services. DNS is the protocol and global network of servers that translate host names into Internet Protocol addresses. Before taking action, prioritize the risks to your network and identify the potential threats you may face. [ Rea...

DNS 1 and DNS 2
So out of curiosity I'm looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page . Some times it's to a close port others not . Is this normal activity from my ISP ? Or something I should be worried about ? tia CYS Hemi wrote: > looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while > some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page. This is too vague to understand your question let alone answer it. Are you talking about a DSL or cable modem? Are you talking ab...

Question about DNS about DNS over VPN
Hi, we have got a problem (probabliy we misunderstood something) with the VPN - Client. When I login with the VPN-Client, where can I set the DNS-Context (Search Context) which will be passed to the Client? I can not find any settings at the VPN Definitions. Thanks in advance Reg. Thomas Thomas, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http...

Web resources about - DNS Forwarders to Microsoft DNS - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Freight forwarder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Forwarders contract with a carrier to move the goods. A forwarder does not move the goods but acts as an expert in supply chain management . ...

Notes on setting up an ELK stack and logstash-forwarder
... when I revisit it next. Some notes: Used Jeff Geerling's ansible-role-logstash for the main setup of the ELK server I have Used logstash-forwarder ...

Google search results have a forwarder between results list and actual URL? - Google Product Forums
Unfortunately, this means that when I try to click "back" to get back to my list of results, I cannot - I keep getting stuck on this forwarding ...

Page Forwarder Sends You to Web Pages You've Been Meaning to Read
... why not take that productivity tip up a notch? Instead of simply blocking a site, use that time to catch up on your reading list. Page Forwarder ...

Freight forwarder advises colleagues to support fight against sub-standard products
The founder, National Association of Government Approved Freight Forwarders (NAGAFF), Dr. Boniface Aniebonam, has advised freight forwarders, ...

Japanese air freight forwarders fined $18.9M for price-fixing
Two Japanese air freight forwarding companies agreed Friday to plead guilty and pay $18.9 million in criminal fines in a conspiracy to fix air ...

Singapore fines Japanese freight forwarders for price fixing
Singapore fines Japanese freight forwarders for price fixing

Japanese air freight forwarders fined $18.9M for price-fixing
Two Japanese air freight forwarding companies agreed Friday to plead guilty and pay $18.9 million in criminal fines in a conspiracy to fix air ...

Japanese freight forwarders to pay $18.9 mil. for price-rigging
Japanese freight forwarders to pay $18.9 mil.