DNS/DHCP question

I've got a mixed bag here with Windows AD and NDS. the Windows group insists that AD functions best with a Windows DNS, so we set up our network accordingly.

my question is this. I still want to run DHCP from the NDS side. if I do that, is it necessary to also have a DNS service in the tree? I tried removing it and got messages on my DHCP console about trying to connect to the IP of the NW server that last ran DNS followed by RoconstructConnection failed, etc. and DHCP wouldn't work. I re-added the service to the DHCP server and everything seems OK.

Mike O'Shea
ElectriCities of NC, Inc.
1427 Meadowwood Blvd.
Raleigh, NC  27604

moshea@electricities.org
0
Mike
1/8/2005 1:54:28 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <oCRDd.17928$Ei5.8034@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Mike O'Shea wrote:
> is it necessary to also have a DNS service in the tree?

No.

> I tried removing it and got messages on my DHCP console about trying to connect to the IP
of the NW server that last ran DNS

It sounds like you have DDNS enabled.  In the DHCP config, remove the Subnet setting for
"DNS ZOne for Dynamic Update" and set the SAR to "No Update".

> I re-added the service to the DHCP server and everything seems OK.

???  Exactly what did you do there?  Was it the opposite of one of the above steps?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
1/8/2005 5:05:33 PM
No you do not have to RUN DNS on the NetWare side.  DNS and DHCP are
one product so both are installed.  This does not mean you have to load
it.

You can just load DHCP and go with it.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Novell Support Forum Volunteer Sysop

sorry for the confusion,

I meant that I put the DNS service back up and loaded the named.nlm on the =
DHCP server.

your suggestion for disabling DDNS did the trick. everything's running =
smoothly

by the way, is there a configuration TID or manual anywhere for setting up =
a NetWare DNS that will work and play well with AD? it seems that whenever =
I tried to set it up, something was missing somewhere that caused login =
and authentication problems between the AD domain and workstations/users. =
all I could get from MS was 'Install DNS in the AD domain'

Mike O'Shea
ElectriCities of NC, Inc.
1427 Meadowwood Blvd.
Raleigh, NC  27604

moshea@electricities.org

wrote:
> is it necessary to also have a DNS service in the tree?

No.

> I tried removing it and got messages on my DHCP console about trying to =
connect to the IP=20
of the NW server that last ran DNS

It sounds like you have DDNS enabled.  In the DHCP config, remove the =
Subnet setting for=20