DNS/DHCP best practice

When we first got our servers up and running here we were Netware only.
Over the years we've added a Windows server and several Linux servers
(none SuSE unfortunatley).  At this point we ocassionally get some DNS
issues (slow lookups, servers not talking to each other, etc).  And now
(from a previous thread about 5 below this one) NAMED isn't working
quite right.  So I'm trying to figure out if its time to scrap our
exisitng DNS and start over or if its fixiable and just needs some major
tweeking to get everyone happy.  So first off:
1.  Which is the easier utility to use:  iManager for DNS or the older
DNSDHCP utility?

2.  Should I have my firewall set as the DNS master and just have all
my internal servers pointing to it and turn off DNS request forwarding?

or
3.  Should I have my <shudder> Windows server as the primary and have
my NetWare servers pointing to it?

4.  Or is there a good way of cleaning up the NetWare DNS and just
leave Windows server the way it is?

Our network is pretty simple except for the fact that our main domain
is hosted off-site and we have a different domain we use for internal
traffic.  So maybe its just me needing to brush up on how to set up the
exceptions (FTP, internal webmail, etc.)?

Any and all help is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks!
-Josh

--
megladon88

megladon88
2/27/2009 6:06:03 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <megladon88.3oa3c0@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Megladon88 wrote:
> 1.  Which is the easier utility to use:  iManager for DNS or the older
> DNSDHCP utility?

DNSDHCP utility.

> 2.  Should I have my firewall set as the DNS master and just have all
> my internal servers pointing to it and turn off DNS request forwarding?

I prefer not to have a firewall set up as a DNS server, but instead have
internal servers set up as DNS.   If you have BMgr as the firewall, you
can configure DNS proxy on it, and point it to the internal DNS servers.
In any case, configure the DNS servers to forward to the ISP's DNS
servers.

> Or
> 3.  Should I have my <shudder> Windows server as the primary and have
> my NetWare servers pointing to it?

You can have Windows as a master or NetWare.  Doesn't really matter, but
it's easier to set up all NetWare or all Windows I think.

I cover this in a new book I'm writing on DHCP, DNS and Web Servers on
Windows, Linux and NetWare...

> 4.  Or is there a good way of cleaning up the NetWare DNS and just
> leave Windows server the way it is?

Really, it should be simple to configure DNS on NetWare.  (Also on
Windows, for that matter).  I'd just work with the DNS/DHCP utility to
configure things.

> Our network is pretty simple except for the fact that our main domain
> is hosted off-site and we have a different domain we use for internal
> traffic.  So maybe its just me needing to brush up on how to set up the
> exceptions (FTP, internal webmail, etc.)?

You could configure the internal DNS servers to be authoritative for both
domains, though I'm not sure it gains you anything if there are no
internal addresses for the one domain.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
www.craigjconsulting.com

0
Craig
2/28/2009 8:19:17 AM
thank you for the responses!  I'll be sorting through it this afternoon.
When's your book come out?  It'll definitely be one I pick up.

Thank you!

--
megladon88
megladon88's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=5555

0
megladon88
3/2/2009 7:46:02 PM
In article <megladon88.3ofryp@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Megladon88 wrote:
> thank you for the responses!  I'll be sorting through it this afternoon.
> When's your book come out?  It'll definitely be one I pick up

Hard to say when I can get it out.  I was trying for the end of January
before I went on a lot of travel, but I didn't feel it was ready yet.
Since Jan 31 I've been out of the country for all but 5 days, until March
30.  Then I will start back on it and hope to have it ready for release by
end of April.

Keep an eye on my website, url below.

Craig Johnson
Novell Support Connection SysOp
www.craigjconsulting.com

0
Craig

Defending your DNS: best practices for reliable DNS and DHCP
Well-publicized attacks against Domain Name System (DNS) root servers and top-level domains highlight the vulnerability of the DNS infrastructure. Many CIOs are looking for ways to ensure secure, reliable network services. We've identified design principles and best practices for resilient, reliable Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and DNS services. DNS is the protocol and global network of servers that translate host names into Internet Protocol addresses. Before taking action, prioritize the risks to your network and identify the potential threats you may face. [ Rea...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP/DNS console
It is an oddity. In one of my subnets at another building, if I run DNS/DHCP Console, I can see both DHCP servers in the one tree. I can also manage and edit them. If I am in the other building (separate subnet), if I run DNS/DHCP Console, it does not recognize any DHCP servers. DHCP is working in both buildings but I currently need to be in the other subnet to manage them. These trees were merged and the second DHCP server reconfigured. Servers are running NW6 SP5 patched up to current levels. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Steve D. In article <SjUNg.2618$...

What is the best DNS/DHCP Book
--____THGSIAOIDUBNJPDBSAPS____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Sat, 21 Jul 2006 08:11:43 -0400" I have an understanding of dns/dhcp but a novice level. I want to = understand how to configure and properly use dns dhcp better and I would = like to be pointed in the right direction. Specifically how it pertains = to Novell. Jon Street Network Administrator Greater Johnstown School District CNE, ASE, CCA, A+ 518-762-5972 --____THGSIAOIDUBNJPDBSAPS____ Content-...

Dns/DHCP Netware upgrade
Hi, We have two 5.1sp6 servers running DNS and DHCP services. We want to move these 2 services to two new servers running Netware 6.5sp1a. What is the best way to do this? Is there something special to do, take care? Thank you --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable If they are in the same tree, then you really don't have to worry about = much at all (create the new server objects, make sure that any routers = doing BOOTP forwarding are setup for the new servers, then move the = s...

Netware to OES2 DNS/DHCP
I'm about to migrate my two dns/dhcp servers from Netware 6.5.8 to OES2 Linux 64bit machines. I have two questions about the process. 1. I've not migrated a Netware host to a OES2 host yet. I understand it's possible to do an ID tranfser to the OES2 box to keep the servername, ID etc Is this correct? 2. and more appropriate for this forum, DNS/DHCP. Can I run DNS/DHCP on both Netware and OES2 while I upgrade both machines, I will I need to have only one server running these services during the upgrade process? I'll need a couple of days to complete the above...

SLES DNS and NetWare DHCP
We have had DHCP running on NetWare for some time, with no local DNS service. The DHCP option 6 is set to a BorderManager DNS proxy. I just set up a SLES 11 server with named, and it will resolve our local static IP addresses and forward to OpenDNS. I am using it now, and it seems to be working correctly. Next step, can I set the NetWare DHCP server to update the SLES DNS server, or would I be better off setting up DHCP on the SLES server? My main concerns are transitioning to the SLES server without disruption, and getting Option 60 for ZFD PXE boot set up correctly. ...

Netware DHCP to SunOne DNS
Currently we are using Netware for DHCP. Our goal is to start leveraging our DHCP setup to start registering and updating our existing DNS Servers running Sun's DNS. What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? Thanks In article <5olcg.958$Mr.939@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Ted wrote: > What is the best way to go about getting this going and is it necessary > to also run Netware's DNS as an in between for this setup? > Yes, Novell's DHCP server can only upd...

Windows DHCP
Hi All, We replaced some NW servers running DHCP with server 2003 boxes runnning DHCP. We configured them the same as far as address ranges, dns server addresses, etc. The problem is that the workstations which get addresses from the Server 2003 boxes will NOT register their PTR or A records on our Netware 6.5 SP5 DNS box. Is this a hopeless cause or is there some way to make this work? John Morgan -- Jmorg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ In article <Jmorg.3l7f2n@no-mx.forums.novell.com>, Jmorg wrote: > The pro...

DHCP/DNS
I am running Novell 5.0 Server conneted with 10 Windows XP platorm. I try to install the DHCP/DNS Management Console from the workstation as administratior. It tells me that there was an error on NDS object..sth like that. Please tell me the steps to install DHCP/DNS or how to resolve the problem. Brad, you'll need this update: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2966055.htm -- Hamish Speirs Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop. http://haitch.net (Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will probably be ig...

DNS/DHCP
When I first installed NW5.0 the DNS-DHCP locator object was placed in the Root Container. After reading the Novell DNS/DHCP Services Admin Guide for NDS7 it wrote that I should create a new container under root for the DNS-DHCP locator object. So I looked up how to move this object on the knowledgebase and found TID 10061077 dated 08-MAY-2003. I understand everthing in this TID except step (2) it says to type DNIPINST -f at the console prompt should it not be DNIPINST -r ? Since we are removing the locator object ? Thanks Roch Lachapelle Roch, Yes you ar...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

Web resources about - DNS/DHCP best practice - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Admission to practice law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
An admission to practice law , also called admission to the bar in some jurisdictions, is acquired when a lawyer receives a license to practice ...

5 Signs You’re Not Ready To Open A Solo Practice
To be successful in opening your solo practice requires you to be brutally honest with yourself. Are you ready?

Best Practices: How to Keep Users Engaged With Your Mobile App
So, you've had success getting people to download your mobile app. Congrats! We know it's not easy. But now comes the even harder part: How do ...

UConn Confident After Final St. Pete Bowl Practice
... have been practicing all week at an impressive clip. There were a couple of snags at the end of Thursday's edition, but UConn's final practice ...

Learning to build apps is like anything else — it takes practice
These days, coding for mobile is one of the most valuable professional skills you can acquire. If you want in on the action but didn’t spend ...

NCAA Rules Mean Alabama Gets Unlimited Practice Time, Clemson To Be Limited
NCAA Rules Mean Alabama Gets Unlimited Practice Time, Clemson To Be Limited

Zach LaVine Got Some Early Dunk Contest Practice In Against The Bucks
... lost last night, as they’ve done a lot of lately, but reigning dunk champion Zach LaVine showed why he won last year, and got some early practice ...

Compuware Pushes Mainframe Agile DevOps Practices
Compuware pursues integrations with Splunk, Atlassian, SonarSource, AppDynamics and Jenkins, and buys ISPW to bring agility to the mainframe. ...

Best Healthcare Benefit Practices for a Growing Company With Multiple Locations
An important part of culture and values for many emerging businesses has been the benefit package they provide for the team. For many businesses, ...

Best Practices For Managing CX Via B2B Partner Networks
While much of the glitz and glam around customer experience has orbited around B2C organizations, Forrester believes that the imperative shift ...