Creating DNS Host name when DHCP IP Address is assigned

I have set the DHCP Up with a subnet

The range type is  "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP"

DNS Update Options is "Always Update"

Whe an IP address is assigned to the client and name gets put into the

 HOST Name portion of the IP Address Addressing TAB
But no Host gets created in the  DNS Server

Whta do I need to do to make this happen

Under Address type I see an option for Dynamic DHCP with Automatic
Hostname generation thta gives the ability
to  fill in an auto host name starts with - is this what I need to
use??

I have another network, its own tree and this specif option is not
avalable - Why

0
Pete
6/30/2003 3:14:03 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

You have to have created the in-addr.arpa domain already so that when
the =
DHCP server hands out and address and gets the host name it doesn't
add =
the hostname into your DNS domain, it simply adds the PTR record in
the =
in-addr.arpa domain and appends your domain name to the hostname that
the =
DHCP Client gives the DHCP server, which then AUTOMATICALLY creates
the =
DNS record.

Refer to the following document from Novell:
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10014557.htm

>>> Pete Watters<petew@csmicorp.com> 2003-06-30 09:14:03 >>>

I have set the DHCP Up with a subnet

The range type is  "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP"

DNS Update Options is "Always Update"

Whe an IP address is assigned to the client and name gets put into
the=20
HOST Name portion of the IP Address Addressing TAB
But no Host gets created in the  DNS Server

Whta do I need to do to make this happen

Under Address type I see an option for Dynamic DHCP with Automatic=20
Hostname generation thta gives the ability
to  fill in an auto host name starts with - is this what I need to
use??

I have another network, its own tree and this specif option is not=20
avalable - Why

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____

<HTML><HEAD>
<META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html;
charset=3Diso-8859-1"=

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1170" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Courier New">
<DIV>You have to have created the in-addr.arpa domain already so that
when =
the DHCP server hands out and address and gets the host name it
doesn't =
add the hostname into your DNS domain, it simply adds the PTR record
in =
the in-addr.arpa domain and appends your domain name to the hostname
that =
the DHCP Client gives the DHCP server, which then AUTOMATICALLY
creates =
the DNS record.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Refer to the following document from Novell:</DIV>
<DIV><A
href=3D"http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/100=
14557.htm">http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10014557=

..htm</A><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Pete Watters&lt;petew@csmicorp.com&gt; =

2003-06-30 09:14:03 &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"COLOR: #000000">I have set the DHCP Up with a
subnet<BR><BR>T=
he range type is&nbsp; "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP"<BR><BR>DNS Update
Options =
is "Always Update"<BR><BR>Whe an IP address is assigned to the client
and =
name gets put into the <BR>HOST Name portion of the IP Address
Addressing =
TAB<BR>But no Host gets created in the&nbsp; DNS Server<BR><BR>Whta do
I =
need to do to make this happen<BR><BR>Under Address type I see an
option =
for Dynamic DHCP with Automatic <BR>Hostname generation thta gives the
=
ability<BR>to&nbsp; fill in an auto host name starts with - is this
what I =
need to use??<BR><BR>I have another network, its own tree and this
specif =
option is not <BR>avalable - Why<BR><BR><BR><BR></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____--

--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____--

There are 4 pieces you need to make this work, and you and SKye have
covered 3 of them...

1. The range type is  "Dynamic BOOTP and DHCP"
2. DNS Update Options is "Always Update"
3. You have to have created the in-addr.arpa domain (or zone, as it's

also referred to) already

...and the missing piece is...

4. On the DNS side, you need to set Dynamic DNS Server for your zone.

If any one of the above is missing or misconfigured, DDNS will not
work.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp
www.InsightNetSolutions.net

0
Brad

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

HOWTO
I am preparing a plan to deploy NDPS printers, and as part of this plan we need to create static IP addresses for the printers. What I would like to do ideally is to turn the printer on, let it obtain an address, and then mark it as permanent. However, my system administrator wants to restrict printers to a range of 10.2.5.x. Using the management console, I can't see any option for marking an address as permanent, or for taking an already assigned address and changing it to a different one. I can see how to create a manual address, and that is probably the option that we will ne...

DHCP Questions ... Primary DNS Suffix and Bug in DHCP/DNS Utility
I have been reconfiguring our Novell 5.1 SP4 DHCP/DNS server to pass NDS Server, Tree, and Context information through DHCP. I would like to specify the Primary Domain suffix for Windows 2000 workstations. Currently, we manually enter a suffix domain name under the TCP/IP properties, but IT staff sometime forget to perform this step. Any help would be appreciated. Also, the DHCP/DNS Utility appears to have a display bug. The Directory Agent (Code 78) has been specified in my DHCP settings, but no value is displayed unless I click on the Modify button. We are running ...

DHCP Manual assigned ip did not register into DNS
we have configured manual ip adresses in the dhcp server, we want do use dns too, we configured it, but the manual ip adresses did not updated into DNS, we have a small dynamic dhcpaddress range, that works fine with DNS, but not the static one... netware 6.5 sp5 , nw65os5a.exe 2973639 / n65nss5a.exe 2973412 / any ideas helge privacy@my.world.com wrote: > we have configured manual ip adresses in the dhcp server, we want do use > dns too, we configured it, but the manual ip adresses did not updated into > DNS, we have a small dynamic dhcpaddress range, tha...

DNS and DHCP sync ? cannot ping by host name.
Dear all, Greetings! I have setup opensuse 11.1 as my dns,and dhcp server for my internal lan. My network consists of 2 windows xp, and one opensuse 11.1 client. All of these clients get their ip addresses from dhcp server. I can ping any of the clients from any other clients or dns server by ip, But not by machine name. If I add the A records for the network clients(after assigning static ips), they could be pinged by any client. :\ I guess this is not the right way. Am i missing the link between dhcp server and dns server services? I am producing the named.conf, forw...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the DNS records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ novell.support.netware.dns-dhcp is where I would try if you don't get a good answer here............... -- Craig Wilson - MCNE, MCSE, CCNA Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop Novell does not officially monitor these forums. Suggestion...

Import IP Address/Host names into DNS
Hi, How would I go about importing a large list of DNS updates into DNS? Has anyone ever done this successfully without causing any issues with the already existing records already stored in DNS? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Riley -- rileymartin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ rileymartin, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following opti...

Making Hosts in Java DNS/DHCP for Static IP
I found that the TIDs are lacking. Here is the solution. If you use the new JAVA DNS/DHCP application (which is found on a server (SUSE SLES w/ OES2 ). Go http://YourServerIpAddress Select DNSDHCP Java Console unless your pc is a 64bit version of XP or Vista then choose the next one. Install it. Also be sure you have the ristry patch from TID 3057926. PS: Make a file name like a.reg the add the two lines exactly as written. This will save you from 890 errors with SLP which I serve through DHCP. Anyway: When you create a host inside the subnet. You give it its' MAC address....

DNS/DHCP Managment Console- IP Addresses not releasing
Hello, I have added a new subnet on our network so we can add more wireless devices (iPads, Cellphones, etc. are all now needing IP addresses) Everything is working fine except that the addresses are not releasing after 3 days. If someone with a Laptop comes into our building with a cell phone or laptop they are picking up an IP address automatically. Then once they leave (and the 3 day lease time expires) DNS/DHCP is not making that address available for another device. Now we are quickly running out of local IP addresses on this new subnet. How can I get DNS/DHCP manageme...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

DHCP assigning the same IP Address to Mutiple Mac Addresses
Is it possible in DHCP to assign the same IP Address to multiple Mac Addresses, ie. a laptop docked using the docking station NIC and a laptop undocked using the built-in NIC I have an application that checks security based on the IP-address that is assigned to the user. thanks, Chris Chris, AFAIK this isn�t possible. You have to add two different manual assignments to the nics. Joerg Joerg is correct, although you may be able to use a MAC Address override so that the machine has the same MAC address regardless of how it is connected. Check your OS d...

DNS name switching between Primary IP Address and Secondary Ip
I am running three Novell SBS 6.0 servers with our main server running internal DNS and DHCP. I have assigned an internal domain name to an IP address (192.xxx.xxx.22) bound to an internal server with only one net card. I have assigned a secondary IP address (192.xxx.xxx.23)to that same net card. The internal domain name "abc.mydomain.com" can be pinged at the secondary ip address at some work stations and the primary ip address at the others. What could be causing this to happen? I want the primary address to be pinged at all times. Just wondering, Ken@...

DHCP/DNS console
It is an oddity. In one of my subnets at another building, if I run DNS/DHCP Console, I can see both DHCP servers in the one tree. I can also manage and edit them. If I am in the other building (separate subnet), if I run DNS/DHCP Console, it does not recognize any DHCP servers. DHCP is working in both buildings but I currently need to be in the other subnet to manage them. These trees were merged and the second DHCP server reconfigured. Servers are running NW6 SP5 patched up to current levels. Any ideas on how I can fix this? Steve D. In article <SjUNg.2618$...

Web resources about - Creating DNS Host name when DHCP IP Address is assigned - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Londonistan: How Britain is Creating a Terror State Within - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The book encompasses a critique of multiculturalism , alleged weak policing, cultural relativism , and what Phillips calls a 'victim culture'. ...

Facebook’s Matt Kelly Describes Process Of Creating Plugin For WordPress
The plugin for WordPress launched by Facebook in June has been downloaded more than 180,000 times, and Engineer, Developer Relations Matt Kelly ...

Creating Online Ads that Drive Brand Awareness
New research shows how the creative elements of online ads impact brand awareness.

Bug - Creating a Video.Watches Action stopped working - Facebook-Entwickler
Since today executing a POST on a me/video.wacthes endpoints no longer works, it was working around 10 hours ago since then the call always returns ...

Facebook Creating Fourth-Party Privacy Rules for Facebook Connect Widget & Plugin Developers
In a recently-written post on the Facebook Developers Wiki, Facebook had added new rules for information sharing between websites that have implemented ...

The Obama campaign won by creating their own Facebook, with unique features for political campaigns.
... seen as too dangerous to nominate someone who is so thoroughly narcissistic, arrogant and dishonest. The Obama campaign won basically by creating ...

Creating A Great Startup Culture
... with any Bay Area startup these days (ping pong, beer on tap, catered lunches and Macbook Airs) – though these things are, of course, Creating ...

WIRED Creating the Nebula for iPad on the iTunes App Store
Get WIRED Creating the Nebula on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

Nets of freedom creating mesh networks 03.07.2013 - Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Explore Strelka Institute photo's photos on Flickr. Strelka Institute photo has uploaded 14526 photos to Flickr.

Creating the incorrigible Cartman - YouTube
"South Park" creators Trey Parker and Matt Stone were big fans of "All in the Family," a 1970s CBS sitcom. Perhaps this is why their most incorrigible ...