2 DNS Server exchanging their DNS Information?

I've got two subnets. In each subnet there is netware dns server. no i want
that both server exchange their information. s that i can ping from subnet
A to a hostname in subnet B (I can ping from a subnet to the other, when i
know the ip address of the hostname). on the DNS SERVER A i added in the
forwarding list the ip address DNS SERVER B. Then i renewed my ip address
an try to ping to subnet B. but this didn't work.

What should I also change?

sincerely
M. Bernasconi
0
Massimo
12/9/2005 3:58:05 PM
novell.netware.dns-dhcp 3183 articles. 0 followers. Follow

In article <hQhmf.6814$ME5.5399@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, Massimo
Bernasconi wrote:
> I've got two subnets. In each subnet there is netware dns server.

Are these DNS servers in the same NDS tree?

What versions of NW are they running?  Service pack level?  NAMED.NLM
version?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/10/2005 7:04:17 PM
Hello Brad

I knew you would answer. Thank you!

uuff..considering your question it looks like difficult thing. so here are
the Information:

Server2: NW 6.0 SP5 / eDir 8.7.3 / named.nlm 5.12.06 (11 may 04)
Server3: NW 6.5 (OES) SP4a / eDir 8.7.3 / named.nlm 6.04.13 (6 june 05)

My knowledge about DNS is not wide. but if I remember correctly dns server
can exchange their information. it doesn't have to be the same dns server.

sincerely
massimo bernasconi

In article <ZDhnf.8449$ME5.763@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>, M.bernasconi
wrote:
> considering your question it looks like difficult thing.

Not necessarily, but we still need to know if the servers are in the same
NDS tree.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/13/2005 2:47:27 PM
oh sorry. no they aren't in the same tree!

sincerely
m. bernasconi
In article <a8Rnf.10111$ME5.193@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
M.bernasconi wrote:
> oh sorry. no they aren't in the same tree!

OK, good.  What you need to do then is configure each server as Primary
for its own local zone, and then as Secondary for the other server's
zone.  Then instead of forwarding to each other, forward to your ISP's
DNS servers as appropriate for each location.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/15/2005 4:46:03 AM
Hello Brad!

Thank you for your reply. But it didn't worked.

I created for Server A a secondary Zone with the same name that I use in
Server B. As DNS Server for this secondary Zone I put in the IP-Address of
the Server B. Then i created a secondary IN-ADDR.ARP zone for the IP Subnet
of Server B. I did the same thing just reverse on Server B.

a ping in the in the secondary doesn't work. and there aren't any entries
in the secondary zone.

so what did i forgot?

sincerely
m.bernasconi
so i forgot to chose the designated dns server by creating the new zone.
the in.addr-arp zone aren't needed!

Now it's just working on the SERVER3. I can ping from this subnet into the
subnet of SERVER2. That's how it should be.

But on SERVER2 it doesn't work. I did the same thing as I did with SERVER3.
 After restarting the named with paramater -zi <zonename>. I receive
following error message on the verbose screen of named:
Zov: no NS record found for <zonename>

The NS record is there SERVER3. But the zone is emtpy on SERVER2.

What did I missed?

sincerely m.bernasconi
In article <iTwof.12223$ME5.12100@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
M.bernasconi wrote:
> so what did i forgot?

Starting with basic, perhaps "stupid questions" <g>, the servers can
ping each other, right?

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/16/2005 2:29:07 PM
OK, half way there...  One of the servers is NW 6.5, correct?  On that
server, you may need to check the Control Lists tab, Allow Update
setting for its Primary zone.  Start by allowing "any" -- if that
works, then you can narrow it down later if desired.

Be sure to restart NAMED before testing any changes.

Once the change is in place, run 'NAMED -ZI ZoneName' on the Secondary
server for the zone, and that should get the zone populated.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/16/2005 2:29:08 PM
yeah both server can ping eachother.

With the DNS/DHCP Management console and the iManager I tried to set the
setting "any" in the Control List/Allow Update. But everytime I try I
receive following error:
eDirectory Error: eDirectory interaction failure. (iManager) or
error ENDS608 (Mgmt Console)

any ideas?

sincerely
m.bernasconi

In article <caUpf.541$jX2.278@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
M.bernasconi wrote:
> ENDS608

From the Novell docs:

---------
ENDS608 - NDS Error: Attempted to add an attribute illegal for that
object class.
Explanation:Your NDS schema probably is not current.

Action:At the server console load DNIPINST.NLM -r to remove the old
DNS/DHCP schema. Then load DNIPINST.NLM (without -r) to extend the
schema again. If problem persists, report the error to your network
administrator.
---------

Be aware that DNIPINST -R will remove ALL DNS and DHCP related objects
from your tree.  If there is subnet or zone info you want to keep,
export the subnets/zones first so you can import them later.

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad
12/21/2005 8:13:48 PM
Thanks for your answer.

I read the help about this error Message. I'd like to try the DNIPINST.NLM
-r and then DNIPINST.NLM. I just would like to be shure, if DNIPINST.NLM
works with OES (NW 6.5). As example my named.nlm of OES uses other command
switches than my named.nlm in NW6. And i don't want to remove my schema
objects and then i can't extend the schema because of some stupid
documentation error. So DNIPINST.NLM will work with OES (NW6.5)?

sincerely
m.bernasconi
In article <OUsqf.2249$jX2.1013@prv-forum2.provo.novell.com>,
M.bernasconi wrote:
> As example my named.nlm of OES uses other command
> switches than my named.nlm in NW6.

None of which are used to uninstall or install the product -- that is
what DNIPINST does.

> So DNIPINST.NLM will work with OES (NW6.5)?

Yes

bd
NSC Volunteer SysOp

0
Brad

DNS? What DNS?
This has never happened before and in light light of this morning's news about the DDOS I was wondering if it is just my machine or if something else is going on. Background: A firewall on one of my machines blocked IE from getting to the net. I wanted to trace where it was planning to go to (207.188.24.150)to figure out if this was just XP again or something else. I tried Neo Trace and PC Helps "Net Tracer" but neither can track it. All I get is "undetermined" or "timed out" Robin In article <3DB714A2.7050902@twcny.rr.com>, omeru...

DNS UP
Hi We are running 2 BM (3.8) Proxies and until today they have been operating reasonably well. Today we have started getting a lot of 504 errors on workstations using either both servers, looking at the proxy DNS page (on both servers) the DNS links are continually going up and down (like our internet) We have 3 DNS servers entered 2 external and 1 internal. I have tested from outside the BM Servers $and know the 2 external DNS servers are working fine (also no one else who use our provider have an issue). The internal DNS also seems fime. We have not made any changes to th...

How to Put new DNS in DNS/DHCP Server configure atNovell Netware 5 for Small Business
We have a Netware 5 for Small Business. Our ISP provides a new DNS search order. I made this change in sys:\etc\resolv.cfg file. Do I also need to make the change to DNS/DHCP Server at the Novell Server? If I do, what is the procedure to make this change? Are there other place I need to change also? Thanks! Q.Z You're best ask in the DNS newsgroup -- but why does your ISP provides a search order if you have your own DNS? -- Peter eDirectory Rules! ...

GlobalNames DNS zone and NetWare DNS servers
We have a mix of NetWare 6.5 and Windows Server 2008 DNS servers. There is a forwarding zone in Novell that points to the Windows DNS servers for the DNS zone abc.xyz.local. Most workstations are configured for the DNS zone named xyz, so when they attempt to resolve a host name, they append xyz (i.e. webserver.xyz). Novell is primary for the xyz zone, and the workstations point to Novell, so it resolves properly. A few workstations are domain-joined, so they append abc.xyz.local (the AD domain name), turning webserver into webserver.abc.xyz.local. They also point to NetWare DNS, wh...

Netware DNS compatibility with other secondary DNS servers
I have a problem where the primary DNS information for a domain is on a Netware 6 server. The secondary is hosted by an ISP. When I look at the SOA information on the ISP, the serial number is always 0, the refresh is always the number that the matches the serial, the retry is the refresh number and so forth. Has anybody seen this? I've done this type of thing a couple times in the past and have searched here and other places and can't seem to find that anybody else has seen this....anybody have any ideas? Just wondering, why is an ISP hosting your secon...

DNS not forwarding to other dns servers
We had a problem the other day when we lost power on our external DNS server. Users out on the internet were not able to hit our website and do any resolutions to our Secure VPN gateway. When we used the URL address for the website it would not resolve. When we used the VPN Client it would not resolve the name to an address to access the VPN. If we used the IP address it would work. I was under the impression if my dns server went down anyone trying to resolve address to my domain would get the resolution from their DNS server since this information was cached in their DNS Server....

DNS 1 and DNS 2
So out of curiosity I'm looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page . Some times it's to a close port others not . Is this normal activity from my ISP ? Or something I should be worried about ? tia CYS Hemi wrote: > looking at all the connections in my firewall and ever once and while > some hits on DNS 1 and 2 same as listed on my router web page. This is too vague to understand your question let alone answer it. Are you talking about a DSL or cable modem? Are you talking ab...

DNS Server Red X in DNS/DHCP Management Console
When I startup named.nlm, I get this: Starting eDirectory integrated Novell DNS Server... error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 1 failed; interface ignored error: could not listen on UDP socket: address in use error: creating IPv4 interface Loopback Interface 2 failed; interface ignored Loading the configuration and zone data completed. DNS Server running I can't seem to find any info on any of those errors. Also, in the DNS/DHCP Management Console it shows up as a red X. Other than that, it seems t...

Netware DNS server won't zone transfer to Windows DNS
I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am using a netware server as the primary DNS. I have configured a Windows 2003 server to hold the secondary dns zones but cannot get the windows server to load the zone. It states the Transfer of data from the zone master failed. If anyone has any ideas it would be much appreciated. Graeme Versions please... NetWare? Service Pack? NAMED.NLM? bd NSC Volunteer SysOp gmurphy@three.com.au wrote: > I am currently looking to setup DNS servers to serve 70 domains and am > using a netware server as ...

0.0.0.0 for DNS server IP address in DNS/DHCP console
In DNS/DHCP management console I have a red X accross the DNS server object which doesn't go away and it shows 0.0.0.0 in the DNS Server IP Address field instead of actuall DNS server IP address. How can I edit it and change it to the correct server IP address? Any help would be appreciated -- nsafa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nsafa, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not...

Internal DNS server (New to DNS)
We have an external DNS server (149.168.11.11) that resolves all our exteral hosts and IP's. Have setup an internal to resolve our internal Intranet hosts and IP's etc. Our domain name is nash.cc.nc.us or nashcc.edu. I have installed DNS as well as management console. We need to have several INTERNAL host names to resolve: 10.1.2.12 - www.nashcc.edu 10.1.13.3 - bb.nashcc.edu, email.nashcc.edu 10.1.2.15. The DNS Server name is Ncc_Studdev, IP address 10.1.2.200, I have created a Primary zone named NASHCC, as well as IN-ADDR.ARPA for each and a CNAME and PTR record also...

DNS statistics show DNS servers are down
Using BM3.6 on Netware 4.11. All patches current, SP9 for NW, BM36SP2A and C02 update. Have 3 DNS server IP addresses in my resolv.cfg, 2 from SBC and 1 from Cogent Co. 2nd (SBC) is in up state and 1st (SBC) and 3rd (Cognt CO) show down. Yet a ping to each of the 3 addresses is successful 100 percent of the time. Was wondering what might be causing this and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help. JIm Boettger Hi Jim, Have you checked if DNS (NAMED) is actually running on the "down" servers. PING will see if the server is running, but won...

dns failover to secondary dns server
--____GWHFDEEECZAAULLYWYMO____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Thu, 26 Aug 2009 16:19:44 +0200" Hi, Running 2 x Netware 6.5sp8 servers with DNS/DHCP. When the primary DNS = server goes down all Windows XP workstations fail-over to the secondary = DNS server and everything works perfectly. The Windows 2003 servers do = not fail-over to the secondary DNS server. The "ipconfig /all" shows the = 2 dns servers IP addresses. Both the workstations and ser...

Web resources about - 2 DNS Server exchanging their DNS Information? - novell.netware.dns-dhcp

Information - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Information (shortened as info or info. ) is that which informs, i.e. an answer to a question, as well as that from which knowledge and data ...

InformationWeek – Latest Information Technology (IT) news & IT articles - Technology news - IT magazine ...
InformationWeek provides latest Information technology (IT) news online & articles and publishes latest tech news & IT magazine for Indian IT ...

Wye River bushfires: Clear information belies claims of a cover-up
&nbsp;Bushfire information, many questions and searches for answers.

Tech media startup 'The Information' sounds like it's run completely inefficiently, but it's actually ...
Former star Wall Street Journal reporter Jessica Lessin has a tech media startup called The Information . She joined a Digiday podcast to talk ...

SharkCam provides viral video, 'groundbreaking' information
The drone made famous via attack from a great white shark has delivered a wealth of new information on the behaviour of these amazing predators. ...

Worldwide Information Technology Leader Cisco Joins the National Cyber ...
Worldwide Information Technology Leader Cisco Joins the National Cyber ... CNNMoney WASHINGTON, Jan. 12, 2015 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ The National ...

J.K. Rowling Reveals The Secret Information She Told Alan Rickman About Severus Snape
J.K. Rowling has revealed the secret bit of information she once shared with the late Alan [...]

A Reader Sends Along Some Important Information Regarding Synthetic Weed
Synthetic weed! It’s all over the sports news cycle this week , but what is it? Is it the same thing as K2? What is spice? Can it kill you? ...

Spending on Information Security Expected to Rise in 2016
The survey-driven reports from 451 Research found just 4 percent of enterprises are decreasing security spending this year.

Pew Study: Many Americans Are Willing To Sacrifice Personal Information For Good Deals
However, survey respondents did find certain tradeoffs unacceptable, were concerned with the security of the information they did share, and ...