space restriction (negative space in use)

I have NW6.0 SP4 and have space restriction enabled on NSS volume.  The
"space in use column" show negative numbers, any ideas how to fix this
issue?  Thanks.
novell.netware.6x.storage 4914 articles. 1 followers. Follow

TID10074366 ?

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
Dave Parkes wrote:

> 10074366

This TID takes me to
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/netware/qna/nss.html

There is a link "Wierd NSS Stats" which tells me to click on a link to
10074366.  That link tells me:

The document /10074366.htm is no longer available at support.novell.com
or has been updated in another document.

The TID was pulled because it was supposed to be incorrect. If you want to
try it anyway, here is the text:

Statistics on NSS volumes with compression enabled displays negative
values. Novell NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 1 & 2 Post Support Pack Nss Patch
When viewing volume statistics within NSS for user space restrictions,
compressed files, and remaining unused space the results can be erroneous
and will differ depending upon which utility is used. NWAdmin, NetWare
Remote Manager, and ConsoleOne, in some cases, have all reported different
statistics on NSS volumes. Some customers have reported volume statistics
indicating negative values for the amount of disk space available, or
negative amounts used and a valid size amount still available.
Deleted/salvageable files and purgeable space statistics has also
displayed a negative amount for the number of files/space in use. User
space restrictions and compression enabled on NW6 NSS volumes can
experience invalid statistics which result in users exceeding their actual
quota limits.
ex. Statistics report that -100MB has been used for a user who's quota is
10MB could result in that user having 110MB of usable disk space. (The
negative amount must be used first). The problem was introduced with the
released version of NW6 (FCS). This problem has been reported on installs
of NW6 with SP1 and SP2 as well (Overlay CD).
A fixed compression bug caused the negative values to exist. Although the
compression bug is fixed the negative values continue to be reported when
viewing statistics. User Space restrictions can be fixed by simply typing
at the console command NSS /NoUserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then press enter.
***Replace sys with YOUR volume name.***
Followed by NSS /UserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then press enter. This will
cause NSS to recalculate disk space usage for the users. The problem
should not reoccur.
The fix requires the latest NSS patch installed. Customers should run a
rebuild to address all other statistic issues on their affected NSS Pools.
An additional UserSpaceRestriction issue was fixed after the NW6NSS2C.EXE
patch found in the latest COMN.NSS dated at least Dec 17, 2002.

--
Marcel (using XanaNews 1.16.3.1)
I can resist everything but temptation

Ken Massey

Marcel Cox wrote:

> The TID was pulled because it was supposed to be incorrect. If you want to
> try it anyway, here is the text:
>
> Statistics on NSS volumes with compression enabled displays negative
> values. Novell NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 1 & 2 Post Support Pack Nss Patch
> When viewing volume statistics within NSS for user space restrictions,
> compressed files, and remaining unused space the results can be erroneous
> and will differ depending upon which utility is used. NWAdmin, NetWare
> Remote Manager, and ConsoleOne, in some cases, have all reported different
> statistics on NSS volumes. Some customers have reported volume statistics
> indicating negative values for the amount of disk space available, or
> negative amounts used and a valid size amount still available.
> Deleted/salvageable files and purgeable space statistics has also
> displayed a negative amount for the number of files/space in use. User
> space restrictions and compression enabled on NW6 NSS volumes can
> experience invalid statistics which result in users exceeding their actual
> quota limits.
> ex. Statistics report that -100MB has been used for a user who's quota is
> 10MB could result in that user having 110MB of usable disk space. (The
> negative amount must be used first). The problem was introduced with the
> released version of NW6 (FCS). This problem has been reported on installs
> of NW6 with SP1 and SP2 as well (Overlay CD).
> A fixed compression bug caused the negative values to exist. Although the
> compression bug is fixed the negative values continue to be reported when
> viewing statistics. User Space restrictions can be fixed by simply typing
> at the console command NSS /NoUserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then press enter.
> ***Replace sys with YOUR volume name.***
> Followed by NSS /UserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then press enter. This will
> cause NSS to recalculate disk space usage for the users. The problem
> should not reoccur.
> The fix requires the latest NSS patch installed. Customers should run a
> rebuild to address all other statistic issues on their affected NSS Pools.
> An additional UserSpaceRestriction issue was fixed after the NW6NSS2C.EXE
> patch found in the latest COMN.NSS dated at least Dec 17, 2002.

0
Ken
6/24/2004 8:40:58 PM
Ken Massey wrote:

> I just wanted to say that I have NW v6.5 SP1b installed and this (the
> two NSS commands) "fixed" my erroneous negative space reports.

Did the commands preserve your space restrictions?

--
Marcel Cox (using XanaNews 1.16.3.1)
0

Marcel Cox wrote:

> The TID was pulled because it was supposed to be incorrect. If you
> want to try it anyway, here is the text:
>
> Statistics on NSS volumes with compression enabled displays negative
> values. Novell NetWare 6.0 Support Pack 1 & 2 Post Support Pack Nss
> Patch When viewing volume statistics within NSS for user space
> restrictions, compressed files, and remaining unused space the
> results can be erroneous and will differ depending upon which utility
> is used. NWAdmin, NetWare Remote Manager, and ConsoleOne, in some
> cases, have all reported different statistics on NSS volumes. Some
> customers have reported volume statistics indicating negative values
> for the amount of disk space available, or negative amounts used and
> a valid size amount still available.  Deleted/salvageable files and
> purgeable space statistics has also displayed a negative amount for
> the number of files/space in use. User space restrictions and
> compression enabled on NW6 NSS volumes can experience invalid
> statistics which result in users exceeding their actual quota limits.
> ex. Statistics report that -100MB has been used for a user who's
> quota is 10MB could result in that user having 110MB of usable disk
> space. (The negative amount must be used first). The problem was
> introduced with the released version of NW6 (FCS). This problem has
> been reported on installs of NW6 with SP1 and SP2 as well (Overlay
> CD).  A fixed compression bug caused the negative values to exist.
> Although the compression bug is fixed the negative values continue to
> be reported when viewing statistics. User Space restrictions can be
> fixed by simply typing at the console command NSS
> /NoUserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then press enter.  ***Replace sys with
> YOUR volume name.*** Followed by NSS /UserSpaceRestrictions=SYS then
> press enter. This will cause NSS to recalculate disk space usage for
> the users. The problem should not reoccur.
> The fix requires the latest NSS patch installed. Customers should run
> a rebuild to address all other statistic issues on their affected NSS
> Pools.  An additional UserSpaceRestriction issue was fixed after the
> NW6NSS2C.EXE patch found in the latest COMN.NSS dated at least Dec
> 17, 2002.

Space in Use Negative with Space Restrictions
Using Console 1.3.6 I seem to get quite a few users who have a Space in Use statistic with a negative value therefore allowing them to save a lot more info in their home directories than the restriction should allow. Is there an issue in Console One or is it that the space restrictions on the volume are not working properly? Thanks for any enlightenment on this subject. Ben. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Ben Davis - Computer Systems Manager Christian Outreach College Brisbane email: ben@brisbane.coc.edu.au WWW: http://www....

UNIX file system free space, used space, total space
Anyone have an idea about getting UNIX file system free space, used space, total space numbers without having to resort to something like the following ( which gets the percent of used space for a command-line supplied file system name stored in the variable ${file_sys} ): $per_used = `df -k | grep " ${file_sys}\$" | awk '{print \$5}'`; > Anthony (Tony) Esposito > Senior Technical Consultant > Inovis(tm), formerly Harbinger and Extricity > 2425 N. Central Expressway, Suite 900 > Richardson, TX 75080 > (972) 643-3115 > tony.esposito@ino...

Users space restrictions free space
When I set a user space restriction for a user it shows the correct free space when I use the client, but when I hit it by native file (WinXP or Mac OSX) it shows I have access to the whole volume. I am using 6.5 SP2. Any Suggestions? Windows or Mac networking have no idea of NetWare user or dir space restrictions and thus cannot take them into account. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://support.novell.com/forums (Sorry, support is not provided via e-mail) Opinions expressed above are not necessarily those of Novell Inc. ...

Great gap between Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Used
Hi all, I have a question about the Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Used, from the query plan, I found the estimated temp space is 200% of the actual temp space Est. Temp Space Used (Mb) 4722.6 Act. Temp Space Used (Mb) 1948.6 This make it difficult to set QUERY_TEMP_SPACE_LIMIT as the resources is very tight, do you have any idea to make the estimation of the temp space used more accurate? Version: 12.7.0/080707/P/ESD 5/MS/Windows 2003/64bit Keith Ma wrote: > Hi all, > > I have a question about the Est. Temp Space Used and Act. Temp Space Use...

Line spacing, word spacing, char spacing
I already found out line , word and char spacing are not foreseen in GDI+.According to some websites, the MeasureString method does not work the way it should. (which I could use to manually change the X/Y positions etc.)Does anyone know of a component that will do the trick?And preferrably not one that will cost me hundreds of euros :)All I want to do is put some text on an image ...The only problem being is that line, word and char spacing are strict requirement.Seems easy, but I'm quite desperate so thank you for your early reply....

Reserve Table Space / Use All Space Questions
XE3 version 11.0.4.820 Will using a database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ on a large database (10 GB) with lots of activity / updating would cause issues with performance with Interbase? Will using the XE3 database with the *Reserve Table Space* set to ‘No’ cause any long term issues? Gbak has the *–use_all_space* which I imagine the existence of the parameter is same as IBConsole’s ‘Use All Space’ set to true? IBConsole has the Use All Space (false is default or true). Are there any differences between a default restore using gbak compared to ibconsole? Jeff Cope ...

negative log spaced used
Hi, Thanks for reading this. I have Sybase 12.0 running on a Windows 2000 server. I am having issues with negative log space, and not being able to update the database because of this. Any ideas? Linda <Linda_Chauncey> schreef in bericht news:8B41D785D24F22C8005C63F885256B5E.005C640D85256B5E@webforums... > Hi, > Thanks for reading this. I have Sybase 12.0 running on > a Windows 2000 server. I am having issues with negative > log space, and not being able to update the database > because of this. > Any ideas? > Linda Hi, We are having more or ...

Negative space used of log segment.
Hi, Is there any other way in fixing negative space used of log segment. I understand that there is a dbcc command but it doesn't work for us because our data and log segment resides on different devices. Thanks in advance. Jiggs Hi, I pasted the following statement which I got from local sybase vendor when we upgraded our sybase version from 11.5.x to 12.0. I guess that you have a sybase 12.0.X version of sybase and your patch version is not the one of the latest patches. Please read the following statement: The negative space values occur because a value in the d...

Using Regular Expression Validator for removing consecutive white spaces with single white space
Hi I had a textbox feild in which I want to remove consecutive white spaces with single white spaces from beginning,end and middle of text and I want to use Regular Expression Validator to do this Looking out for some Help Kartik Hi,Regular Expression Validator will not remove the space.It will throw a client side validation.To remove space use Trim method on server side.Virendra (MCTS)My Site, Blog Hi! If you want to do it on server side then following is the vb.net code: Imports System.Text.RegularExpressions -----------------------------------------Dim r As Regex = New Reg...

Preserving white space in iframe control using style sheet="white-space:pre"
I am suing iframe control in the edit mode. I need to preserve white space in the control. e.g. if I put following data in the control and then save in the database, SSDB.CLMP1SO              735837              735837               0           0SSDB.CNCP2SO              735837              735837               0           0SSDB.CYMP...

Space being used
I have NW 6.5 latest SP, last week I gave a volume 25 gig and it's gone already.... I know about Nsure audit and file system factory but I don't have any of those installed... Is there a way I can track who is abusing this volume.... I'm seeking when/who/and why all this space is gone already... Also, I would like to see if I can find a specific folder on that volume that may be being hit... Thank you Hi, I'd start with TreeSize Professional (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/) or look at the inventory reports you can do in Remote Manager... Regards, ...

Space used
Hi Does anyone know of how to calculate the spaceused for an non clustered index in a table. Cheers vinodh In article <EnF2kLsYCHA.294@forums.sybase.com>, vinodh.sadagopan@btfinancialgroup.com says... > Hi > Does anyone know of how to calculate the spaceused for an non clustered > index in a table. > > Cheers > vinodh > > > sp_spaceused <tablename>,1 -- Roland van Veen <http://www.sybase.nl/solutions/consulting.html> ...

Storage Space
Not enough storage space to process this command. I sometimes receive this message when trying to copy a large bitmap or jpeg to an external file. It is just as likely to occur for jpeg, although the disc space required is very much less. Is there anything I can do in the IDE or windows environment to make it less likely to happen? As I was increasing the size of the file this morning, it stopped working without a message. I.e. for small files it was OK, for intermediate files it wrote a file of zero size and omitted all the content, for larger files it issued the message. Some ...

Space Restrictions
Brand new install of NW6. How do I setup space restrictions for multiple directories at the same time. I know I can right-click on each individual folders and set space restrctions from the properties page. However, I'd just like to set the restrictions for a bunch of folders at once. Thanks, Jonathan If you can't do it with ConsoleOne then you could try one of the utilities in JRBUtils. http://www.jrbsoftware.com We use them to do lots of things like that. Setquota can set both directory quota's and volume quota's from the command line or i...

Web resources about - space restriction (negative space in use) - novell.netware.6x.storage

Restriction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Facebook Changes Process For User Restrictions On Like Button
... control over the targeted audience for its like button by requiring page administrators to include metatags in their URLs specifying the restrictions. ...

Facebook Enables Demographic Restrictions for Developers
... access to certain application content – or the entire application itself – from users fitting certain demographic profiles. Demographic restrictions ...

TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes ...
Get TFRs: Temporary Flight Restrictions Aviation Pilot NOTAMs on the App Store. See screenshots and ratings, and read customer reviews.

No Known Restrictions: Pledge of Allegiance by Dorothea Lange, San Francisco 1942 (LOC)
Believed to be in Public Domain From Library of Congress, Prints and Photographs Collections. More on copyright: What does "no known restrictions" ...

California Gas Restriction Act of 2015 - YouTube
The California Gas Restriction Act of 2015 will restrict the use of gasoline and diesel in California by 50% over the 15 years. Some say it's ...

Drake & Scull shares soar as Gulf investor restrictions are lifted
... are now able to own 100 per cent of its shares, up from its previous level of 49 per cent. Drake and Scull International has lifted all restrictions ...

How to beat carry-on baggage restrictions: meet the Scottevest coat
A new jacket design will help you cope with the 7kg carry-on baggage limit.

Alaska has 2 years to change IDs before air travel restrictions
The Department of Homeland Security announced a timeline for the final phase of the Real ID Act Friday, and Alaska's deadline is January 2018. ...

Delhi begins car restriction plan to tackle pollution
Indian capital kicks off odd-even 15-day trial aimed at reducing its record-high air pollution.