Replacing SAN attached NetWare 5.1 server with NetWare 6.5

I currrently have a NetWare 5.1 SP7 server with 0.5TB data connected to
a SAN. I wish to replace this server with a new server.

Can I leave the data on the SAN, disconnect and shutdown the existing
server and install the NetWare 6.5 server connect it to the SAN and have
it pick up the existing NSS volumes?

Obviously if this were possible I would need to perform a NSS upgrade.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
Dave
0
David
1/25/2006 11:23:52 AM
novell.netware.6x.storage 4914 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Why disconnect it?
--
  Andrew C Taubman
  Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

  Opinions expressed above are not
  necessarily those of Novell Inc.
0
Andrew

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Netware 6.5 server abends when trying to backup Netware 5.1 GW Server
I am trying to backup a netware 5.1 GW server from my new 6.5 server (all support packs are in). I am using brightstore 9 and am able to back up the 6.5 server but I get a Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000)fstape.nlm error when I try to back up the netware GW server. It seems to get to a certain step and then abends. with: Any help would be appreciated. Server ELBA-FS halted Tuesday, August 3, 2004 7:35:47.545 am Abend 1 on P00: Server-5.70.02: Page Fault Processor Exception (Error code 00000000) Registers: CS = 0060...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is also our webserver for the school district). > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files from the old server... > >...

Migrating Information from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Server w/Migration Wizard 7.1
> rkish@gwl.ouboces.org > > Thank you for your help...here is my predicament. > > I want to migrate an "old" NetWare 5.1/SP6 server to new hardware and > upgraded to NetWare 6.5 using the latest Migration Wizard (7.1). This is > our email server and currently has GroupWise 5.54 installed on it (it is > also our webserver for the school district). > > As we have NEVER used the latest Migration Wizard before, we are unsure > as how and which "data" folders to transfer to the new server. Here is > the list of files fro...

Netware 6.5 Server with a Netware 5.0 Server?
We want to install a new Netware 6.5 server in an environment that has two 6.0 servers and 2 Netware 5.0 servers on the same tree. We are running 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? Thanks in advance. Dennis Dennis, > We are running > 8.6.2 e directory on the 6.0 boxes and 8.0.6 NDS on the 5.0 boxes. Are > there any problems with this setup,or should we be installing 6.0 instead? > According to: http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/...

Migrating NDPS from NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 (New Server)
Good Afternoon - I am working on migrating NDPS currently running on a NetWare 5.1 (about to be decommissioned) server. I configured a new NetWare 6.5 server and need to move the Broker / Manager and Printers over to the new box. Can I simply load BROKER and MANAGER on the new server and then just copy the resource directory where all drivers reside? Any help would be greatly appreciated :-) Dariusz -- dariusz71 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ I believe you need to have a broker and manager loaded on the new server an...

Remove of Netware 5.1 server from Netware 6.5 network fail
Hi, We have a NW-network consisting af several netware 6.5 servers. We have one Netware 5.1 server and it's time has run out! It's only purpose in the last year was beeing a splda. Now slp is moved to another server. I have removed all replicas on the server. When I: Nwconfig->Directory service->Remove... etc. after accepting I really want to do it it, the server starts consuming Cache Buffers and it does it until there is none left. Then it gives me either: "Install more memory". or "-625 nwconfig-5-463" which is at communication failure. ...

Connecting a NetWare 6.5 cluster to NetWare 5.1 volumes on a SAN
Hi there, I am working on a site relocation project where we have multiple NetWare 5.1 servers at the current site and we are moving to a new site where they will be replaced with a NetWare 6.5 cluster. The NetWare 5.1 servers have the data volumes sitting on a SAN (about 2TB) and we were thinking to use the SAN hardware to mirror the LUNs between the two sites. Doing a data copy will take far too long and require too much administration. Once we mirror to the new site and are ready to migrate the servers we would then shutdown the NetWare 5.1 servers (although we would d...

Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server
Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production. Hard not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :) That said - we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers. Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration? Just one tree. The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN. With multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch configuration - so we'll have to update ...

NetWare 5.1 SP3 server no longer able to ping NetWare 5.1 SP8 server
I'm hoping someone can help me rather quickly. We upgraded on our master NetWare 5.1 server from SP3 to SP8 on Thursday morning. Unfortunately, one of our other NetWare 5.1 SP3 servers just stopped time syncing with it on Saturday. We desperately need to get it talking again because of Groupwise, etc. I was wondering if upgrading it to SP8 would resolve the problem. Unfortunately, our time sync isn't working, and I'm afraid of trying SP8. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks! On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:03:22 GMT, eberlyd@bbsol.us wrote: >I'm hoping so...

Web resources about - Replacing SAN attached NetWare 5.1 server with NetWare 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.storage

Facebook Tests Replacing Keyword Ad Targeting With Broad Category Targeting
Facebook is testing a major functionality change for its self-serve performance ad tool that would replace the specific Like keyword targeting ...

The Dangers of Replacing Coil Springs on Your Vehicle - Bonus Clip - YouTube
In this episode of Saturday Mechanic bonus clip, Ben and Russ show what happens when a coil spring compressor fails. Subscribe today for more! ...

School apologises for taking cane off blind boy and replacing it with pool noodle
A primary school has apologised for taking away the cane of an eight-year-old blind boy and replacing it swimming pool noddle as a form of punishment. ...

Federation Centres stuns market by replacing CEO Steven Sewell with Angus McNaughton effective immediately ...
Retail landlord Federation Centres has surprised the market with the appointment of former Novion Property's Angus McNaughton as the ...

Replacing China's broken economic gauge
As Chinese growth shifts away from its reliance on heavy industry, we need a new index to the track the ups and downs of the economy.

Cricket officials discuss replacing Michael Clarke with Steven Smith as full-time Australian captain
Senior Australian cricket figures have discussed the option of appointing Steven Smith as the country's permanent captain beyond the World Cup, ...

Apache Software Foundation unveils Hadoop 2, replacing MapReduce with YARN
The Apache Software Foundation unveiled its latest release of its open source data processing program, Hadoop 2. It runs multiple applications ...

Australia spends $110 million a year replacing lost coins
Australians lose 255 million coins every year - down the back of our couches, taken overseas in the pockets of tourists and stuck to footpaths. ...

AMD appoints Lisa Su as first female CEO, replacing Rory Read
AMD has appointed Lisa Su chief executive officer to replace Rory Read, swapping an executive who has stabilised the second-biggest chipmaker's ...

A case of one bad government replacing another
THERE is a widening gap between the sort of government a Tony Abbott-led Coalition will need to become to steer the nation successfully in the ...