Trouble configuring DNS/DHCP Netware 6.5

I have some experience with 3.1X and 4.x Novell Netware using IPX.
Recently I tried installing Netware 6.5 and tried to use DNS/DHCP.
I read as much documentation as I could including what was supplied on

the install CDs.
Novell works great when I assign an IP at the workstation. But No
success
even configuring DNS/DHCP.  e.g. doesn�t like IP address range with a

mask of 255.255.255.0???
This is a very simple installation with only one server doing all the

work for 50+ workstations and printers. No external connection to
anything outside the office.
0=TOP,  server name = SAM,  server IP  10.100.30.30, all IP from
10.100.30.1 to 50
are fixed and assigned by me. All IP from 10.100.30.51 to 250 are
dynamic
and are assigned by DHCP.

I�m sure I�m making this far more complicated than it needs to be.
What
are the minimum records other than those built by nipinst -f must I
create?
Is there a �quick start� configuration for this extremely simple
implementation of
DHCP? Any suggestions

George

0
ka3wxv

> What are the minimum records other than those built by nipinst -f
must I
> create?

That would be dnipinst -f, this will create only the location stuff.
After
that you need to create the actual DHCP and DNS server objects.   Then
you need
to create a DHCP scope and assign your address ranges under that.
Finally you
need to actually start the DHCPSRVR.NLM (and NAMED.NLM) on your
server.

Frankly the DHCP setup is a darn sight easier than the DNS, because
you don't
have to worry about the reverse lookup zone and its pointers, nor do
you have
to worry about the self referential A records which point back to the
server
and which the damn thing keeps bleating about for ever unless you do
it.

I think there must have been some howto TID or something similar which
I read
when I first did this back in Netware 5 ... but I can't find it now.

There's no problem that I have ever encountered assigning
255.255.255.0 as a
mask.

There is still a DNS-DHCP topic shown hereabouts - but I'm not sure if
it's one
of the many that have been discontinued.

Regards

KD

installing netware 6.5 cluster into exisiting netware 5 tree.

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Install Netware 6.5 in current Netware 6 for DirXML use?
I would like to install Netware 6.5 in our current NW6.0 environemnt for using the Dirxml starter pack. Any issues such as I have only SP2 on all servers can not go to SP3 at the moment. I know DirxML will require a replica of DirxMl accounts needed so can the two versions of Directory servcies co-exists alright? I would lik eto know if I can simply insert the new NW6.5 into our current tree with out changes to the current NW6 + SP2 environment? Thanks Bradley Bowness, Although SP is recommended, there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. Just be sure to r...

Import DNS Zone from Netware 5.1 SP6 to Netware 6.5
Can I import a DNS Zone from a Netware 5.1 SP6 Server to Netware 6.5 SP1 ? Please see my reply to your earlier post, and in the future please do not post essentially the same question more than once. Thanks, bd NSC Volunteer SysOp ...

Migrating DHCP from NetWare 5.1 to Netware 6.5 OES server
Yes...we still have some legacy NetWare 5.1 servers in production. Hard not to admire servers that haven't been rebooted in years :) That said - we're migrating and consolidating these remaining "vintage" NetWare boxes to virtual 6.5 OES servers. Is there a TID or defined procedure for performing this migration? Just one tree. The legacy 5.1 servers are on a subnet (VLAN) that we're abandoning - with the virtual servers being on a new VLAN. With multiple VLANs - we're using a dhcp helper in our core switch configuration - so we'll have to update ...

Web resources about - Trouble configuring DNS/DHCP Netware 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

Configuring Your Xcode Project for Distribution
Describes the common workflows to develop, test, and distribute your app.

Installing and configuring Graphite
Here are some notes I jotted down while installing and configuring Graphite, which isn't a trivial task, although the official documentation ...

Configuring Android Data Binding Just Got Easier
The [Android Data Binding Guide](https://developer.android.com/tools/data-binding/guide.html) was recently updated with a new way to configure ...

Configuring your Mac's network settings
At one time, a typical Mac user would no more have connected a couple of computers to the Internet via a local network than they would have extracted ...

Configuring a secure Ubuntu Linux Virtual Private Server
... acid which is a web based application to be able to view snort alerts $ sudo apt-get install acidbase Select No when it prompts you for configuring ...

Custom Configuring Java Apps: Extending log4j
Creating an extended, server-side version of a log4j Logger that automatically configures itself and adds printf -like logging methods to the ...

T-Mobile networks start configuring themselves, thanks to Eden Rock
T-Mobile US has tapped Eden Rock Communications , a Seattle-area wireless networking startup, to add some self-awareness to its networks. Eden ...

Configuring the feed used by dnu to restore packages
The Home repository is the starting point for people to learn about ASP.NET 5.

Why NASA Is Re-Configuring Part of the International Space Station
NASA robotics flight controllers are preparing for moving day at the International Space Station.

Configuring two wireless routers with one SSID (network name) at home for free roaming - Scott Hanselman ...
Scott Hanselman on Programming, User Experience, The Zen of Computers and Life in General