Timesync Best Practices and NTP Limits

Hi Everyone,

First time posting so please be gentle.

My question is this: Is there an upper limit for the number of NTP
clients a single reference server can have? In the documentation I've
read, they say to use 30 secondary *Timesync* servers or less for a
single reference server, but it doesn't say anything about the number of
NTP requests that one server can handle.

Scenario: I have a tree consisting of 7 Netware 6.5 SP5 servers, 2
Netware 5.1 servers, and 1 Netware 6.5 SP8 server. The time server
(Single reference) houses a R/W replica and is an SLPDA. While the
number of Netware servers hitting it for time is well under 30, there
are over 90 network switches requesting time from it as well. All
devices are using NTP (port 123 in the configured sources list in
Netware) and I keep getting the message "Time Synchronization has been
lost after 14 successful polling loops" every 23 minutes. Been
researching for weeks and it's driving me up a wall. If anybody could
shed some light on the situation, I'd really appreciate it.

Many Thanks in advance for your sage-like wisdom,
Chris

--
chaseds

chaseds

0
ab
12/6/2011 1:13:26 AM
Thanks very much for your prompt and helpful reply ab.

--
chaseds
chaseds's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=13469

0