RW Replica removal causes server access problems.

We have 3 SLES servers (OES2sp3), Master replica on SLES, RW replica on
each server, 1 Netware 6.5sp8 server. Various eDir versions 8.8.5 (NDS
20219.15 on NW)

I recently removed a RW replica from the Netware server using
Console1.

What happened was that users could not map drives or access that
server, until I added a RW replica back.

As far as I understood it, it was not necessary to have replicas on all
file servers to access files on all those servers. Am I missing
something (like, do you need at least one NETWARE replica to allow
access to Netware-based file and print services?)

I was able to login and access the server OK, but I'm not sure whether
it was due to being Admin or because most workstations have a Zenworks
agent installed and mine don't.

There's precious little left on the NW server, but just enough that I
can't fully leave for all SLES.

TIA for any ideas.
Simon

--
sspivey

sspivey

A couple of things that I have noticed since that might make a
difference:

-NW server is the org's CA
-NW server is still the single time source

I'm not planning on removing the server yet, but I'd still like to take
the replica off it.

(I'm troubleshooting a firewall/ldap latency issue where I suspect that
user IP address information is being added to that server during login
and then being replicated to the SLES slower than it should be)
Thanks
Si.

--
sspivey
sspivey's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=20297

0
sspivey
10/17/2011 6:16:02 PM
As long as eDir is syncing happily there's no reason why removing a
replica should have this effect. What exactly happened when users tried
to map a drive to it? What syntax did they use?

--
Andrew C Taubman

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=446932

0
ataubman

Netware Server A access to Netware servers B volumes
Hello, it's possible to access from server A console to servers B volumes and files. I 'need this for a canon nlm program that stores printfiles only on Printserver but we need this files on server B. For example: Its possible to edit on servers A console edit serverB/sys:system/canon.txt I know this windows like, but we need this. Any idea ??? You can see files on another server with ConsoleOne by navigating to its volume objects, but I'm not aware of way of editing them. -- Andrew C Taubman Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp http://suppo...

installation problem in Netware Access Gateway
hi there, I hit problem when installing Netware Access Gateway, it failed to load storage driver, how should I load in the correct drive with cdrom ? minesevo, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated reply. Has your problem been resolved? If not, you might try one of the following options: - Do a search of our knowledgebase at http://support.novell.com/search/kb_index.jsp - Check all of the other support tools and options available at http://support.novell.com in both the "...

Replica problems needing to remove a server
I need to remove a server from my tree, wipe it out entirely and bring it back into my tree with a different name. I have 8 netware 6.0 servers sp3 and all running great except something with replicas is causing me problems with deleting a server and bringing in a new one. In console one, replica and partition view, if I look at the server that should be holding the master, it says "root, master, on" and then has "contextname, SUBREFERENCE with a yellow circle and a question mark, on" for all other contexts (partitions) including "Admins". If I go...

problem in access to second netware server
Hi i added second netware server to existing lan recently, every things seem to be ok but i can not see second server in "micrsoft netware network" and only access to old netware server( without novell client installed) , i have checked every things but i can not find where is the problem. please let me know how can i fix this problem. -- mbashiri ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mbashiri, > Hi > i added second netware server to existing lan recently, every things > seem to be ok but i can not see second serv...

Removing all replicas before removing server
Hi! I wish to re[lace my actual WEB server (traditional NW 6.5 sp6) with a NOWS SBE 2 server. Earlier on other thread (Traditional NW to NOWS SBE2) I was told to: 1. "If the old Server is the CA....." - it is not!!! 2. ".... I would suggest to remove al replicas from the old server first too". Using DSREPAIR -a , I found that the server to be deleted has only READ\WRITE replicas and all the MASTER or subordinate replicas are on other server. Can I remove the READ\WRITE replicas without any caution? One of the replicas name is "Dir-XML-set.yyyy.xxxx...

install web access in DMZ on netware server
Hey all, I want to take on the task of rearranging our groupwise setup. Currently I have a NW65sp2 machine with GW65sp3 poa, mta, gwia, and webaccess installed on it on our inside network. I want to take webaccess and move it to a DMZ. I want to continue to use apache2 and netware 6.5 as the OS but exactly how should I got about doing that? Do I create a tree in the DMZ for the webaccess objects to reside or do I change the IP address of the current object to whatever the IP will be of the server in the service area? I have heard tale of making sure that the commer.cfg ...

Problems with Replica on a Netware 5.x install.
Hi, I recently installed a novell 5.x server into an existing netware 5.x environment. When I do a config the Tree name is given but not the bindery context. Also in NDS manager the new server has a read/write replica of the root but not of the Organization or the OU that the server is in. I have tried adding a R/W replica to the server for the OU but I keep getting Error -602 when I try and also the server shows not bindery context. I think this is a major problem. Is there anything I can do to remedy this. The server is running SP6 for netware. THanks Sameer. narak786@yahoo.c...

Objet : Problem to access the server Netware with Windows
Hello, I am new in Netware. I try to reach my Netware server (ver. 6.0 eval) to a Windows station (ver. 2000 server) via the Client Novell (ver. 4.9). My 2 computers are connected via a cable cross network and they have each one a private address IP. When I try to connect me to my waiter, no tree is posted. Here are some additional informations: - The Netware server has its own adress IP as DNS. It is not connected to Internet. It is configured for protocol IP only. - The Client Novell contains the desired tree and its context. The location profile is defined too. - On my W...

remove netware server from nds and replica ring
we have a mixed environment with nw6 server and nw4.11 server. the nw 4.11 server contains the latest supportpack for nw 4.11. how can i remove a server from the nds and replica ring? the server is running but we dont use it anymore. Which is the best way to remove a server from the nds and replica ring? Thanks Thomas tk_cne@arcor.de wrote: > we have a mixed environment with nw6 server and nw4.11 server. the nw 4.11 > server contains the latest supportpack for nw 4.11. > > how can i remove a server from the nds and replica ring? > the server is running...

Problem Installing Dell OpenManage on NetWare 6 server
Hi, Has anyone tried installing the Dell OpenManage Systems Management software on a Dell PowerEdge computer running NetWare 6 with SP2 installed.? I have tried it on a PowerEdge 2650 and a PowerEdge 4200 and the results are the same: the server is unstable and SMS services are effected. I am still working with Dell on resolving the issue, but I thought I should find out if anyone has installed it successfully. I appreciate your input. Thanks Yensah Yensah, I've experienced the same. The DELL software makes the server very unstable and also causes a lot of abends ...

Client/Server Problem After Netware 6.0 Install
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I recently completed my first install of Netware using 6.0.4. I have not = been able to find the tree or context I created for the server using a = workstation that was previously configured for another tree. I have = assigned the workstation an ip on the network with the server, and have = turned off login scripts on the advanced tab. The workstation and server = are connected through a hub with no other network connections. I tried to = get into the Console...

Netware 6.5 SP7 Server install problem
Have following problem on install of the operating sys. , on a Power Edge 2900. Installing the software, the server crashes when reach the following point in the install. When the install asks for the IP address ; I have clicked the IP box on the software install screen of netware , and it crashes the server ? This happened twice, at the same time and place in the install.? Just checking the box , did it. The IP box. Seems too be a conflict with the NIC on the motherboard of the server? Hardware problem, drivers, or software? Any suggestions? I have asked Dell too...

Problems adding a new replica an a NetWare 6.5 Server
Hi, Before adding a rw-replica on a new NetWare 6.5 Server my NDS-Tree was in sync. I did the standard health procedure from Novell. Also the time was synchronised. When I try to add a rw-replica on the new NetWare 6.5 Server I will see on the NetWare 5.1 Server which holds the master of the Root-Replica that the replica is beeing added - but never finished. From the view of the new NetWare 6.5 Server I will see: - Create subref for (4.20 Server outside) failed, partition root (-667) - Add orphan subref failed, invalid request (-641) server contacted. And after I made unatte...

Netware 6.5 sp6 causing problems on GroupWise server
Since upgrading our groupwise server (Groupwise 7.0.1) to netware 6.5 sp6 the utilization has rocketed up from a steady 2-3% to 50% It seems that the GWADA is using loads of resources since the netware upgrade. Anyone else got this issue? Jamie --____INLWNXEHDZSTASJEQVFB____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-15 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Content-Disposition: inline; modification-date="Fri, 5 Apr 2007 05:28:26 -0400" GWADA? Didn't that go away ages ago? I have GW 7.0.1 and there is no = GWADA running, unless you are referri...

Web resources about - RW Replica removal causes server access problems. - novell.netware.6x.install

Apple is working on an iOS app for troubleshooting device problems
... with knowledge of goings-on at Apple’s Infinite Loop HQ,” the in-development application asks customers “basic questions to boil down the problem” ...

Sleeping in on weekends linked to health problems
... morning snoozes (however glorious they may be). Sleeping late on days-off—and other sleep-time adjustments—are linked to metabolic problems ...

E. Coli Isn't Chipotle's Only Problem
Brand perception was way down even before the latest outbreak.

Yahoo's board suddenly has a big, looming problem and it could mean the end of Marissa Mayer
... winnable for Starboard. And with the Alibaba stake looking more risky, this argument is potentially worth fighting harder for. The IRS problem ...

Apple admitted there's a problem with the iPad Pro
... The launch of the iPad Pro hasn't been smooth. In addition to the issue of iPad Pros crashing when being charged, there has also been a problem ...

8 more years of leap-second problems loom; governments punt decision to 2023
Tick. Tick. Tick. Clang! That was the sound of an intergovernmental conference kicking the leap-second can down the road. Sysadmins will be dealing ...

DC Residents Have Little Faith In Mayor To Address Corruption Problems
DC Residents Have Little Faith In Mayor To Address Corruption Problems

10 Simple Techs to Tackle World Problems
Each year, the Tech Museum of Innovation recognizes innovators who are employing technology to solve the world's most pressing problems.