Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5

We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82

I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master
replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1
servers to 6.5.  What should I be concerned about?  Does this sound like
the appropriate path to take?
0
kweaver

You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no
other application installed on the server, use MW7.1.  In order to do this
make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to
the latest available for NW5.1.  Get a copy of the trustee rights and save
this to a local PC (not the server - this is where I made a mistake).
Please pay attention to the next thing.
Make a detail list of the applications that you are running (ZfD, GW, NDPS,
etc) and check and make sure you understand how a migration will affect
these apps.  Novell will have you believe that as long as it's in NDS it'll
work, yeah right it'll work as long as you are prepared to put in some long
hours.
Seriously, though make sure you know what will migrate and what will not.
SYS Vol will not migrate although we did migrate the Users folder to Vol1,
all other Volumes did.
Make sure your servers NDS are healthy before you do anything and fix them
if they are not.
We had problems with the regular NW6.5 CD and then SP2 (big mistake) build
your server with the Overlay SP2 CD (get both CDs as one is the OS and the
other is the products).
Issues we had:
iManager not working
couldn't install apps post installation using StartX on the server (had to
do a server down upgrade)
iPrint not working
ZfD32 not working
NDPS didn't work
Having BM3.5 issues

I believe some of this stems from eDir8.7.3 install.

Some of the others can fill in what I may have missed.

Regards,

Jon

<kweaver@conemaugh.org> wrote in message
> We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82
>
> I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master
> replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1
> servers to 6.5.  What should I be concerned about?  Does this sound like
> the appropriate path to take?

0
Jon
7/27/2004 11:32:41 AM
>Get a copy of the trustee rights and save
>this to a local PC (not the server - this is where I made a mistake).

Could you explain this? How do you do this copy?
0
jkrebs
7/27/2004 7:20:54 PM
,
> Could you explain this? How do you do this copy?

Download trustee.nlm from Novell and read the instructions.

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com)
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
  Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
AndersG

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

NetWare 5.1 SP5 to NetWare 6.5 upgrade questions
Hello, We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to NetWare 6.5 later this year. We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question. Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to upgrade? And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP? version we should upgrade to? Thanks, Scott Hi Scott, The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level of NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers. Stany. > Hello, > We have plans to upgr...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade EDIR question....
We have a tree of 20 servers all at NW 5.1, sp4 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3). We are getting ready to begin upgrades of all the servers to NW 6.5 sp1.1. Each server will have nw51sp6 applied just prior to the upgrade. The process will take 10 - 12 weeks to upgrade all of the servers. My question: Will we experience problems between servers still at NW 5.1 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3) and the new servers at NW 6.5 with edir 8.7.3? Will they cooexist in a fairly stable manner until all upgrades are complete? We prefer not to travel to all locations just to update edir.... THANKS! Rick. R ...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 #2
I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. > I am getting ready to make the move to 6.5. My servers are not in a > clustered environment. Will my 5.1 boxes do a straight upgrade to 6.5? Or > is there any prep work I need to do before hand? Thanks in advance. From reading other threds here, the 2 things to do first, is to upgrade to the most current eDirectory and the apply the most current patches to t...

Web resources about - Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

The security questions that every company should be asking in 2015
With more businesses operating online than ever before, security has moved from physical to virtual. Ensuring the safety of the details of your ...

Submit your questions for Autoblog Podcast #460
Filed under: Podcasts We're recording Autoblog Podcast #460 this week, and our main focus will be answering our listeners' questions. Submit ...

Want to land a job at Netflix? You’ll have to answer these tough questions first
Netflix sounds like an incredibly cool place to work if you're a software engineer but they don't let just anybody come in to code for them. ...

If you want to work for Airbnb, get ready to answer these 27 ridiculous interview questions
Airbnb is the third-most valuable private tech company in the world — it has a $25.5 billion valuation . If you want to work there, you might ...

Questions raised about San Bernardino shooter's visa
Chair of House Judiciary Committee says immigration officials had insufficient evidence to issue Tashfeen Malik a visa to enter the U.S.

“R. Kelly walked out of a HuffPo interview after some awkward questions” links
R. Kelly walked out of HuffPo interview after being asked some awkward questions about his fans’ reactions to his sexual assault of minors. [Dlisted] ...

Where's Conservative Outrage Over Hugh Hewitt's Questions To Ben Carson?
One of the biggest tools the conservative punditry uses to make itself look like underdogs is to complain that the librul media is out to get ...

Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump
Shocker: Hillary Clinton Spins Question On Bullying In Order To Criticize Donald Trump

No Sumner Redstone Deposition Yet But Philippe Dauman Has To Answer Questions Says Judge In Health Care ...
Manuela Herzer will not be getting Sumner Redstone to face lawyers' questions over his mental capacity to make decisions about his health care ...