Netware Small Business 6.5 migration from Small Business 5.0

Im looking for any comments about migrating a Novel Small Business Server
5.0 SP 6a to new hardware and a new OS of Novell Small Business Server 6.5.
0
pnewberry

You should be able to do this with the Migration Wizard 6.5 tool.

Questions though -- how much data, how many users?

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

The file name is MIGERROR.txt

0xfffeffbd	NWSMListTSAs

Another thing that is interesting. The migration utility error log
dispays the following in the contents

- Error '(Look at the SYS\SYSTEM\MIGERROR.LOG file on the destination
server for more information about this error.) SMSConnOpen Xde - An
unknown error has occurred.' occurred attempting to open the connection
to the SMDR from server 'xxx' to server 'xxx'. Make sure the TSA's are
loaded on both servers.   If connection problems persist, try editing the
destination server's Sys:\etc\Hosts file, and insert an entry for each
source server (include IP address and Source Server name).  See the
Troubleshooting section in the user documentation for possible solutions
to this error.

xxx=the same as the destination server.  I find it interesting.  I would
assume this should say destination server to source server.

I don't see anything on the Novell knowledge base that really explains
this error.

I've tried using the SMDR NEW command and the other things listed as
options.  I updated the source server DS to 7.62c as per some documents I
found, that didn't change anything.

I have 20+ GB of data and less than 10 uesrs.  Its tempting to just start
from scratch, albeit, it is a bit confusing to me why this tool is not
working.

I can't get past the first stage of the migration.

> You should be able to do this with the Migration Wizard 6.5 tool.
>
> Questions though -- how much data, how many users?
>
> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Volunteer Sysop

0
pnewberry
1/10/2005 2:11:10 PM
OK -- is IPX deployed on both servers?

In any event, in that environment, I would start clean instead -- new
install on the 6.5 side in a new tree.  Log in to both servers from a
workstation to copy data from the old server to the new server and set
up the users from scratch -- I think it would be a lot simpler and
cleaner in this case.

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

IPX is running on both servers.  Its a shame that I can't find the
problem, as if it happens again, building the tree from scratch is not
always that simple.  In this case it is, but...

Thanks for your help.

> OK -- is IPX deployed on both servers?
>
> In any event, in that environment, I would start clean instead -- new
> install on the 6.5 side in a new tree.  Log in to both servers from a
> workstation to copy data from the old server to the new server and set
> up the users from scratch -- I think it would be a lot simpler and
> cleaner in this case.
>
> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Volunteer Sysop

0
pnewberry
1/10/2005 8:23:23 PM
Well the Wizard should work -- I just must 'fess up' to not having used
it from 5.0 -- I shifted to 5.1 (as an in place) fairly quickly.  Going
from 5.1 (and curiously enough 4.11/4.2) to 6.5 seems simpler.

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

Then I used the migration wizard...

I did however take a full image of the server with Portlock Storage
Manager first.  www.portlocksoftware.com   It is free to take the
images, you just need the license to restore.

Tim
___________________
Tim Heywood (SYSOP)
NDS8
Scotland
(God's Country)
___________________

In theory, practice and theory are the same
In Practice, they are different
0
Tim
1/10/2005 9:24:57 PM
Yup -- I'd heard that there have been some difficulties in going from
5.0 to 6.5 -- but it SHOULD work.

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

Thank you for the information, this sounds promising.

> I have seen this same problem.  In the end I gave up, downloaded NW5.1
> with SP7 Overlay and installed that as an inplace upgrade.
>
> Then I used the migration wizard...
>
> I did however take a full image of the server with Portlock Storage
> Manager first.  www.portlocksoftware.com   It is free to take the
> images, you just need the license to restore.
>

> Tim
> ___________________
> Tim Heywood (SYSOP)
> NDS8
> Scotland
> (God's Country)
> ___________________
>
> In theory, practice and theory are the same
> In Practice, they are different

0
pnewberry
1/11/2005 4:44:36 AM

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2968212.htm>
--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:03:45 GMT, Barry Schnur <barry@home.com> wrote:

>Yup -- I'd heard that there have been some difficulties in going from
>5.0 to 6.5 -- but it SHOULD work.

Tim
___________________
Tim Heywood (SYSOP)
NDS8
Scotland
(God's Country)
___________________

In theory, practice and theory are the same
In Practice, they are different
0
Tim
1/11/2005 8:13:25 AM
Understood -- heck when I did an in place from 5.1 to 6.0, while it
worked, it got messy enough regarding what was installed, I eventually
solved the problem with a clean install.  Netware in place upgrades are
not as bad as Windows in place upgrades, but sometimes they approach
that 'standard'.

--
Barry Schnur
Novell Volunteer Sysop

> Im looking for any comments about migrating a Novel Small Business Server
> 5.0 SP 6a to new hardware and a new OS of Novell Small Business Server 6.5.

0
dwbenjamin

Netware 5 and Netware 5 small business
Can Netware 5 and a Netware 5 small business coexist on same network and use same nds etc? And what if I need to purchase the Netware 5, is it a problem upgrading the nw 5 small business server? Thanks Tim > Can Netware 5 and a Netware 5 small business coexist on same network > and use same nds etc? And what if I need to purchase the Netware 5, is > it a problem upgrading the nw 5 small business server? > Fair question -- I don't think they can use the same OU -- they certainly don't use the same licenses. You can purchase NetWare 5.0 -- discontinued. ...

NetWare 5.1 Small Business upgrade to NetWare 6.5 SBS fatal error
Attempt to upgrade NetWare 5.1 Small Business to NetWare 6.5 SBS failed with fatal error. In-place upgrade on Compaq ML350 G2, existing NOS is NW5.1 SBS running SP8. Running NW65OSSP2 overlay CD, process ran smoothly through selection of server software components, upon start of file copy fatal error message is displayed. Same result with minimal install of basic NetWare server and GroupWise only. Full text of the error message is: "Fatal error: Path null is invalid or not recognizable." Additional information is available in SYS:\NI\Data\ni.log and other files...

Migrating two Netware 5 Sp7 Servers to 1 Small Business 6.5
I am looking for suggestions on migrating 2 NW5.0 SP7 servers (Within one tree) to One Small Business 6.5 (Sp2) server. Do you run the Migration Wizard on both source servers seprately for File migration & the Migrate NDS once... Kind of conused on the process here. Any Help would be greatky appreciated. On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:02:12 GMT, "Grant Hughes" <ghughes@sd23.bc.ca> wrote: >I am looking for suggestions on migrating 2 NW5.0 SP7 servers (Within one >tree) to One Small Business 6.5 (Sp2) server. You want the Server Consolidation Utility. Go ...

Netware & GroupWise 6.5 versus Small Business Suite 6.5?
I couldn't find a great forum to put this in, so this is the closest thing. We're currently running NW 5.0 and GW 6.5 and have the NW 6.5 licenses and media in hand, ready to be upgraded to in January. The time has come for me to renew my upgrade protection, and I'm wondering, is there any reason I shouldn't buy the licenses and upgrade protection for small business server 6.5 instead? It would seem that, for the same amount of money, I now will get NW 6.5, GW 6.5 and and older version of Zen (which will allow me to use "roaming profiles"). What I am...

Crashed Netware 6.0.5 Small Business Server
I have restored the NetWare 6.0.5 Small Business Server, but I can not get apache to load. What steps should I do to get it up and running. I have done the pkidiag with no errors, any Ideas. Thanks, Tim Tim Stenberg, > I have restored the NetWare 6.0.5 Small Business Server, but I can not > get apache to load. What steps should I do to get it up and running. > I have done the pkidiag with no errors, any Ideas. > OK. What errors do you get? Screen? Startup.err? error_log ? - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE6, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop Pedago, The Aaland Islands...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 migration
My corporation recently acquired a company with a single Netware 5.0 server. We have already installed a new Netware 6.5 server at their location that is part of our global eDirectory tree. Their old NW 5.0 server is on its own indepentent tree. What is the best method to migrate their users, groups, data, trustees, and printers to our global tree. We have already created a container for them in our global tree. I looked at the SCMT tool from Novell but I think it is designed to migrate/upgrade servers that are in the same tree. Any suggestions besides a manual creation of user...

Migration from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
I am install new hardware and new netware. The old server is running NW5.0 and the new one will be running NW 6.5. Is ther an easy way to move users and data from the old server to the new one. I know that I will not be able to move the printer and will have to set all of them on the new server. We have about 800 users on the old server. I think the current Server Consolidation and Migration tool supports a 5.0 source. If not, you may need to get the earlier 6.5 Migration Wizard -- it is available in the cool tools area. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connectio...

Netware 5.0 sp6.0a to Netware 6.5 sp6.0 migration
When verifying my migration project the Novell Migration Wizart version 8.1.5 I get the following error. File 'SYS:INSTALL' on BHS_SERVER was not found. --- Error caused by a NetWare API error --- Network error: Path invalid (Error code: 0X899c Function Name: NWGetEffectiveRightsExt) I have gone through all of the pre-migration steps and everything checks out fine up until this poing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -- roberteleejr Check the following document on general migration recommendations; http://wiki.novell.com/index.php/Migration_W...

Migration from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 #2
If I use Novell's migration utility to migrate froma Netware 5.0 server to a new Netware 6.5 server will it just copy everything or will it move it? I would like to know if everything does not go correctly will I still be able to use my Netware 5.0 server? , > If I use Novell's migration utility to migrate froma Netware 5.0 server > to a new Netware 6.5 server will it just copy everything or will it move > it? I would like to know if everything does not go correctly will I > still be able to use my Netware 5.0 server? Copy. Please see the migration wizar...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 eDirectory failed during eDirectory migration
Hello, Does anyone have a recommendation for fixing a failed eDirectory Acrross the wire migration? The file migration went fine, the backup of trustess went fine. During the eDirectory migration when it downed the source server and tried to finish up with the destination server it did not complete. It told me to copy the autoexec.mig to autoexec.ncg if it did not complete. It also had some other files to copy over as well, but I don't know what they are. Help In what state server stays? Can you get it up and running that you could run commands like dsrepair? I run i...

Web resources about - Netware Small Business 6.5 migration from Small Business 5.0 - novell.netware.6x.install

Migration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bacterium in Otzi the Iceman's stomach provides human migration clues
An insight into the peopling of Europe has emerged from an unlikely source: the stomach contents of a 5300-year-old body pulled from a thawing ...

Danger ahead: migration, climate top risks for Davos leaders
But China's turbulent markets, a tumbling oil price and Middle East tensions are likely to dominate corridor conversations at the World Economic ...

Sydney Festival review: The Migration's brilliance undermined by flawed sound
Australian jazz made a welcome return to Sydney Festival with the premiere of Stu Hunter's new suite.

Is Apple really building an iOS to Android migration tool?
Apple is rumored to be working on a tool that will make it easier for iOS users to migrate to Android, following pressure from major European ...

PAUL RYAN WHINES: Cruz and Sessions Lying About Omnibus Funding New Wave of Muslim Migration
... as “a great victory for the principles Democrats stand for.” Ryan specifically condemned what he termed “hyperbole” surrounding immigration ...

Website migration guide: a Google Analytics & Tag Manager checklist
Hopping on the bandwagon started by Stephen Kenwright’s blog post on website migration for SEO . From that you know that if a site migration ...

Austrian Bank Shuts Down Account of Anti-Mass Migration Group
Major Austrian bank Erste Bank has shut down the account of the Austrian Identitarian movement according to a press release from the activist ...

Sex assaults inflame Germany’s migration battle
Scores of alleged sexual assaults against German women have added another dimension to the country’ s fraught debate over migration. The FT reports. ...

Apple iOS 9.3 download and the mystery of Android migration
The Apple iOS 9.3 download is now available (a beta, natch). Richi rounds up the interesting features, but also ponders the rumor that Cupertino ...