Netware 6.5 SP7 Server install problem

Have following problem on install of the operating sys. , on a Power
Edge 2900.

Installing the software, the server crashes when reach the following
point in the install.

When the install asks for the IP address ; I have clicked the IP box on
the software install screen of netware , and it crashes the server ?

This happened twice, at the same time and place in the install.?

Just checking the box , did it. The IP box.

Seems too be a conflict with the NIC on the motherboard of the server?

Hardware problem, drivers, or software?

Any suggestions?

I have asked Dell too send out a new motherboard

--
jselisker

jselisker

Jselisker,
> When the install asks for the IP address ; I have clicked the IP box on
> the software install screen of netware , and it crashes the server ?

Crashes how? Ie does it hang or do you get an abend?

- Anders Gustafsson  (Sysop)
  The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)

  Discover the Novell forums at http://forums.novell.com

Novell does not monitor these forums officially.
http://support.novell.com/enhancement

0
Anders
11/10/2008 6:43:39 AM
What lan driver does that server use? If it's BX2.lan, some versions are
known for triggering abends. Although not usually during the install.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
ataubman

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/11/2008 3:26:02 AM
jselisker;1677422 Wrote:

I am not sure what the difference between a crash and a abend;, but the
monitor goes blank , the keyboard is non reponsive and the mouse does
not work

No cursor either.

--

jselisker;1677423 Wrote:
> I am not sure what the difference between a crash and a abend;, but the
> monitor goes blank , the keyboard is non reponsive and the mouse does
> not work
>
> No cursor either.

An abend has a screen announcing that an error occured, and there is
also an entry made in the abend log.  Sometimes an automatic reboot
tells you that an abend occurred.

What you have is, informally, a hung system.  But sometimes this is
normal behaviour that just takes unusually long ... how long have you
waited to see if the hang resolves itself and the system continues?

Are you plugged into a live network?  If so, how big?

/dps

--
snidelydev
snidelydev's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=294
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
snidelydev
11/11/2008 10:06:02 PM
ataubman;1677321 Wrote:
> What lan driver does that server use? If it's BX2.lan, some versions are
> known for triggering abends. Although not usually during the install.

During the Netware install it is specifying the BX2.lan driver. Whether
or not this is the right driver, I really dont know. I have specified
the same driver twice and it hangs on the same point of the ip screen.

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/12/2008 10:56:02 PM
The install hangs and just stops. It does not recover from it and it
does not reboot. It just sits there.

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/12/2008 10:56:02 PM
If it specifies that driver it is the right one for the card you have;
but the version in SP7 is faulty. But I'm not confident that is your
problem, as I said it usually doesn't cause abends at install time, that
I've heard.

Is the card plugged into a network as you install? It should be.

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
ataubman
11/13/2008 12:16:02 AM
Andrew,

ataubman wrote:

> If it specifies that driver it is the right one for the card you have;
> but the version in SP7 is faulty.

Quite the opposite. The version in SP7 is currently the best one publicy
available. Later version from the HW vendors are seriously broken.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

jselisker wrote:

> Just checking the box , did it. The IP box.

Try this: Don't check the IP box, but first enter all the IP address
information. Only after that is filled, check the box. Does it work
then?

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/13/2008 12:22:33 AM
mrosen;1679088 Wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> ataubman wrote:
> >
> > If it specifies that driver it is the right one for the card you
> have;
> > but the version in SP7 is faulty.
>
> Quite the opposite. The version in SP7 is currently the best one
> publicy
> available. Later version from the HW vendors are seriously broken.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)The only good one is 4.42 which AFAIK is only available from Novell
Technical Services. The one in SP7 is the best of the publicly available
ones as you say, but is still broken :)

--
Andrew C Taubman
Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
http://forums.novell.com/

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
ataubman
11/13/2008 10:36:02 PM
Andrew,

ataubman wrote:
> The only good one is 4.42 which AFAIK is only available from Novell
> Technical Services. The one in SP7 is the best of the publicly available
> ones as you say, but is still broken :)

And I guess I disagree again. 4.42 still has issues, so I'd say that,
and 3.41 from SP7 are on par. Anything between these two is unuseable.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
0
Massimo
11/13/2008 11:13:25 PM
jselisker;1676701 Wrote:
> Have following problem on install of the operating sys. , on a Power
> Edge 2900.
>
> Installing the software, the server crashes when reach the following
> point in the install.
>
> When the install asks for the IP address ; I have clicked the IP box on
> the software install screen of netware , and it crashes the server ?
>
> This happened twice, at the same time and place in the install.?
>
> Just checking the box , did it. The IP box.
>
> Seems too be a conflict with the NIC on the motherboard of the server?
>
> Hardware problem, drivers, or software?
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I have asked Dell too send out a new motherboard

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/14/2008 1:26:02 AM
ataubman;1679078 Wrote:
> If it specifies that driver it is the right one for the card you have;
> but the version in SP7 is faulty. But I'm not confident that is your
> problem, as I said it usually doesn't cause abends at install time, that
> I've heard.
>
> Is the card plugged into a network as you install? It should be.

Yes, it is plugged in a network.

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/14/2008 1:36:01 AM
mrosen;1679089 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> jselisker wrote:
> >
> > Just checking the box , did it. The IP box.
>
> Try this: Don't check the IP box, but first enter all the IP address
> information. Only after that is filled, check the box. Does it work
> then?
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

We got it working finally, at least we proceeded thru the IP screen and
finished loading the software.

There seems too be a lot of problems with the Broadcom 5708 Network
cards that are installed on the Dell Poweredge 2900 servers.

We used the dell version of the BX2 drivers from their web site and
installed it on the Server instead of the server supplied by Novell on
sp 7.

That enabled us too continue forword.

The only problem we have currently is that when we down the server
after loading the Novell 6.5 , it does not take us out too C:/Sever ,
but it hangs up
similiar too what it what doing on the install.

Any suggestions?

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker
11/14/2008 1:46:02 AM
mrosen;1679088 Wrote:
> Andrew,
>
> ataubman wrote:
> >
> > If it specifies that driver it is the right one for the card you
> have;
> > but the version in SP7 is faulty.
>
> Quite the opposite. The version in SP7 is currently the best one
> publicy
> available. Later version from the HW vendors are seriously broken.
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

I agree with you , at least in regards too the Broadcom 5708 network
cards installed on the 2900

See my post , about installing the drivers from Dell , and continuing
forward in the installation.

--

mrosen;1679089 Wrote:
> Hi,
>
> jselisker wrote:
> >
> > Just checking the box , did it. The IP box.
>
> Try this: Don't check the IP box, but first enter all the IP address
> information. Only after that is filled, check the box. Does it work
> then?
>
> CU,
> --
> Massimo Rosen
> Novell Product Support Forum Sysop
> No emails please!
> 'Untitled Document' (http://www.cfc-it.de)

I did not try what you said, see post where we tried another driver
from Dell

--
jselisker
jselisker's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=36272
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=350286

0
jselisker

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

installing netware 6.5 servers into a exisiting netware 5 tree.
Currently have Netware 5.0 Servers sp4 and some sp5 We intend to install two new cluster servers running the latest version so would like to install two 6.5 Netware Servers which includes a 2 node cluster. Is it possible to install netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 network. Also we currently are running a 2 node cluster on netware 5 running the first ver of cluster servers 1.0. We found that this version wouldnt support our subnet mask of 255.255.240.0 but only the default one 255.255.255.0. Can the new version of cluster services support 255.255.240.0 Regards. &g...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers into a existing Netware 5 environment
We currently have a Netware 5 environment using sp4/sp5 We also have the original cluster services 1.01 running under netware 5. We intend to install a new SAN which will be clustered using 2 new Netware 6.5 Servers. What is the best approach to installing Netware 6.5 in our current environment, should I install the new Netware 6.5 Servers into a new tree, but then how will they communicate with the exisiting Netware 5 Servers. Can I install the Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting 5 environment and then in the future upgrade the current 5 Servers. Thankyou and best regards ...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Install Netware 6.5 SP5 Server in the Netware 6.0 SP5 Tree
Good day ! There is a little problem . We have fully functional tree Netware 6.0SP5 on a four servers (it works VERY FINE through 3 years).All servers are Dell PE2600. None of postfixes neither patches released after SP5 not installed - pure SP5 only. One weeks ago we've got a new server - Dell PE 1950 8))) specially for some tasks, and we found that NW 6.0 NOT APPLICABLE for this type PE.Well, we have licensed 6.5 and we thought about tree upgrade, but it was planned as "not-in-this-month" task. And now I think ,that acceptable decision for us will - to instal...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Installing netware 6 servers in a netware 5 network
We currently have a netware 5 netware using cluster services 1(first ver) on 2 of the netware 5 servers. We want to install a new san and a cluster for it using two netware 6 servers clustered using the newer cluster services which is include with netware 6. What do I need to consider if i want to install these two netware 6 servers into our current netware 5 network Is it possible or should I install the netware 6 servers into a new tree. Appreciating ant help given Regards. phil.bec@culture.gov.uk, Assuming you want to add two new NW 6.x servers to the network, and leave...

NetWare 6.5 SP8 co-exist with NetWare 6.5 SP7 servers?
I really don't want to install SP8 on the NetWare server as I am working on moving Netware to OES Linux. However, I need to upgrade to GroupWise 8 soon so plan to upgrade to GroupWise 8 on NetWare server which requires NW6.5SP8. All other 10 NetWare servers are on version 6.5 SP7 and I only intend to upgrade one server to NetWare 6.5 SP8. Does anyone see issue with that? I assume eDirectory does not chance with the installation of SP8. I am running eDirectory v 8.7.3.0. Regards Andy -- andyj2009 -----------------------------------------------------------------------...

Problem installing Netware 6.5 sp7 ol dvd
Hi, Did anyone successful install netware 6.5 with sp7 from the dvd media? I started the installation and when it got to load the drivers and it failed with a error message "No CD-ROM device was detected in this system" Any clues? Thanks, Steve -- spham68 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Spham68, > I started the installation and when it got to load the drivers and it > failed with a error message "No CD-ROM device was detected in this > system" > > Any clues? > Sure, make sure t...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Web resources about - Netware 6.5 SP7 Server install problem - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ