Netware 6.0 vs Netware 6.5

I am planning on upgrading my Netware 5.1 server to boost performance.

I own Netware 6, but my subscription advantage ran out before I could
get
Netware 6.5.    Are there any major flaws with Netware 6.0?

I have one server running Netware 5.1 with eDir 85.01.   All it does
is
handle website authentication via LDAP to NDS.   It is very busy and
the
CPU redlines most of the time.    I am beefing up with new hardware
and
want to upgrade it to Netware 6 as well.

thanks,

0
matt

matt.pittman@irwinmortgage.com wrote:

> I am planning on upgrading my Netware 5.1 server to boost
performance.

Interesting idea. What makes you believe any newer OS is actually
fater
than the older one?

> I own Netware 6, but my subscription advantage ran out before I
could get
> Netware 6.5.    Are there any major flaws with Netware 6.0?

Huh? Netwrae 6.5 isn't released yet, and won't be before September
probably.

> I have one server running Netware 5.1 with eDir 85.01.   All it does
is
> handle website authentication via LDAP to NDS.   It is very busy and
the
> CPU redlines most of the time.

In that case you should probably first try edir 8.6 instead of 8.5.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Product Support Forum Sysop

0
Massimo
5/16/2003 11:40:51 PM
On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:40:51 GMT, Massimo Rosen
<mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>matt.pittman@irwinmortgage.com wrote:
>>
>> I am planning on upgrading my Netware 5.1 server to boost
performance.

>Interesting idea. What makes you believe any newer OS is actually
fater
>than the older one?

Well Windoze 2003 is recorded as being 20% faster than 2000.  But
those numbers
might be a little skewed :-)

>> I own Netware 6, but my subscription advantage ran out before I
could get
>> Netware 6.5.    Are there any major flaws with Netware 6.0?
>
>Huh? Netwrae 6.5 isn't released yet, and won't be before September
>probably.
>
>> I have one server running Netware 5.1 with eDir 85.01.   All it
does is
>> handle website authentication via LDAP to NDS.   It is very busy
and the
>> CPU redlines most of the time.
>
>In that case you should probably first try edir 8.6 instead of 8.5.

Tim

No Direct e-Mail Please!
--
****************
Tim Heywood

In theory, practice and theory are the same,
In practice they are different!

0
Tim
5/17/2003 10:07:57 AM
Tim Heywood (NSC Sysop),
> Well Windoze 2003 is recorded as being 20% faster than 2000.  But
those numbers
> might be a little skewed :-)

You mean that if w2k crashes onve a week, 2003 crashes every five
days? ;)

- Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE5, ASE
  NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com)
  Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20)
  Using VA 4.52 build 277 (32-bit) on Windows 2000 build 2195

0
AndersG
5/17/2003 7:54:38 PM

>You mean that if w2k crashes onve a week, 2003 crashes every five
days? ;)

Scandinavian math alert

168 hours -- W2K
 33.6 hours (20%)

134.4 hours W2003K -- that would be 5.6 days, not 5.0 days.  We must
be
precise -- oh, that's Massimo's job <g>

Please, no email for newsgroup questions.

Barry Schnur
Novell Product Support Forums Sysop

Please post replies ONLY via the Newsgroup

0
Barry
5/17/2003 8:04:49 PM
Tim,

"Tim Heywood (NSC Sysop)" wrote:

> On Fri, 16 May 2003 23:40:51 GMT, Massimo Rosen
<mrosenno@spamcfc-it.de> wrote:

> >Hi,
> >
> >matt.pittman@irwinmortgage.com wrote:
> >>
> >> I am planning on upgrading my Netware 5.1 server to boost
performance.

> >Interesting idea. What makes you believe any newer OS is actually
fater

^^^
> >than the older one?
>
> Well Windoze 2003 is recorded as being 20% faster than 2000.  But
those numbers
> might be a little skewed :-)

I like my own typo in that regard. :-)

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de

0
Massimo

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

Install Netware 6.5 SP5 Server in the Netware 6.0 SP5 Tree
Good day ! There is a little problem . We have fully functional tree Netware 6.0SP5 on a four servers (it works VERY FINE through 3 years).All servers are Dell PE2600. None of postfixes neither patches released after SP5 not installed - pure SP5 only. One weeks ago we've got a new server - Dell PE 1950 8))) specially for some tasks, and we found that NW 6.0 NOT APPLICABLE for this type PE.Well, we have licensed 6.5 and we thought about tree upgrade, but it was planned as "not-in-this-month" task. And now I think ,that acceptable decision for us will - to instal...

Mixing Netware 6.0 and Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a site that has a mix of Netware 6.0 and Netware 4.11. The Netware 6 has been in place for about a year. They want to replace the three older netwar 4.11 boxes with new hardware and Netware across the wire migrations. I wanted to know if there are any problems introducing netware 6.5 into the exisitng Netware 6 environment. Can anyone shed some light on this? I believe the Directory Services is at DS 6.17. thank you rick rbenard@cbetech.com, Be sure to upgrade the 4.11 server with ds621.exe and enable the Auxiliary Class support on these boxes. That will...

Upgrade from Netware 6.0 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5. I have link to go to download a 21KB zip file. Is that all that I need to do the upgrade or is there something else that I have to get? Do I just burn these files to a CD and run it, to perform the upgrade? Any help would be good. Thanks Jason Roggentien Ah -- no -- it is quite a bit more complicated than that. 1) Do you have a license for 6.5? 2) What service pack do you have installed on the 6.0 server? 3) Is the intent to do this as an in place upgrade? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop > Ah -- ...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Netware 6.0 and Netware 6.5 Cluster Coexist
--____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can Netware 6.0 (Cluster services 1.6) and Netware 6.5 cluster services = coexist in the same cluster..? Thanks Dean --____LPHMXLZMXOMRLFKSEJCW____ Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____" --____WHPEPQYSAQXEHDGESJXG____ Content-Type: text/html; charset=windows-1252 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charset=3D...

Netware 6.5 Server in a Netware 6.0 Tree
Created a Netware OES server and placed in a predominantly 6.0 Tree with appropriate 6.0 user licenses. My question is "what do I need to do to begin using it as a resource in that tree?" Will all users be able to access the 6.5 server as it stands? On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:04:25 GMT, tomm@juice4u.com wrote: >Created a Netware OES server and placed in a predominantly 6.0 Tree with >appropriate 6.0 user licenses. My question is "what do I need to do to >begin using it as a resource in that tree?" > >Will all users be able to access the 6.5 server a...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #2
We currently have a Netware 5.0 network running sp4. Included in this is a 2 server netware 5 cluster running the original 1.0 cluster services. We intend to install another SAN which will be a 2 server Netware 6.5 cluster. Is it ok to install netware 6.5 with exisiting Netware5 Servers? I believe we need to apply the nwsp56a patch to all our Netware 5 Server first. is this correct?. Do you apply it to the master first as this is a cluster server? Also I am concerned that when I apply the nw5sp6a patch to our exisiting Netware 5 Cluster servers it will cause problems with them...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network #3
Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree Regards. Duplicate, answered above. PHIL.BEC@CULTURE.GOV.UK wrote: > > Sure, What do i need to do to make my Netware 5.0 SP4 Server > ready for install og Netware 6.5 Server into the exisiting Netware 5 tree > Regards. -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

Installing Netware 6.5 Servers in a existing Netware 5.0 network
I need to install two new Netware 6.5 Servers into my current Netware 5.0 network with Service packs 4/5. What updates do I need to apply to the Netware 5.0 Servers and do I download the nw65sp1b overlay file only and use that to run deployment manager, or do I have to install sp1 first. Also can you purchase nw65 licenses seperately Thanking you in advance for help given. Regards. As a minimum the 5.0 servers need nw50sp6a, os5pt2a.exe, wsock4f.exe, flsysft3.exe, ts524o.exe, and Set client file caching enabled=Off. The DS version would preferably be edir851.exe plus edir8530.e...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
We would like to upgrade our Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.5, and I am looking for a plan of attack. Attempts thus far have failed: We have 5.0 on a 38G drive partitioned into several volumes, with another 38G partitioned into a couple of volumes available for other data, and an unused 8G drive. Everything is backed up to tape. We use the server to run Groupwise, and the Netscape enterprise web server also. If I boot the 6.5CD from DOS, it will let me install a new 6.5 server. Not what I want. If I mount it in NW5.0, and use the GUI to install it, it fails with...

Web resources about - Netware 6.0 vs Netware 6.5 - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ