Netware 6 to Netware 6.5 license upgrade

I have three Netware 6 servers and 300 NW6 user licences. I bought 300 NW6.5
user licences upgrade. After I will upgrade one server to NW6.5 how should I
proceed with client upgrade licences to insure that users can communicate
with all servers?
Thanks,
Nathan

0
Nathan

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 20:42:51 GMT, "Nathan Kaplan"
<nkaplan@chacinc.com> wrote:

>I have three Netware 6 servers and 300 NW6 user licences. I bought 300 NW6.5
>user licences upgrade. After I will upgrade one server to NW6.5 how should I
>proceed with client upgrade licences to insure that users can communicate
>with all servers?

Install the NW 6.5 user licenses in or above the highest container
holding user objects.  Do not assign the user licenses to any server.

---------------
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
Sorry, no replies to e-mail responses

"If something is so complicated that you can't
explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not
worth knowing anyway."  Bill Waterson
0
Donald
10/8/2004 12:56:59 AM
Assuming you have one site - Install all users licenses and the one
server license in the O= container.  Can be done via iManager or
NWAdmin.

Servers and users look UP the tree for a license.  NOT across
containers.

--
Timothy Leerhoff
Principal Consultant

Remember:
"Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you
are probably right."

All opinions expressed are mine alone.
0
Timothy
10/8/2004 1:18:36 AM
Guys,
My question is 6.5 connection license backward compatible with NW6. I will
have one NW6.5 and two NW6 servers for a few months. Will NW6 servers be
accessible with NW6.5 connection license?
Thanks,
Nathan

"Timothy Leerhoff" <tleerhoffNO@SPAMmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
> Assuming you have one site - Install all users licenses and the one
> server license in the O= container.  Can be done via iManager or
> NWAdmin.
>
> Servers and users look UP the tree for a license.  NOT across
> containers.
>
> --
> Timothy Leerhoff
> Principal Consultant
> Independant Experts
> Novell Support Forums Volenteer Sysop
>
> Remember:
> "Whether you think you can do something or you think you cannot, you
> are probably right."
>
> All opinions expressed are mine alone.

0
Nathan
10/8/2004 12:32:43 PM
On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:32:43 GMT, "Nathan Kaplan"
<nkaplan@chacinc.com> wrote:

>My question is 6.5 connection license backward compatible with NW6. I will
>have one NW6.5 and two NW6 servers for a few months. Will NW6 servers be
>accessible with NW6.5 connection license?

No.  But if you can have both 6.0 and 6.5 server licenses in the tree.

---------------
Donald Albury
Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
Sorry, no replies to e-mail responses

"If something is so complicated that you can't
explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not
worth knowing anyway."  Bill Waterson
0
Donald
10/8/2004 1:04:28 PM
Thanks for your help.
I think for many customers it,s a major inconvinience during the upgrade.
regards,
Nathan

"Donald Albury" <dalbury@not.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:32:43 GMT, "Nathan Kaplan"
> <nkaplan@chacinc.com> wrote:
>
> >My question is 6.5 connection license backward compatible with NW6. I
will
> >have one NW6.5 and two NW6 servers for a few months. Will NW6 servers be
> >accessible with NW6.5 connection license?
>
> No.  But if you can have both 6.0 and 6.5 server licenses in the tree.
>
> ---------------
> Donald Albury
> Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp
> Sorry, no replies to e-mail responses
>
> "If something is so complicated that you can't
> explain it in 10 seconds, then it's probably not
> worth knowing anyway."  Bill Waterson

0
Nathan
10/8/2004 2:05:17 PM
Not really, I'm still running a mix of NW6 and 6.5 servers here, both
sets of licenses have been installed, accessing a 6.5 server checks one
set of licenses, accessing a 6.0 server merely checks the other pool of
licenses that you already have working

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

"Dave Parkes" <Dave@Norgren.co.uk> wrote in message
> Not really, I'm still running a mix of NW6 and 6.5 servers here, both
> sets of licenses have been installed, accessing a 6.5 server checks one
> set of licenses, accessing a 6.0 server merely checks the other pool of
> licenses that you already have working
>
> Cheers Dave
>

> --
>
> Dave Parkes [NSCS]
> Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/

0
Nathan
10/8/2004 6:58:31 PM
You still have the NW6 licenses locked into the tree, you ALSO have the
300 NW6.5 licenses, so in essence you have 600 licenses, split into 2
pools by OS. Believe me, it isn't a problem for the two sets of
licenses to coexist in the tree

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
10/9/2004 9:50:21 AM
> You still have the NW6 licenses locked into the tree, you ALSO have the
> 300 NW6.5 licenses, so in essence you have 600 licenses, split into 2
> pools by OS. Believe me, it isn't a problem for the two sets of
> licenses to coexist in the tree

Interesting, this is true even if the 6.5 licenses were purchased as
*upgrade* licenses?

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
10/11/2004 5:22:12 PM
> Certainly is, I'm not converting 8 servers instantly :-), licenses are
> licenses, the upgrade/new is a marketing thing.

I understand the distinction -- and expected this not to be a technical issue
-- just wondered if it was a legal thing -- ie you purchase upgrade licenses
at upgrade license costs, can you retain use of the original licenses at the
same time -- legally?

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
10/11/2004 6:12:48 PM
Right, I understand -- just don't want swarms of lawyers introducing
themselves to you -- would violate the 'be kind to lawyers act' <g>

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

"Barry Schnur" <BSchnur@cox.net> wrote in message
> Right, I understand -- just don't want swarms of lawyers introducing
> themselves to you -- would violate the 'be kind to lawyers act' <g>
>

> --
> Barry Schnur
> Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop

0
Nathan
10/12/2004 2:00:41 PM
They'd need to be having a really quiet day to bother about me :-)

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
10/12/2004 5:07:21 PM
Well, that's what I do here at least, and as the total user population
is still capped, I don't see it as a problem although an overly
enthusiastic lawyer might :-)

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave
10/12/2004 5:08:40 PM
Yes -- not sure of the 'legal licensing' implications -- but there is no
technical constraint.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Cheers Dave

--

Dave Parkes [NSCS]
Occasionally resident at http://support-forums.novell.com/
0
Dave

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Upgrade from Netware 6.0 to Netware 6.5
I am going to upgrade from 6.0 to 6.5. I have link to go to download a 21KB zip file. Is that all that I need to do the upgrade or is there something else that I have to get? Do I just burn these files to a CD and run it, to perform the upgrade? Any help would be good. Thanks Jason Roggentien Ah -- no -- it is quite a bit more complicated than that. 1) Do you have a license for 6.5? 2) What service pack do you have installed on the 6.0 server? 3) Is the intent to do this as an in place upgrade? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop > Ah -- ...

Using NetWare 6.5 licenses with NetWare 6?
Novell NetWare 6 Support Pack Revision 04 (C) Copyright 1983-2003 Novell Inc. All Rights Reserv Server Version 5.60.04 December 12, 2003 Novell eDirectory Version 8.6.2 SMP NDS Version 10350.30 December 15, 2003 Server License: Novell NetWare 6 Server 600 SN:301453 User Licenses: Novell NetWare 6 User 600 (Hard Stop) -------------- I've added 50 NetWare 6.5 & previous licenses. These new licenses are not being issued. All license certificates have been assigned to...

Inplace Rolling upgrade from NetWare 6 SP4 with Clustering 1.6 to NetWare 6.5 SP2
Hello All, We have a Netware 6.5 sp4 Cluster with cluster services 1.6. We want to do a rolling upgrade of the system. Could anyone point me to the right place so I can do this correctly or give me some advice. Thanks Colin On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:15:08 +0000, colinb wrote: Take a look at TID 10094313 and be sure to the read the NW 6.5 documentation. Also don't forget to use the Deployment Manager off the root of the NW 6.5 OS install CD to prepare your environment for the new versions of eDir 8.7 and NCS 1.7 -- //Niclas Ekstedt _________________________________...

NetWare 6.5 User Licenses in a NetWare 6 tree
Never heard of that one before, but the consulting firm I work for was told by a Novell sales rep that NetWare 6.5 user licenses will work in a NetWare 6 tree. I installed them in the same container as my other licenses. They, of course, created a new license container to hold them. It has been three weeks and not a single license has been consumed. Looking at the other licenses, 2 more than the installed amount are in use. To me it seems that the clients or NLS cannot retrieve one of those new licenses. Has anyone heard of this before? Or was the boss taken for a ride on this o...

upgrade Netware 6 SP5 to Netware 6.5 SP5
We want to update a Netware 6 server to Netware 6.5 SP5. The server is running: eguide 2.1.0 NDPS 3.0.5 File services Named $ DHCP 1.2.0 Master server (ROOT-replica) Are there any special steps to take, for updating the Eguide and the NDPS services, or is this migrated by the upgrade process automatically? nospammail@atmyaddress.com wrote: > for updating the Eguide and the NDPS > services, NDPS will get the new NLM's - don't know about eGuide. Make sure you put the NetWare 6.5 OS CD in a workstation and run the deployment manager before doing the upg...

Netware 6.5 Licenses on Netware 5
Hi, We had the need to add 5 user licenses to our Netware 5 server. We knew these were no longer available but were informed that Netware 6.5 licenses are backwardly computable. We purchased an additional 5 Netware 6.5 user licenses and added them to our tree using NWadmin. I read in various forums that 6.5 user licenses aren't assigned to a server I left it at that. An hour later they were still not being used. It then occurred to me that Netware 5 may not be able to deal with unassigned licenses so I have assigned them to the correct server. Again having left it about an h...

Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I am in the process of upgrading a Netware 5 server to a Netware 6.5 server and have a few questions: 1. I would like to run both the Netware 5 and Netware 6.5 server at the same time on the same network. (Is there a migration tool that will transfer the data only, having different file server names?) 2. By doing the above, and having the NDS replicate to the new Netware 6.5 server, does this cause any problems? (Eventually the Netware 5.0 server will be taken offline) 3. Is there any pdf file or technical docs on upgrading from Netware 5 to Netware 6.5 and what the issues might be?...

Installing first Netware 6.5 server into an all Netware 6 Tree
Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write replice into an all Netware 6 tree. Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is there a edirectory version? any documents on this? > Is there a problem if I install a Netware 6.5 server as a Read/Write > replice into an all Netware 6 tree. > > Will there be any problems installing since it won't be a master. Is > there a edirectory version? any documents on this? Read/write replica of the root partition, or read/write of some other partition? ...

Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Thank you! Mark, > Hi, Does anyone know of any preresequites or concerns of adding new > NetWare 6.5 servers into a tree which only contains two NetWare 6.0 > servers? The NetWare 6.5 servers will be clustered. Run the NWDeploy.exe from the OS CD, run the Extend schema and prepare network options. On Feb 1, 6:09 pm, Hamish <ham...@haitch.net> wrote: > Mark, > &...

Can Netware 6.0 licenses be used on Netware 6.5 ?
Hello, I have currently installed Netware 6.5SP5 on two servers. One is a HP Proliant server. And the other is a backup server. Anyway some one offered me licenses for Netware 6.0 Am wondering if they will work on NW6.5 ?. Apparently they never needed them but I ain't sure they will work. Any help appreciatted Kevin Duplicate post And the answer is no, 6.0 licenses won't work on 6.5. (nor the other way around). -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Kevin as Barry says 6.0 is only good on a 6.0 server. You can have both in the...

Install Netware 6.5 in current Netware 6 for DirXML use?
I would like to install Netware 6.5 in our current NW6.0 environemnt for using the Dirxml starter pack. Any issues such as I have only SP2 on all servers can not go to SP3 at the moment. I know DirxML will require a replica of DirxMl accounts needed so can the two versions of Directory servcies co-exists alright? I would lik eto know if I can simply insert the new NW6.5 into our current tree with out changes to the current NW6 + SP2 environment? Thanks Bradley Bowness, Although SP is recommended, there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. Just be sure to r...

netware 6.0 sp5 to netware 6.5 sp5 upgrade
how can i easily upgrade a netware 6.0 sp5 server to netware 6.5 sp5? kjs@verizon.net wrote: > how can i easily upgrade a netware 6.0 sp5 server to netware 6.5 sp5? Well you got a few options here. You can do a in-place upgrade if you have direct access to the server. If you don't have direct access you can do a across the wire upgrade. If you want to replace your old hardware you can use the migration wizard. -- Cheers, Edward where can i get the migration wizard? > kjs@verizon.net wrote: > > > how can i easily upgrade a netware 6.0 sp5 serve...

Web resources about - Netware 6 to Netware 6.5 license upgrade - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ