NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question

I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network.  They have a main location
with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple
locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which
are all part of the same tree.  They are looking to upgrade to NetWare
6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5.  They are also going to have one new
additional server when they upgrade.  I am wondering which would be
better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and
migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old
servers and rejoin them to the new tree.... OR ... Join the new NetWare
6.5 server to the old tree after preparing it with the proper OS and
edirectory upgrades, then upgrade each individual server to NetWare 6.5.
I am curious which would be best, but also what would be involved with
either scenario....should we choose that path.

Thanks,
Brad
0
bphelps
2/20/2004 5:38:24 PM
📁 novell.netware.6x.install
📃 11229 articles.
⭐ 0 followers.

💬 6 Replies
👁️‍🗨️ 774 Views

>I am wondering which would be better
Define "better" :) ... the second option you mention is vastly easier and
safer.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

0
Andrew
2/22/2004 11:17:28 PM
If the second is vastly safer and easier, what all would be involved.
What steps and order would you reccommend?
Brad
0
bphelps
2/23/2004 4:27:02 PM
The deployment manager that comes with NW 6.5 will tell you if your current
tree is OK to accept 6.5. Use the NW6.5 Sp1a overlay install, available from
the download page on www.novell.com .
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
 http://support.novell.com/forums
 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
2/23/2004 11:45:50 PM
If the tree is ready, or can be made ready by installing neccessary patches ,
(that would just be upgrading service pack to 6 and upgrading edirectory to
8.6 right?) --- If so, they are now using nds 8.82-- watch patches for
edirectory would they need?)
Would you reccommend upgrading existing servers to 6.5 first or installing
new server with 6.5 into tree first.
What steps would you reccomend for transferring files from old primary
server to new primary server?
Thanks for all your help.
Brad
0
bphelps
2/24/2004 3:00:49 PM
Please see my new updated revised post Labeled something like "Help With
Large NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade"
Thanks
Brad
0
bphelps
2/24/2004 4:50:37 PM
You don't need eDir 8.6 before implementing 6.5. Yes, SP6 or SP7 would be
required though.
If you have new hardware to implement at the same time, then yes I'd put 6.5
Sp1a on that first.
Use the Migration Wizard 7.1 for transferring files etc.