NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question

I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network.  They have a main location
with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple
locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which
are all part of the same tree.  They are looking to upgrade to NetWare
6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5.  They are also going to have one new
additional server when they upgrade.  I am wondering which would be
better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and
migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old
servers and rejoin them to the new tree.... OR ... Join the new NetWare
6.5 server to the old tree after preparing it with the proper OS and
edirectory upgrades, then upgrade each individual server to NetWare 6.5.
I am curious which would be best, but also what would be involved with
either scenario....should we choose that path.

Thanks,

Brad
0
bphelps

>I am wondering which would be better

Define "better" :) ... the second option you mention is vastly easier and
safer.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
2/22/2004 11:17:28 PM
If the second is vastly safer and easier, what all would be involved.
What steps and order would you reccommend?

Brad
0
bphelps
2/23/2004 4:27:02 PM
The deployment manager that comes with NW 6.5 will tell you if your current
tree is OK to accept 6.5. Use the NW6.5 Sp1a overlay install, available from
the download page on www.novell.com .
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
 http://support.novell.com/forums

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
2/23/2004 11:45:50 PM
If the tree is ready, or can be made ready by installing neccessary patches ,

(that would just be upgrading service pack to 6 and upgrading edirectory to
8.6 right?) --- If so, they are now using nds 8.82-- watch patches for
edirectory would they need?)

Would you reccommend upgrading existing servers to 6.5 first or installing
new server with 6.5 into tree first.

What steps would you reccomend for transferring files from old primary
server to new primary server?

Thanks for all your help.
Brad
0
bphelps
2/24/2004 3:00:49 PM
Please see my new updated revised post Labeled something like "Help With
Large NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade"

Thanks
Brad
0
bphelps
2/24/2004 4:50:37 PM
You don't need eDir 8.6 before implementing 6.5. Yes, SP6 or SP7 would be
required though.

If you have new hardware to implement at the same time, then yes I'd put 6.5
Sp1a on that first.

Use the Migration Wizard 7.1 for transferring files etc.
--
 Andrew C Taubman
 Novell Support Forums Volunteer SysOp
 http://support.novell.com/forums

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew

Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82 I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1 servers to 6.5. What should I be concerned about? Does this sound like the appropriate path to take? You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no other application installed on the server, use MW7.1. In order to do this make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to the latest available for NW5.1. Get a copy of the tru...

NetWare 5.1 SP5 to NetWare 6.5 upgrade questions
Hello, We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to NetWare 6.5 later this year. We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question. Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to upgrade? And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP? version we should upgrade to? Thanks, Scott Hi Scott, The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level of NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers. Stany. > Hello, > We have plans to upgr...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade EDIR question....
We have a tree of 20 servers all at NW 5.1, sp4 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3). We are getting ready to begin upgrades of all the servers to NW 6.5 sp1.1. Each server will have nw51sp6 applied just prior to the upgrade. The process will take 10 - 12 weeks to upgrade all of the servers. My question: Will we experience problems between servers still at NW 5.1 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3) and the new servers at NW 6.5 with edir 8.7.3? Will they cooexist in a fairly stable manner until all upgrades are complete? We prefer not to travel to all locations just to update edir.... THANKS! Rick. R ...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Upgrading a Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5
I am part of a large tree. Before starting upgrade of Netware 5.1 server to Netware 6.5 I ran dsrepair and received no errors. During the Health check of the upgrade I received two warnings. They are Warning extend schema and repair schema. All the primary servers in the tree have already been upgraded to Netware 6.5. The admin of the primary servers control extend the schema. I am trying to find out if the warnings I received is something they need to repair or is there something else I need to do on my own server? I would appreciated any help I can get. Thanks Michel...

Web resources about - NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question - novell.netware.6x.install

Ryde council to tackle republic question
Ryde council will vote on Tuesday whether to formally support the Australian Republican Movement and use council resources to support its campaigns. ...

Martin Place siege: disturbing questions linger a year on
People of all backgrounds left bouquets both as a mark of respect and a signal that we as a peaceful, tolerant nation will not bow to violence. ...

Mother of Mildura toddler found dead in roof to face questions about previous family violence
Mother of dead toddler to be asked about any family violence that previously occurred in her home.

The Paris climate conundrum — three facts and a question, by @Gaius_Publius
The Paris climate conundrum — three facts and a question by Gaius Publius He's been to London and to Gay Paree. A fine live performance ( source ...

The Paris Climate Conundrum — Three Facts & A Question
He's been to London and to Gay Paree. A fine live performance ( source ) by Gaius Publius I'll publish a fuller analysis of the Paris climate ...

New dog flu strain raises vaccine questions - Videos - CBS News
A new strain of canine influenza that started last spring is spreading fast and proving fatal for some dogs. While there is a vaccine to fight ...

Ask Me Anything: Question 5
This time in my Ask Me Anything series , I got a tough question about what kind of institutions we need to provide fairness in the age of the ...

Two cities, two shootings, one question: Why?
Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies murdered 28-year-old Nicholas Robinson on Saturday, December 12. Like the murder of Mario Woods by San ...

Seven Essential Questions about Big Bang Disruption
When innovations enter the market both better and cheaper than current products, Big Bang Disruption is imminent. Seven ways business leaders ...