NetWare 5.1 SP5 to NetWare 6.5 upgrade questions

Hello,
 We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to NetWare
6.5 later this year.  We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to
Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question.

Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to
upgrade?  And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP?
version we should upgrade to?

Thanks,
Scott
0
scottb

Hi Scott,

The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level of
NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers.

Stany.

> Hello,
>  We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to NetWare
> 6.5 later this year.  We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to
> Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question.
>
> Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to
> upgrade?  And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP?
> version we should upgrade to?
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

0
stany_wyrzykowski
5/14/2004 7:15:55 PM
Why must I upgrade 16 server to NW51SP7 just to upgrade to Netware 6.5?
Seem's like alot of extra work.  Does SP7 do something with Edir to
upgrade it?
Scott
> Hi Scott,
>
> The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level
of
> NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers.
>
> Stany.
>
> > Hello,
> >  We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to
NetWare
> > 6.5 later this year.  We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to
> > Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question.
> >
> > Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to
> > upgrade?  And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP?
> > version we should upgrade to?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scott

0
scottb
5/17/2004 7:42:13 PM
I understand that SP6 is minimum recommended support pack.

SP7 is more stable, so go with that.

I am looking at a Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 update this summer.

Linda

<scottb@clackamas.edu> wrote in message
> Why must I upgrade 16 server to NW51SP7 just to upgrade to Netware 6.5?
> Seem's like alot of extra work.  Does SP7 do something with Edir to
> upgrade it?
> Scott
> > Hi Scott,
> >
> > The first task is to install NW51SP7 and verify to have the same level
> of
> > NICI (56/128 bits) and eDir on all servers.
> >
> > Stany.
> >
> > > Hello,
> > >  We have plans to upgrade from NetWare 5.1 (Edir 8.6.2 SP3) to
> NetWare
> > > 6.5 later this year.  We have to consider the NFS 3.0 replacement to
> > > Native File Access on one server, and then comes my next question.
> > >
> > > Should we/must we upgrade our Edirectory from 8.6.2 to 8.7.x prior to
> > > upgrade?  And what is the current recommended Edirectory 8.7.x SP?
> > > version we should upgrade to?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Scott

0
Linda

Questions on upgrading from Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
We are currently running Netware 5.1sp5 ds 8 version 8.82 I want to install a clean netware 6.5 server and make it the Master replica, following with an inplace upgrade of six read\write netware 5.1 servers to 6.5. What should I be concerned about? Does this sound like the appropriate path to take? You can install the NW6.5 server as a Pre-Migration server, there will be no other application installed on the server, use MW7.1. In order to do this make sure all you other servers have eDir8.7.3 install and update the SP to the latest available for NW5.1. Get a copy of the tru...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

NetWare 5.1 to NetWare 6.5 Upgrade Question
I have a customer with a NetWare 5.1 Network. They have a main location with with their primary NetWare 5.1 server, then they have multiple locations which also have their own individual NetWare 5.1 servers which are all part of the same tree. They are looking to upgrade to NetWare 6.5 and also install GroupWise 6.5. They are also going to have one new additional server when they upgrade. I am wondering which would be better, to start a new tree on the new server machine and migrate/recreate everything in the tree and somehow unjoin the old servers and rejoin them to the ne...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade EDIR question....
We have a tree of 20 servers all at NW 5.1, sp4 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3). We are getting ready to begin upgrades of all the servers to NW 6.5 sp1.1. Each server will have nw51sp6 applied just prior to the upgrade. The process will take 10 - 12 weeks to upgrade all of the servers. My question: Will we experience problems between servers still at NW 5.1 with edir 8.6.2 (sp3) and the new servers at NW 6.5 with edir 8.7.3? Will they cooexist in a fairly stable manner until all upgrades are complete? We prefer not to travel to all locations just to update edir.... THANKS! Rick. R ...

Upgrade from NetWare 5.1 SP8 to NetWare 6.5 SP5
Hello folks, we have one single NetWare 5.1 SP8 server upgraded to NetWare 6.5 SP5 but one error was shown during this procedure. The following box appeared telling us: Windows: SNMP Object Creation Error Contents: An error was encountered while creating the eDirectory SNMP objects. The error returned was -625. Please see the readme for instructions on how to perform this task manually. Couldn't find a suitable readme but I have found a documentation how to create the SNMP group object under NetWare. The command SNMPINST.NLM -c <AdminContext> &l...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

Upgrade Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5
I have Netware 5.1 SP7 & eDirectory 8.7.03 with 4 servers. I would like to upgrade all servers to Netware 6.5 but only 3 can be upgraded at the same time as 1 server is in a remote office. Should I upgrade the master server in the root partition first? Also, will the upgrade change the eDirectory version? Should I upgrade to eDirectory 8.7.3.3 immediately after the Netware 6.5 upgrade? Please help. Thanks Che From the eDirectory point of view, your servers are already up to date. So an upgrade to NW 6.5 will not upgrade your eDirectory and as such will not create comp...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade
I currently have 2 netware 5.1 servers and want to upgrade to netware 6.5. The Netware 5.1 servers are running NDS 7.47. Should I upgrade to edir on the netware 5.1 servers before the migration, if so what are the steps, as I read the update on the netware 5.1 download section that said that the edir update cannot be applied to a 5.1 server running NDS 7.x or can I use NDS 7.47 on the 5.1 server during the migration process? Thanks John, It appears that in the past few days you have not received a response to your posting. That concerns us, and has triggered this automated...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Netware 5.1 to Netware 6.5 upgrade.
I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to upgrade them to Netware 6.5. I will upgrade one server, then the others will be upgraded in a couple of months. Is it best to upgrade my master replica first so my replica in a mixed environment is a 6.5 server? Or at least make my master replica server whatever server I upgrade to 6.5? If so why? Hi, lanman7777@hotmail.com wrote: > > I have 3 Netware 5.1 servers, sp7, and directory 8.7.3.0. and want to > upgrade them to Netware 6.5. > I will upgrade one server, then the others will be up...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Web resources about - NetWare 5.1 SP5 to NetWare 6.5 upgrade questions - novell.netware.6x.install

Australian scientist Jane Taupin questions Koh Tao death penalty evidence
An Australian forensic scientist has questioned key DNA evidence that led to two migrant workers being sentenced to death for the gruesome murders ...

Perth Scorchers loss raises questions on over-reliance on Marsh, Klinger
The reigning BBL champion Perth Scorchers may have a problem on their hands.

Africa: When the Menstrual Cycle Becomes a Question of Human Rights
Opinion - Any views expressed in this article are those of the author and not of Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Question Of The Day: Worst Craigslist nightmare?
Filed under: Etc. , Used Car Buying Buyers that demand a lifetime warranty. Sellers who lie. Flakes who don't show up. What's your worst car-related ...

iPhone 6s demand called into question as Apple reportedly orders cut back in production
Citing sources familiar with Apple's supply chain, Nikkei is reporting that the company is scaling back iPhone 6s and 6s Plus production by as ...

One SAHM's Answer to the Dreaded Question: 'Do You Work?'
We volunteer at school (but not too much). We get involved with sports (but not too much). We show up at every poetry reading, tipi-making event, ...

'Making a Murderer' lawyers answer 2 burning questions viewers have about the Steven Avery case
Steve Avery's defense attorney Dean Strang and former Calumet County prosecutor Ken Kratz appeared on Fox News to address questions about the ...

Question #5 for 2016: Will the Fed raise rates in 2016, and if so, by how much?
Earlier I posted some questions for next year: Ten Economic Questions for 2016 . I'll try to add some thoughts, and maybe some predictions for ...

Donald Trump: Birther questions about Ted Cruz could be a problem
Republican front-runner suggests citizenship questions about Cruz, who was born in Canada, could hurt GOP