NetWare 5.0 (DS7x) to NetWare 6.5 upgrade

It's been a while since I've upgraded an OS version this old.  Does
anyone know of any gotchas or issues when upgrading across the wire to
new hardware?  Outside of the usual, very latest DS service packs on
the 5.0 server, etc. Does it make sense to upgrade to DS8 and patch
that on the 5.0 box first?  Does it make more sense to install the new
server into the same tree, or start with a temp tree and use the
migration wizard?

Any feedback would be appreciated!

Thanks,
-Greg

--

Using Virtual Access
http://www.soft-shop.com

Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

0
Greg

This is supported using the Migration wizard v. 6.5, or v 7.0

http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/migwiz70/index.html

http://www.novell.com/documentation/lg/migwiz65/index.html

the crux of what the correct preparations are revolve around what
other servers are in the tree, and what participation within the
tree the particular server you have in mind has.

General rules of thumb:

*-patch up to current NOS SP and DS SPs.
*-do a full DS health check on the tree - TID 10060600
*-download the latest MigWiz or ServerCon
*-put the two servers and the ws running MigWiz on the same switch
*-use same protocol on both servers and workstation; unbind the unused
protocol
*-if using IP, make sure SLP is working on both old and new servers
*-plan to redo your CA stuff if you are using any 5.0 cert stuff
(e.g. bordermanager VPN)
* - Avoid replica rings that mix eDir (which is what will be on NW6.5) and
non-edir NDS (DS 7 or earlier).
* - Start at the root of the tree, preferably upgrading the Master of the root
replica first (next preference is a server with a read-write replica of root).
Since the only difference between the master and a read-write is a single
'flag', you can designate a given server that already holds a read-write to
be the master for the upgrade (although I would subsequently upgrade
whatever server originally held Master before I made it Master again).
* - run the least number of versions of eDir or DS in your tree.  So if you
have a bunch of 5.0 servers with varying patch levels, get them all patched
to current prior to introducing yet another version (eDir) into the tree.

If you want to outline some more details of the tree, we'll be happy to
delve into further recommendations/specifics.

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.1.11
0
John
3/9/2004 2:45:06 AM
Thanks John, I also looked at your site and that's a veritable
treasure-trove of useful info!

This specific upgrade will be pretty simple (actually it's two
different customers with almost the same situation):

#1) NetWare 5.0SP6 single-server tree on old hdwe ->  NetWare 6.5.1
single server tree on new hdwe.

#2) NetWare 5.0SP6 single-server tree -> NetWare 6.5.1 on same
hardware.

So #2 will be in-place upgrade, and I'm not thinking that will be too
challenging (correct me if your experience differs..)

With #1 in the past I've installed the new server into the old tree and
then copied the data etc. Across using the consolidation utility.  This
used to work better than the older mig wiz. (Haven't used the mig wiz
since 5.0 came out, so admittedly it should be a lot better now).

So I guess what I'm asking is do I use the mig wiz or consolidation
approach for scenario #1?  Also, other than patching DS 7x current, do
I need to upgrade it to eDir before starting the migration?  In the
past I've been warned by NTS that 5.0 DS7 has "special issues" when
inserting the first eDir server into the tree....  This may be a
non-issue in this case since it's a single server tree.

Many thanks again for your advice....

Greg

--

Greg, Palumbo, CNE wrote:

> So #2 will be in-place upgrade, and I'm not thinking that will be too
> challenging (correct me if your experience differs..)

Note that you can't inplace update 5.0 to 6.5 directly. You will have to
update to wither 5.1 or 6.0 first, then to 6.5.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Novell Support Connection Sysop

Using Virtual Access
http://www.soft-shop.com

Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

0
Greg
3/9/2004 7:08:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment on my site. :o]

> #1) NetWare 5.0SP6 single-server tree on old hdwe ->  NetWare 6.5.1
> single server tree on new hdwe.

Migwiz would be the ideal tool here.  Post migration, run PKIDiag2 and
verify all is OK with your certificate stuff.

http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2967938.htm

> #2) NetWare 5.0SP6 single-server tree -> NetWare 6.5.1 on same
> hardware.

Massimo's already told you about an in-place in that situation. Do you
have any NSS volumes on that server?

John

Novell Product Support Forums SysOp
John's Tips & Links Page:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jstoecker/novell/

#include disclaim.h:
# My opinions are not necessarily those of Novell
# or its employees or even the other forum sysops or regulars.
posted using Xananews 1.16.1.11
0
John
3/9/2004 7:45:44 PM
No NSS volumes on #2.  However, I don't know about #1 and readme for
Migwiz warns about migrating compressed files to NSS vol's on NW65 SP1
without an NSS patch... Any comments on that?

Thanks again,
Greg

--

Using Virtual Access
http://www.soft-shop.com

Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

0
Greg
3/10/2004 3:25:43 PM
Greg-- I am not sure on this, there was a known problem regarding
compression in SP1 for NW 6.5 -- this was corrected in SP1a and was the
reason SP1 was pulled and replaced with SP1a.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--

Using Virtual Access
http://www.soft-shop.com

Sent using Virtual Access 5.51 - download your freeware copy now
http://www.atlantic-coast.com/downloads/vasetup.exe

0
Greg
3/10/2004 6:56:00 PM
Greg, I believe so, then again, I have NEVER enabled compression with NSS
volumes...

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Can one tell me how to upgrade a Netware 5.0 Single Server to a Netware 6.5 Singele Server where the Netware 6.5 Server will be on a new Machine. What are the specials one has to look after? Thak you You should look into Migration Wizard to ease this process. Migration Wizard can be downloaded from http://download.novell.com -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) Having used Migration Wizard 7.1 to migrate 5.0 to 6.5 I cannot recommend that route. I have seen others in these forums have the same problems I saw. A stepped migra...

Upgrade Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Hello, I have a netware 5.0 (no sp) with ds 7.45 on a Compaq Proliant 3000. This server is alone on my tree. I want migrate this server to Netware 6.5 to a Compaq dl 380 G2. What is the best method ? Thanks for answer Fran�ois-Xavier Derveloy France You will need to deploy updates on the 5.0 server prior to running the Migration Wizard. No SP's at all on the 5.0 server? That is rare indeed. Also, how many users on this server and how much data? -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Hello, config.txt give this : Novell NetWare 5.00...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5 upgrade?
I have two servers running Netware 5.0 and one server running Netware 5.1 My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to Netware 6.5 using the migration wizard on one server and have the other servers remain on the network communicating with each other. (i.e. have a 5.0 server co-exist with a nw 6.5 server with no issues with edir/nds?) Or do I have to upgrade from 5.0 to 5.1 then to 6.5? If doing this, will the 5.0 license work for 5.1? As it will be impossible to upgrade all servers from 5.0 to 5.1 at the same time! Thanks John, > My question is, can I upgrade from 5.0 to...

Upgrade from NetWare 5.0 SP6a to NetWare 6.5
Is it possible to do an inplace upgrade from NetWare 5.0 SP6a with NDS version 7.51 to NetWare 6.5, using the Deployment Manager? Thank you in advance for your help. I would not advise it. D/l the 5.1sp7 overlay and migrate to it, then use the mig wiz to move to 6.5. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com No. Upgrading from 5.0 to 6.5 on the same machine is not supported. The installation program will simply refuse the upgrade. If you want to do an in place upgrade to from 5.0 to 6.5, you have to upgrade to 5.1 or 6.0 first and then upgrade to 6.5. In a...

In place upgrade from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
I am looking into doing a inplace upgrade of our Netware 5.0 Server to Netware 6.5 on a Compaq G3 Proliant. What is the best way to do this. Many thanks for any advice. Regards, How many users? -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com ...

Installing Netware 6.5 into a current Netware 5.0 network

Help please- Upgrading from Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
Can you please tell me what issues there are installing 6.5 netware servers into a existing Netware 5.0 network with sp4/5 I believe I need to apply sp6a to each Server but can this be done via Network Deployment Manager or do I have to apply sp6a to each Netware 5.0 in turn from the Server itself. Also do you apply it to the Master first or does it not matter. Regards. > Also to add. I only want to install new Server running Netware 6.5 into my existing Netware 5.0 tree. I dont want to upgrade existing Netware 5.0 to 6.5 only add new 6.5 Server to the existing Net...

netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade
Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? (I want to replace a server) Thanks Kumar On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 02:32:33 GMT, kumars@gotafe.vic.edu.au wrote: >Is there any dsmaint procedure or TID available >for "netware 6.5 to netware 6.5 hardware upgrade"? >(I want to replace a server) The Migration Wizard v. 8 (http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=nMihwfdEES8~) will do this for you. --------------- Donald Albury Novell Product Support Volunteer SysOp Sorry, no replies to e-mail respon...

Netware 5.0 to Netware 6.5
We would like to upgrade our Netware 5.0 server to Netware 6.5, and I am looking for a plan of attack. Attempts thus far have failed: We have 5.0 on a 38G drive partitioned into several volumes, with another 38G partitioned into a couple of volumes available for other data, and an unused 8G drive. Everything is backed up to tape. We use the server to run Groupwise, and the Netscape enterprise web server also. If I boot the 6.5CD from DOS, it will let me install a new 6.5 server. Not what I want. If I mount it in NW5.0, and use the GUI to install it, it fails with...

Web resources about - NetWare 5.0 (DS7x) to NetWare 6.5 upgrade - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ