Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5 how?????

Hello
I need help on how to upgrade Netware 4.1 to Netware 6.5

I installed Netware 4.1 on a single network server with 5 workstations back
in 1995.  Since then I have only had to upgrade some patches to correct for
y2k.  The server has been running great, but now the servers hardware is
giving troulbe.

Thank You
Tom
0
tpcan

How many users?

With <30 or so, I would just do a new install.  You need a fairly
differently configured box to do 6.5
--
Dave Lunn
NSC SysOp

0
Dave
5/1/2004 11:50:09 AM
You can also try checking out the "Netware Migration Wizard" at
http://download.novell.com.

It's nice for moving to new hardware.

Dave Lunn wrote:

> How many users?
>
> With <30 or so, I would just do a new install.  You need a fairly
> differently configured box to do 6.5
> --
> Dave Lunn
> NSC SysOp
> http://support-forums.novell.com

--
Craig Wilson
CNE3, 4, 5 - MCSE - CCNA

Tech Writer - http://www.ithowto.com
(I Peter 4:10)

0
Craig
5/1/2004 2:41:53 PM
you can't go directly from 4.11 to nw 6.5 so just doing a new install
would probably be easiest.

if you have a significant number of user accounts now or stuff in DS
you _need_ to keep that would be cumbersome/difficult/impossible to
re-enter then we can take this further.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels

0
Richard
5/1/2004 3:59:51 PM
Actually, it is even more cumbersome here -- 4.10, not 4.11 -- with 4.11
SP9 and DS 6.21, the deal would be an interim 5.1 move.  But I don't think
you can do that with 4.10.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

Tom

> you can't go directly from 4.11 to nw 6.5 so just doing a new install
> would probably be easiest.
>
> if you have a significant number of user accounts now or stuff in DS
> you _need_ to keep that would be cumbersome/difficult/impossible to
> re-enter then we can take this further.
>

> --
> Cheers!
>     Richard Beels
>     http://www.dsi-consulting.com
>     Collaboration without complication

0
tpcan
5/2/2004 12:18:27 AM
Is your existing client IPX only (I suspect it is), if so, I suspect there
are some configuration steps you need to finish off to get IPX properly set
up on the new server so your client workstation can see the server.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
5/2/2004 6:28:26 AM
are you loading IPX or IP only.  If IP only, it's 99% of the time a
lack of SLP configuration.

Can you ping the server from the client?  If so, put the server's IP
address in the tree field of the login dialog.  That should get you
running enough to give you time to read on how to configure SLP.

Or, you could load IPX.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard
5/2/2004 6:28:26 AM
> ohh, ugh.  I just kind of mentally added an extra "1" at the end of
> that...

Right, the *theory* is that you can use the Server Consolidation Utility
with 6.5 going on new hardware to do this. -- I just don't know if it
works.

--
Barry Schnur
Barry

 Opinions expressed above are not
 necessarily those of Novell Inc.

0
Andrew
5/3/2004 11:36:10 PM
an i meant to add - you can also try to ping the workstation from the
server.

LOAD PING <ip address of workstation>.

If you cannot ping another device, see if you can ping the default
gateway.  Then, try to ping each device that is in the communcation
line between the server & workstation.

--
Cheers!
    Richard Beels
    http://www.dsi-consulting.com
    Collaboration without complication

0
Richard

Netware 4.1 with Netware SAA 4.0 upgrade to Netware 5.1
Dear sirs, I would like to know what is the correct procedure to upgrade a Netware 4.1 with Netware for SAA 4.0 server to Netware 5.1. This is the last server we have to upgrade, all the other are already on netware 5.1. Can I just proceed with a inplace upgrade? If so, Do I have to change anything in Netware for SAA? What kind of service pack should I use on Netware 5.1? After upgrade do I need saa40020.exe for netware 5.1? Just a few questions to make sure I'am on the right track. Thanks in advance Ger van de Kolk I did a 4.1o to 5.0 with SAA4.0 a coup...

Netware 5.1, Netware 5.1 SP6, Netware 5.1 SP8, Nici
I'm building a test network that is currently a mess. This network will be used to test the migration of my 10 netware 5.1 Sp 6 servers to NW 6.5. I'm putting two netware 5.1 servers and one MS 2003 server into the test network. Testserver 1 is a 5.1 SP6 server with a master replica. When installing Testserver 2 using the NW51SP6 overlay, the installation failed with a css.nlm "waiting for xmgr" error. Consequently, I was going to create a 5.1 server and then install the SP6 overlay or the SP6 depending on what worked best. My NW51 original disks are scratched and...

NetWare 4.11, NetWare for SAA, NetWare 6.5
Hi, we have 5 netware 4.11 servers. 2 are in the main office and 3 are in external offices, connected via vpn (DSL). The 2 servers in the main office are in tree1, the other 3 servers have there own 3 trees. One of the servers in the main office runs nw4saa and hostprint and we have to keep this running approx. 8-10 months. But we want to install 5 new netware 6.5 servers (2 in the main office and 3 in the 3 external offices). My plan is to install 1 server in the main office with ip and ipx installed (no scmd) to keep contact with the nw4saa server. The second ser...

Netware client 4.6 4.7 and 4.8 with Netware 6.5?
Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware 6.5? As I'll be doing an upgrade and don't want to go around the workstations twice to configure them. Thanks > Can I run 4.6, 4.7 and 4.8 of the Netware Client without issues with Netware > 6.5? You can run them but not sure without issues since some of those clients were not tested against NetWare6.5 -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) John, They *should* run okay, but there will have been no testing done with 4.6 or 4.7, and ...

installing netware 6 into netware 5.1 enviroment
we have now have 3 novell 5.1 servers all with service-pack-8 which means that DS.NLM is now version 8.85c I am trying to install a NEW novell netware 6.0 server into the existing NDS and when I get to the screen eDirectory-Installation I get a little window that says "eDirectory installing" and on the next day its still there....... I have tried installing the NEW server with novell 6.0 in a new TREE and it works perfectly (?) at least I can log-on to both TREEs and things like "Novell Server Consolidation Utility" seem to work OK. In order to install Nove...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

Have Groupwise 5.5 on Netware 5.1 going to Netware 6.5
HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade going to cause a problem. And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware 6.5 ? thanks Dave HI, dw@dymaxion.ca wrote: > > HI there...I have a client that wants to upgrade from Netware 5.1 to > 6.5...they have Groupwise 5.5 on that server at present...is the upgrade > going to cause a problem. MOst likely not, however... > And is Groupwise 5.5 compatiable with Netware > 6.5 ? Not officially. It will most ...

Netware 5.1 and Netware 6.5 together
Hello, I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5 servers into my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems? How will eDirectory know if the client access uses the Netware 5.1 liceence or the Netware 6.5 license? Any suggestion is really appreciated. Thanks, calvin > I have 8 Netware 5.1 servers. I like to install two Netware 6.5 servers into > my Netware 5.1 tree. Will that cause any problems? The biggest thing to look at is what version of eDirectory you have on the 5.1 machines. What version(s) do you have? > ...

Netware 6.5 & Netware 5.1
We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present tree? I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the recommendation, but for various reasons we are not going to upgrade DS. Hi, marmagnac@ochsner.org wrote: > > We currently are running NW 5.1, NDS 8.85c. > Are there any ramifications installing a NW 6.5 server into our present > tree? As long as you execute the deployment manager once, no. > I realize the upgrading NDS 8.85c to eDirectory would be the > recommendation, but ...

Upgrading from Netware 5.1 to netware 6.5
Hi, I plan to migrate my 4 Netware 5.1 servers to netware 6.5. What action do I have to do first?Upgrade DS version, latest patchs... My configuration is : - Netware 5.1 SP5 - DHCP is running - NDPS Broker, Manager - DS version 10330.03 - ZfD 3.2 - DirXml 1.1 + passwordSync I also plan to migrate to NIM 2.0 (or IDM, I don't know how to call that!) and ZEN 4 What is the best method?Any feedback experience on projects like this would really be appreciate! Email is also acceptable! Regards, Maurice TADANG I would apply the sp7 patch to the 5.1 servers, then up...

Upgrade to Netware 6.5 from Netware 5.1
Currently on NW5.1 with a few servers at main and remote offices. Want (need) to upgrade to newer NOS, so my logical choice would be OES with the Netware option (and so that I can start playing with the Linux option). On the training side I'd appreciate a few pointers. I currently have a NW5.1 CNA and several years experience. I'd like to get the necessary training to be able to upgrade and administer Netware 6.5, hopefully with some exposure to the Linux flavor on the side to get me started. Preferably a certfication would help but not mandatory. In the old days I&...