How much memory can Netware use?

Is Netware subject to the same limitations as Windows with a 4GB space
due to addressing issues on 32 bit processors or can it access
additional memory for caching, etc?? Basically is there any reason to
put more than 4GB in the server?

Thanks, Don
0
Donald

No reason to go more than 4GB, IMO.  I've never had to go over that, and
if you do, reconsider what you have loaded and how it is being used.

Donald S. wrote:
> Is Netware subject to the same limitations as Windows with a 4GB space
> due to addressing issues on 32 bit processors or can it access
> additional memory for caching, etc?? Basically is there any reason to
> put more than 4GB in the server?
>
> Thanks, Don
0
Duane
11/30/2005 7:58:15 PM
Donald,

> Is Netware subject to the same limitations as Windows with a 4GB space
> due to addressing issues on 32 bit processors or can it access
> additional memory for caching, etc?? Basically is there any reason to
> put more than 4GB in the server?

It can use more than 4GB - the additional memory will be used for NSS
caching. However, as it needs to access it via PAE, there is a
performance hit when accessing the memory above 4GB. I'd stick with
under 4GB.

--
Hamish Speirs
Novell Support Forums Volunteer Sysop.

http://haitch.net

(Please, no email unless requested. Unsolicited support emails will
probably be ignored)
0
Hamish

Can Netware 6.0 licenses be used on Netware 6.5 ?
Hello, I have currently installed Netware 6.5SP5 on two servers. One is a HP proliant. And the other is a backup server. Anyway some one offered me licenses for Netware 6.0 Am wondering if they will work on NW6.5 ?. Apparently they never needed them. Any help appreciatted Kevin > I have currently installed Netware 6.5SP5 on two servers. One is a HP > proliant. And the other is a backup server. > > Anyway some one offered me licenses for Netware 6.0 > > Am wondering if they will work on NW6.5 ?. Apparently they never needed > them. > No,...

Install Netware 6.5 in current Netware 6 for DirXML use?
I would like to install Netware 6.5 in our current NW6.0 environemnt for using the Dirxml starter pack. Any issues such as I have only SP2 on all servers can not go to SP3 at the moment. I know DirxML will require a replica of DirxMl accounts needed so can the two versions of Directory servcies co-exists alright? I would lik eto know if I can simply insert the new NW6.5 into our current tree with out changes to the current NW6 + SP2 environment? Thanks Bradley Bowness, Although SP is recommended, there shouldn't be any compatibility problems. Just be sure to r...

Can Netware 6.0 licenses be used on Netware 6.5 ?
Hello, I have currently installed Netware 6.5SP5 on two servers. One is a HP Proliant server. And the other is a backup server. Anyway some one offered me licenses for Netware 6.0 Am wondering if they will work on NW6.5 ?. Apparently they never needed them but I ain't sure they will work. Any help appreciatted Kevin Duplicate post And the answer is no, 6.0 licenses won't work on 6.5. (nor the other way around). -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connection Volunteer Sysop Kevin as Barry says 6.0 is only good on a 6.0 server. You can have both in the...

Installing Netware. Can memory requirements circumvented?
I am trying to install Netware 6.5 OES on a spare box to use as a test bed. To play with installing/configuring various components. We are a small 1 server shop and I would like to play with some of the other components that come with Netware out of the box. Unfortunately the install gives a message about need 512 and the box only has 384 (Note to Novell: THis should be the 1st thing checked, before the install process even gets a chance to get going) So I wonder if there is a switch that will allow Netware to be forced to install regardless of Memory (understood its not reco...

Can I use netware 6 traditional volumes on a Netware 5.1 server?
Thank you in advance Ismael Valero Hi, Ian Tasney wrote: > > Thank you in advance No, you can't. CU, -- Massimo Rosen Novell Support Connection Sysop No emails please! http://www.cfc-it.de ...

How much memory can NetWare 6.5 access?
My apologies if posted twice. I do not think my previous psot took. NetWare 6.0 could only recognize 4 gb of ram. Is that still true with 6.5? Chris In novell.support.netware.6x.install-upgrade Chris.Murzda@nospam.com wrote: > My apologies if posted twice. I do not think my previous psot took. > NetWare 6.0 could only recognize 4 gb of ram. Is that still true with 6.5? There is 'recognize' and 'good idea'. IIRC, NW65 can recognize memory over 4GB, but thanks to 32-bit architecture accessing it is a rather expensive operation. Again, IIRC, memory abo...

Netware doesn't appear to be using installed memory
Hello: I have a server that has 12 gig of ram installed on it. Netware (version 6.0, sp5) is only showing 4 gig of ram. (when I issue the 'memory' command at the system console) When I look at the statistics in the System Memory Information page it looks like the remaining 8 gig of memory is being displayed as Extended Server Memory. When I expand this and look at the graph it shows only 1% of the extended server memory is being accessed. However.... When I look at Monitor under 'available cache buffers' it's only 53 percent available. Shouldn't available...

Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in opensuse linux
Hi, Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in opensuse Linux. can anybody support us.... Thanks & Regards, prasad -- victoryprasad ------------------------------------------------------------------------ On 06/29/2011 09:06 AM, victoryprasad wrote: > > Can't connect to netware 3.12 server using netware client 1.1. in > opensuse Linux. -=welcome=- new poster!! i'm just guessing, but this is the openSUSE forum and i have a feeling you are using Novell/Attachmatess SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (or maybe ...

Can I use suppport pack files during Netware 4.2 installation process
Is it possible to install NetWare 4.2 + SP9 simultaneosly? I have NW4.2 installation kit and SP9 files. Can i combine them to get NW4.2 SP9 installation kit? No. There is no 4.2 SP9 ISO file. Sorry. -- Dave Lunn NSC SysOp http://support-forums.novell.com ...

Netware 6x Memory
We currently run GroupWise on a Netware server running 4GB of Memory. We would like to increase this amount to 8GB of memory. When we run the Memory command in Netware we see total server memory 3,997,144 and total extended server memory 4,390 megabytes. We will be upgrading from Netware 6.0 to Netware 6.5, will memory above 4GB still be seen as virtual? Is there a setting we can use to optimize Groupwise with 8GB of memory? With NW 6, 4G is what you get to work with. With NW 6.5 I think the balance of memory will be virtual memory and not directly addressed. -- B...

Using Netware Administraor in Netware 6.x
Can anyone tell me if there is documetation that states Netware Administrator can cause problems with NDS objects. I know Novell does not support Netware Admin since the release of Netware 6 but I thought I read somewhere that it can cause problems if objects are modified with Netware Admin and that you should only use ConsoleOne or Imanager in Netware 6 or 6.5. taddiaa@trinity-health.org wrote: > Can anyone tell me if there is documetation that states Netware > Administrator can cause problems with NDS objects. I know Novell does not > support Netware Admin since th...

Can Console One be used with Netware 4.11 using SPX/IPX
Does anyone know if Console One can be used with Netware 4.11 running SPX/IPX??? Thanks, Dave ConsoleOne Admin utility shipped with NetWare5.x and later. It wasn't intended to support NetWare4.x but it does work very well. ConsoleOne does not rely solely on SPX/IPX but on the NCP connection to the server. Just like NWADMIN32.EXE, it works on IP and IPX connection as long as you have a NDS connection to a server. -- Edison Ortiz Novell Product Support Forum SysOp (No Email Support, Thanks !) ...

Using NetWare 6.5 licenses with NetWare 6?
Novell NetWare 6 Support Pack Revision 04 (C) Copyright 1983-2003 Novell Inc. All Rights Reserv Server Version 5.60.04 December 12, 2003 Novell eDirectory Version 8.6.2 SMP NDS Version 10350.30 December 15, 2003 Server License: Novell NetWare 6 Server 600 SN:301453 User Licenses: Novell NetWare 6 User 600 (Hard Stop) -------------- I've added 50 NetWare 6.5 & previous licenses. These new licenses are not being issued. All license certificates have been assigned to...

Using DOS and NetWare 6x
We are thinking about upgrading our 4.11 server that has Queue Based printing and is only on a full dos network to the newest version of Netware. I have a few questions: 1) Will I be able to manage and configure the server via dos workstations 2) Will I be able to print to the NDPS printers from dos machines? Note that this will be only a full dos network, there is no windows machines at all. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your reply, -- Richard L. Hankins Auction Services, Inc RH wrote: > We are thinking about upgrading our 4.11 server that has Queue Bas...

Web resources about - How much memory can Netware use? - novell.netware.6x.install

Novell NetWare vs. Microsoft networking

Netware • Tag • The Register

CAIA Lab FAQ