How move Nw65Sp8 -> OES2 (Without equipment changeover)

At this time:

GRAD = nw65sp8 (with master Replic. t was the first server in a tree..
with iManager, iPrint, LDAPS(security),  DA, https,... . As i`m
understand all security objects was created when server was installed) .
Users Login to this server, use volumes from this server, Printserver on
this server, the Web server, ftp)
ERCOG - oes2 (with R/w Replic)
Gw - Oes2 (with R/W Replic)

The purpose - to migrate from NetWare to OES.
Restriction - the server equipment remains invariable (the server
equipment that most).

Any suggestions please..

Serg

--
skoltogyan

skoltogyan

skoltogyan wrote:

>The purpose - to migrate from NetWare to OES.
>Restriction - the server equipment remains invariable (the server
>equipment that most).

Alas, Novell has no migration tool that allows this kind of migration. The
best option might be to use a computer (potentially a workstation) with
enough capacity, migrate your server to that machine, reinstall your
server with OES2/Linux and then migrate back the server.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel_Cox;2150028 Wrote:
> skoltogyan wrote:
>

> >The purpose - to migrate from NetWare to OES.
> >Restriction - the server equipment remains invariable (the server
> >equipment that most).
>
> Alas, Novell has no migration tool that allows this kind of migration.
> The
> best option might be to use a computer (potentially a workstation)
> with
> enough capacity, migrate your server to that machine, reinstall your
> server with OES2/Linux and then migrate back the server.
>
> --
> Marcel Cox
> http://support.novell.com/forums
> Marcel Cox's Profile: 'View Profile: Marcel_Cox - Novell - NetIQ -
> SUSE' (http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8)

Thank your for answer..
When do this  - what about Security, KMO  and below objects ...?

Serg

--
skoltogyan
skoltogyan's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=9261

0
skoltogyan
10/30/2011 7:36:01 PM
eDir objects are unaffected by this kind of migration.

--
Andrew C Taubman

Opinions expressed above are not
necessarily those of Novell Inc.
ataubman's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=34
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=447519

0
ataubman
10/30/2011 9:56:01 PM
skoltogyan wrote:

>When do this  - what about Security, KMO  and below objects ...?

If you use the proper migration tools, all your objects and key data will
be carried accross.

--
Marcel Cox
http://support.novell.com/forums
Marcel Cox's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=8
0
Marcel
11/1/2011 8:09:20 PM
skoltogyan;2150015 Wrote:
> At this time:
>
> GRAD = nw65sp8 (with master Replic. t was the first server in a tree..
> with iManager, iPrint, LDAPS(security),  DA, https,... . As i`m
> understand all security objects was created when server was installed) .
> Users Login to this server, use volumes from this server, Printserver on
> this server, the Web server, ftp)
> ERCOG - oes2 (with R/w Replic)
> Gw - Oes2 (with R/W Replic)
>
> The purpose - to migrate from NetWare to OES.
> Restriction - the server equipment remains invariable (the server
> equipment that most).
>
> Any suggestions please..
>

> Serg

Are you saying you don't have any spare hardware to migrate the NW
server to?

You can try this, but right now it's TOTALLY at your own risk (it's not
currently supported by Novell):

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/13315/place-upgrade-netware-open-enterprise-server

I tried this in the demo lab at Brainshare and it seemed to work okay
(although we were with limited with what was tested after that).  One
thing to note:
The in-place upgrade puts the temporary/backup DIB sets and stuff onto
the C drive partition on the NetWare server.

So if you have a really old NW install you may not have enough free
drive space to put the data on and I don't think the program checks for
that.

(ie, our DIB set and stuff is about 250 MB, and on a really really old
NW server we may have only had 50 MB free)

--
The opinions expressed are my own.
Check out my OES2 Guides:
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=447519

0
kjhurni
11/1/2011 8:46:02 PM
I would only add that this process is currently more appropriate for a
very simple deployment.   For example we have some servers which are
primarily storage - no additional services - not replica holders.   The
process works in test.   It might be useful for several of our systems.
But I'd have to do a LOT of testing to be comfortable doing this to a
server with a lot of services.   And if you HAVE the ability to test,
you probibly have the abiliyt ot do a proper migration to new hardware
using the supported migration tools.

-- Bob

--
Bob Mahar -- Novell Knowledge Partner
Do you do what you do at a .EDU?  http://novell.com/ttp
View this thread: http://forums.novell.com/showthread.php?t=447519

0
Bob
11/1/2011 11:56:01 PM
On 01/11/2011 20:46, kjhurni wrote:

> Are you saying you don't have any spare hardware to migrate the NW
> server to?

That's what I understood

> You can try this, but right now it's TOTALLY at your own risk (it's not
> currently supported by Novell):
>
> http://www.novell.com/communities/node/13315/place-upgrade-netware-open-enterprise-server

.... and I thought of suggesting the above but given it's unsupported
nature was more hesitant than yourself.

> I tried this in the demo lab at Brainshare and it seemed to work okay
> (although we were with limited with what was tested after that).  One
> thing to note:
> The in-place upgrade puts the temporary/backup DIB sets and stuff onto
> the C drive partition on the NetWare server.

Ditto I (and seemingly a lot of others) also played with this (and it
reminds I owe Martin some feedback).

> So if you have a really old NW install you may not have enough free
> drive space to put the data on and I don't think the program checks for
> that.
>
> (ie, our DIB set and stuff is about 250 MB, and on a really really old
> NW server we may have only had 50 MB free)

There are limitations with this solution.  Support is obviously the main
one (the individual components used are supported but not the total
solution).

The demo featured in both Martin's BrainShare session and the demo lab
involved an in-place migration from NetWare 6.5 to OES11.  Given OES11
is 64-bit only that assumes you are using 64-bit hardware.  Unless
NetWare 6.5 has recently been installed (which is still a possibility)
my experience is that you're likely using 32-bit hardware so an in-place
upgrade to OES11 is not physically possible.  That still leaves 32-bit
OES2 SP3 as a target and theoretically the same procedure should still
work (though note only 64-bit OES2 SP3 has been tested).

The process also makes a lot of assumptions and that's the bit that
makes me nervous - demos are controlled (to make sure they work!) but
real-life isn't quite so simple!

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.
Simon