Fresh NW6.5 SP8 install from CD to Dell PowerEdge T310 hangs

I am trying to install Netware 6.5 SP8 onto a Dell PowerEdge T310 from a
CD created from an .iso file from Novell.  It seems to work fine until
the install program gets to "Matching drivers to hardware devices..."
when it hangs.  The only thing to do is a reboot.  The server has a
X3470 Xeon Processor, 2.93 GHz8M Cache, Turbo, HT, and a PERC H700 RAID
with 512 MB Cache.  I have gone into the BIOS settings multiple times
but to no avail, it always hangs at the driver matching point.  I have
made a record of what I have changed in the BIOS:

Cores per processor:  from ALL to Single
Logical processor:  from ENABLED to DISABLED
C States:  from ENABLED to DISABLED
Execute Disable:  from ENABLED to DISABLED

None of this has helped.

I was getting excited about this tid:  '2974107: ACPI PSM module update
for NetWare 6.5 SP5'
(http://support.novell.com/docs/Readmes/InfoDocument/2974107.html) that
talks about psm7.exe, but I cannot use it because I don't have a SYS:
volume to extract the file into the root thereof.  And the TID talks
about SP5, so I don't think it applies to my situation.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

--
tonyrowlett

tonyrowlett

On 17/01/2012 22:46, tonyrowlett wrote:

> I am trying to install Netware 6.5 SP8 onto a Dell PowerEdge T310 from a
> CD created from an .iso file from Novell.  It seems to work fine until
> the install program gets to "Matching drivers to hardware devices..."
> when it hangs.  The only thing to do is a reboot.  The server has a
> X3470 Xeon Processor, 2.93 GHz8M Cache, Turbo, HT, and a PERC H700 RAID
> with 512 MB Cache.  I have gone into the BIOS settings multiple times
> but to no avail, it always hangs at the driver matching point.  I have
> made a record of what I have changed in the BIOS:

Note sure what you mean by "CD created from an .iso file from Novell" -
NetWare 6.5 comes on two CDs, OS and PRODUCTS, or one DVD. If possible I
would use the DVD .iso from
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=dpIR3H1ymhk~ to save
swapping CDs.

> Cores per processor:  from ALL to Single
> Logical processor:  from ENABLED to DISABLED
> C States:  from ENABLED to DISABLED
> Execute Disable:  from ENABLED to DISABLED
>
> None of this has helped.
>
> I was getting excited about this tid:  '2974107: ACPI PSM module update
> for NetWare 6.5 SP5'
> (http://support.novell.com/docs/Readmes/InfoDocument/2974107.html) that
> talks about psm7.exe, but I cannot use it because I don't have a SYS:
> volume to extract the file into the root thereof.  And the TID talks
> about SP5, so I don't think it applies to my situation.
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Have you seen the thread @
http://forums.novell.com/forum/showthread.php?t=407189 which suggests
copying UHCIDRV.CAD to C:\NWUPDATE\OHCIDRV.CAD resolved the problem.

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner

Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program.  See novell.com/ttp for more details.
Simon
1/19/2012 4:48:37 PM
Yes, that is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. I was using an .iso
file that was downloaded from Novell.  It is unquestionalbly the correct
one.  Also, yes, I did see that link.  It just flat won't install.  One
thing that I have heard from a few people is to virtualize the box and
install NW6.5 as a slice.  Meanwhile, I'm toying with SLES 11 SP1 and
OES 11.

Many thanks for your response.

--
tonyrowlett
tonyrowlett's Profile: http://forums.novell.com/member.php?userid=91059

0
tonyrowlett

Installing nw6.5 hangs when installing edirectory
I am posting this in this forum because, while it is a netware installation, it appears to be actually an edirectory problem. I am having dificulty installing a netware 6.5 server into a 4.11 tree. The install doesn't go any further than "installing edirectory . . ." when you try to join an existing tree. The only error I see in the logger screen is "Admin Volume Startup: Error resolving volume name = -601" which may be normal for this phase of the install. The file server object (FS1) has been created, as well as another object (PS_FS1). The server is no...

PowerEdge 4300 NW6.5 install hangs
Install proceeds normally until the SCSICD and SCSIHD drivers load. The looger screen shows that the CD mounts. It says that the SCSIHD driver loaded, but the install screen spins forever on Matching Drivers, Please Wait. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, ken Two things to check 1) Do the installs from the SP5 ISO's rather than the distribution CD's. 2) Make sure the CDROM is cabled and jumpered correctly: Ideally, the CDROM should be the only IDE device in the mix and jumpered as master. -- Barry Schnur Novell Support Connecti...

NW6.5 SP8 Install hangs at NSSMU?
I'm having a 'right laugh' with this HP DL380 G6 server. I've added the P410i RAID driver, and the NIC drivers were automatically detected. I get to the SYS volume creation, specify a size (15GB if its relevant) and then nothing. The Install hangs. I have left it over half an hour, and it still flashes "please wait" on the "Netware installation - NSS management utility" screen. I can't Alt+Esc to the console screen either, it just beeps. Tried twice to make sure, once with an SP7 overlay, same problem. HELP!!! Thanks Alan Hi,...

NW6.5 SP8 installing on a Dell Vostro220
Hi i was trying to install NW6.5 SP8 on a Dell vostro 220, using custom install and the following drivers: MPS14.PSM with IDEHD.CDM and IDECD.CDM as storage drivers and with RTGESRV.LAN as the LAN Driver I was able to create a 8GB Sys Volumen and they all seemed to be working but when the installation program starts to copy systems files to the SYS Vol the installation stops randomly with this error: SERVER-5.70-1534 nmID=B0013 Device "[V025-A0-D0:0] WDC WD1600AAJJ-75M0A0 f/w:02.03E02" deactivated by driver due to device failure. and it never finish to copy the...

Installation of NW6.5 on a Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server
Hi ALL! I have a Dell PowerEdge 2900 Server with a Dell Integrated PERC 5/i RAID Controller in it and want to install a NW6.5 OS. The Problem: NW6.5 is not certified by Dell on this Hardware, so Dell do not have any drivers for this controller, I have talked with the Dell Support. But Novell has certified this PowerEdge 2900 server as you can see in this link: http://developer.novell.com/yes/84327.htm . There is a link to download the drivers but it didn't work, so I can not download this files from the Novell Homepage. I alway get a 404 Error! The Question: Where can I g...

Dell PowerEdge 2650 Netware 5.1 Install
I am trying to install NW5.1 on a PowerEdge2650 server with Gigabit onboard card to add to our current tree. During the install, on a GUI screen once you typed the IP address, mask and gateway, I can't go anywhere. Immediately server abends and gets frozen. I tried to force the speed to a different speed but no help. We use Cisco 4006 switch and ports set to Auto Negotiate. We even tried to force the speed on the switch but no avail. I can install the server on a test lab without connecting to the switch ok. Any help out there ? Using the B57.lan or Q57....

Unable install 6.5 on Dell PowerEdge T310
I'm attempting to install Netware 6.5 SP8 on a new Dell T310 with a quad Xeon and a PERC 6i. The install hangs each time at the "matching device drivers to hardware" screen. When it hangs, it is completely locked up and will not respond to the keyboard. I can only power off and start again. I've updated the BIOS, tried various different BIOS configuration settings all without making any difference. The hang occurs at: Loading Module ACPIDRV.PSM Auto-loading module acpica.nlm Auto_loa -- phopwood ----------------------------------------------------...

fresh install NW6.5 with Arcserve v9 install errors string index out of range
I have a fresh install of NW 6.5 with SP1.1 applied. I am trying to install Arcserve v9. On the workstation (win2ksp4) I install from I get an error string index out of range: -1 Looking at the ni.log I see unrecoverable error in driver.mainHallway() I was hunting around ca's esupport site and seem to have learned the NW 6.5 needs/wants Arcserve 9.01 (or that 9.01 support NW6.5) Can I install 9 and then apply the patch to get to 9.1? This is a fresh install of Netware on a HP DL380 G2 using an external HP DLT80 drive any help/hints/advice on what to do/what needs to b...

Planning to Install Netware 6.5 on Dell Poweredge T105
I am guessing to start this Install I am going to boot off an overlay cd? This server has 2 80 Gig SATA drives. really one 80 Gig drive because one is for mirroring. but we are not using more than 500 megs for data currently anyway. Someone said last time during the Netware 6.5 install it would ask for the overlay but it never did. This was in a previous install to a Gateway ALR 6400 with only one 50 gig suzi hd. Also I have no idea, Is Dos on the neware 6.5 cd or How do I get 500 mb Dos partition onto the sata drive. Last time I installed Dr. DOS from some floppys that I downlo...

Netware 6.5 install on a Dell PowerEdge 1800 Server
I have a blank Dell PowerEdge 1800 server that I am trying to install Netware 6.5 on but it will not get past initailizing the debugger after it goes to the system console at the beginning of the installation. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you, Chris Adcock cadcock@wind.tamu.edu , > Does > anyone have any ideas? > Try installing from the SP2 overlay media. Also. How much RAM? - Anders Gustafsson, Engineer, CNE5, ASE NSC Volunteer Sysop (http://support-forums.novell.com) Pedago, The Aaland Islands (N60 E20) Using VA 5.51 build 315 on Windows 2000 bui...

Netware 6.5 install fails on Dell PowerEdge 2300
Hi, I am trying to install Netware 6.5 SP5 onto a Dell PowerEdge 2300 server. It is a stock configuration with nothing out of the ordinary. I am able to boot of the CD create the DOS partition, begin the install, etc. During the install on detection of storgae devices. It says that it is unable to locate the CD drive. The CD drive is a SCSI device attached to the Adaptec 7860. I scanned Novell's site and found someone else that was having the same issue. Their resolution was to install via a PCI/IDE card with a cd drive attached. Has anyone else out there ran into th...

PowerEdge 1950 hangs on installation Netware 6.5 SP7
I want to install Netware 6.5 SP7 on a new Poweredge 1950 III. When I try to mark the IP Protokoll during the installation the server hang. The monitor is black and the keyboard and mouse didn�t work. Is there any Problem with the PowerEdge (Quad Core Xeon, Perc 6i)? -- steuer ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Steuer, > I want to install Netware 6.5 SP7 on a new Poweredge 1950 III. When I > try to mark the IP Protokoll during the installation the server hang. > The monitor is black and the keyboard and mouse didn�t work. &g...

Netware 5.1 SP7 to Netware 6.5 SP1b
Did first in-place upgrade in Production yesterday. Two issues: 1) Install seemed to hang at the very end. Closing installation files. (We let it set for 20 minutes and then closed diaglog box). Then was able to restart server. Server was not hung. 2) Can not access iManager Do I have to recreate CA for 6.5? My test network which has different hardware works. I will compare results. Any suggestions on what I can try next. thanks, Linda Was finally able to get iManager to work. Found several tids. TIDS 10068769, 10086939, 10087650, 10088796...

NW6.5 SP 5 install hangs
I am trying to install NW6.5SP5 on an IBM 8843 Blade using SAN boot. All the firmware had been updated to the latest versions. When I start the install, all goes well until it starts to load the drivers, then the server just "hangs". I can move around the few screens there are, and the last thing I see loaded is the SCSIHD. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Hi, Richard Chicallo wrote: > > I am trying to install NW6.5SP5 on an IBM 8843 Blade using SAN boot. If using the qlogic adpaters to access the SAN, check the maximum lun setting in the qlogic bios. T...

Web resources about - Fresh NW6.5 SP8 install from CD to Dell PowerEdge T310 hangs - novell.netware.6x.install

Dell PowerEdge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Dell gives the name PowerEdge (PE) to its server product line. Most PowerEdge servers use the x86 architecture . The early exceptions to this, ...

PowerEdge R630 Delivers 10x the performance for Microsoft SQL Server
Computerworld Australia is the leading source of technology news, analysis and tools for IT decision makers, managers and professionals. ...

Review: Dell's 13G PowerEdge R730xd, a workhorse server with a kick
Hardware improvements, rich storage options, and plenty of room for expansion add up to a very fast, flexible 2U workhorse

New Dell PowerEdge: More power, deeper management
First look: 12-gen, 2U Dell PowerEdge R720xd pairs hardware heft with first-rate remote management tools

Dell Expands HPC Portfolio With PowerEdge C6320 System
The new PowerEdge server offers high performance and power efficiency in a 2U chassis that targets the HPC, hyperscale and Web-hosted spaces. ...

ET deals: $1000 30-inch UltraSharp monitor, 46% off PowerEdge server, more
We have a number of picks today, with the headline deal featuring Dell’s excellent 30-inch UltraSharp monitor. This the right time to make a ...

Power True Agility with AMD Opteron Processors, Dell PowerEdge Servers, & Microsoft Hyper-V - Wp - InfoWorld ...
... distinctive capabilities of a virtual server infrastructure that combines Microsoft Hyper-V AMD Opteron multi-core processors, and Dell PowerEdge ...

Cuisinart CBT-1000 PowerEdge Review
It’s not always easy to find a blender which can perform well while not costing a substantial amount of money, however the Cusinart CBT-1000 ...

Dell takes converged systems to small sites with PowerEdge VRTX
Dell has introduced a converged computing, storage and networking system for small and remote offices, the PowerEdge VRTX, saying it will let ...

Save $500+ on a Dell PowerEdge T110 II Dual-Core Server
There's no hard drive or operating system, but even with those additional costs, this is still a top-notch value.